Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 PM

687 posts, read 2,132,528 times

Advertisements

2 years ago, after hearing his fishing buddies rhapsodize about Hawaii, my father-in-law decreed that we would have a family reunion in Kona. So all 30 of us flew in for a week. Had a great time. The only major challenge was that because my in-laws really enjoy each other's company, and wanted to do everything together, we had to find activities that would be interesting and do-able for a group of 30, ranging in age from 2 to 73.

Everyone enjoyed it so much that the grandparents have again decreed a family reunion in Hawaii this summer. This time Honolulu. Any suggestions for fun things to do? It should be easy enough for a 4 year old, and a 75 year old.

Last time my parents-in-law climbed down volcanos and hiked up steep hills with no problems... they've slowed down a little this year, but are still relatively fit.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM

271 posts, read 1,074,224 times
O would say snokeling, the ones that don't want to snorkel, can sit on the beach, socialize, and tan. And there is plenty of room in the ocean for 30 people.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Yes! Will bring snorkeling gear. It was so exciting to see the big turtles last time . Thanks unsmicck. Any suggestions about which beaches have gentle surf?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 PM

682 posts, read 2,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Yes! Will bring snorkeling gear. It was so exciting to see the big turtles last time . Thanks unsmicck. Any suggestions about which beaches have gentle surf?
How are you all going to get around?

The best snorkeling on the island is at Hanauma Bay, which you'll need a car to get to. There's a steep walk down to the beach, but there's an optional shuttle for pretty cheap (I think it 50 cents down and $1 up, and they have some kind of unlimited day pass).

If you're in Waikiki, snorkeling at Sans Souci is nice... that's the far Diamond Head end of Waikiki beach.

I think Kailua beach is awesome. I see people snorkel there often, though the one time I did it I found pretty low visibility. But the beach is beuatiful and would be worth a trip even if the snorkeling wasn't great.

There are some nice spots on the North Shore, too, if you'll be here in the summer. One of the nicest is probably Shark's Cove, but it's not a great place for a big group, I think. There's not much of a beach for folks to hang out at if they're not snorkeling.

You might also find out if there are any fun festivals or events going on while you're here. Here's one place to look: Featured Oahu Festivals - visit-oahu.com

Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
This might not come under the heading of "fun" however, visiting the Arizona Memorial is certainly something to consider. I was very impressed while there on July 3rd last year by all of the families with young children who were there. It is free and easily accessed by anyone.

Have a great time on your reunion! Wish you were coming back to Big Island; we need the business!! Aloha.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,313,386 times
Another not necessarily "fun" trip, but certainly worthwhile...visiting Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific. It fits nicely with the Arizona Memorial visit...a bit of history to balance out the beach days. After you view the monument, the chapel and the maps, be sure to walk up the hill to the scenic overlook--the view is amazing.

Getting out of Waikiki:

Consider a visit to the Dole Plantation. A bit "touristy" but the kids will enjoy the maze and the samples are great!

Also...Plantation Village is one of my favorites. It's a bit off the beaten path, but it is one of the places where you can get a real taste of the history of the sugar-era.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
Polynesian Cultural Center. How could I forget that. There is also a zoo and an aquarium.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM

158 posts, read 380,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post

The best snorkeling on the island is at Hanauma Bay, which you'll need a car to get to. There's a steep walk down to the beach, but there's an optional shuttle for pretty cheap (I think it 50 cents down and $1 up, and they have some kind of unlimited day pass).
I'll second that-- I know that several companies will pick you up and provide you gear for roughly 15 bucks I want to say-- at least that was the price in March. With a large group you might be better off renting the gear as well as a van and transporting yourselves. One note- they are closed Tuesdays so be sure to plan around that if you decide this is something you might want to do.

The first time I visited we went to the Polynesian cultural center- I recalled enjoying it although I was younger (probably 10?) and the luau was fun at the end! My Mom & Grandma also enjoyed it as I recall.

I've never been but the sea life park was reccommended to my mom via a co-worker. Perhaps someone who has actually been could better tell you if it's worthwhile or not!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Have a great time on your reunion! Wish you were coming back to Big Island; we need the business!! Aloha.
Yes, we're very conscientious of our responsibilities as tourists -- keep Hawaii green, spend lots of money

Love beautiful Kona, so def will come back another time!

Thanks for the great suggestions newUHprof, konakat, cynmkolohe, rose125, and unsmicck. We're really looking forward to doing and seeing all your suggestions

BTW-have looked at other Hawaii threads, esp the ones about insects, and I can't say that we were really bothered by them last time. But of course, coming from Texas, where the cockroaches can carry off your dinner plate, and mosquitos look like gas tankers, we were very comfortable with Hawaii's bugs.

Last edited by karuna95; 05-04-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM

2,272 posts, read 4,139,568 times
If everyone is up for a hike you could always hike to the top of Diamond Head; the views are beautiful and there are some WWII bunkers (we used to be able to find spent shells, but I am pretty certain they have all been found by now- I am pretty old!). Manoa falls is also another beautiful hike.

Take a drive around the island, stop for a plate lunch and eat at one of the beach parks. Sea Life Park was always fun (the kids especially love it), it is certainly not like Sea World but it is fun.

There are places to horseback ride, ATV trails & activities and a whole host of other activities - it really depends upon what your family enjoys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu