Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 15,509 times

Advertisements

Anyone go there/graduate and have some words to share? It looks affordable but the graduation rate is low and job prospects poor for a lot of folks. Not sure why this is. Maybe taking too serious a degree program in a place that is so lax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 07:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
My guess is that mainland employers would simply think that you went there to have fun and not be serious about the degree, no matter how good the school may actually be.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,306,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by master of the night man View Post
Maybe taking too serious a degree program in a place that is so lax?
Hawaii can be laid-back in a lot of ways, but that's a pretty big stereotype! There are a lot of very hardworking professionals in the legal field and at UH law school. I've met a few students at the law school lately...I don't think that too many students leave the program once they are in because they are lax!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Hawaii can be laid-back in a lot of ways, but that's a pretty big stereotype! There are a lot of very hardworking professionals in the legal field and at UH law school. I've met a few students at the law school lately...I don't think that too many students leave the program once they are in because they are lax!
I understand your comment fully.

However, think of the mainland perspective on this. My brother-in-law went to Tulane and was inundated with job offers when he graduated. I ran this by him earlier and he seemed to scoff. Again, mainland perspective. Kinda like graduating from Pepperdine University in Malibu. No matter how good the program really is, some will have negative connotations.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,602 times
Richardson seems to be pretty well-respected around here (and many, if not most, of the attorneys in Honolulu went there), so if you plan on staying in Hawaii after graduation, it might not be a detriment. Now, it's true that my 'ivy-league' law degree turns some heads here, but maybe that would be true most places? It was no big deal in Ithaca, but that's because 80% of the lawyers in Ithaca had also gone to Cornell.

I don't think a degree from Richardson would be any less respected than one from any other second- or third-tier school. A lot depends on what you want to do with it - are you heading for BigLaw? A smaller firm? Hanging out your own shingle? In a big city? A small town? East coast? West? Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: