Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 11:35 AM

269 posts, read 784,456 times

Advertisements

My sister and I were both born in Hawaii (born at Hickam AFB), and my sister has not been back since. I visited with my dad once when I was 14, but now I am 28! We are visiting at the very end of August/beginning of September.

I want to show her the 'must see' sites in Oahu. I remember the Napoli lookout when I was younger, but can't seem to find it on the map? I also want to find a secluded beach if that exists on Oahu. Maybe a short hike where we can find waterfalls or a commanding view? How cheap can I get to Kauai round-trip? Also, my sis is a culinary chef and loves good food (not necessarily white-tablecloth, but fresh, natural, and delicous).

Any helpful ideas would be much appreciated Thanks!

*Forgot to mention, we'll also have access to Air Force and Navy bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 12:23 PM

421 posts, read 2,535,405 times
I visited Oahu back in November '08 stayin Waikiki Beach for a week. I had rented a car but in reality you really don't need one because the bus system is pretty good there and if you're staying at a hotel some of these companies that give tours will pick you up right in front of the hotel. I did the Submarine dive with Atlantis, that was pretty cool. I also swam with the dolphins at sealife park. I had taken a tour that cost $29 and it was a really nice tour. I was on a bus with about 20 other people, somewhat of a short bus, but the driver was a local who knew all the good spots too. He made about 7 or 8 stops and even stopped for lunch near the North Shore. I did visit the Dole Plantation too, that's something I think everyone should see for themselves. I didn't get to visit Pearl Harbor this time, but I did visit the site back in 1998 when I had visited the first time. The zoo is quite nice too, but I don't think the aquarium was all the great. Hope this information is helpful to you. I do plan on returning sometime next year for another great vacation.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,014 times
First, you probably mean the Pali lookout. Not sure if it's marked on the maps, but drive the Pali Highway in either direction and you'll find it.

For secluded beaches, you've got to be willing to walk or drive a little bit (or a lot). Get out of Waikiki. One option is to head to the North Shore and then hike towards Kaena Point. There are beaches along the way, and any beach you gotta hike a mile to is less crowded than one with a parking lot right there.

Hikes to waterfalls include Manoa Falls (easy hike and very pretty, though I don't think really big sweeping views). It's a very short hike (less than a mile). If you want to continue the hike from the falls, you can go up the steep Aihualama trail, which then gives you the option of the Manoa Cliffs trail or the Tantalus trail, both with great views.

Haven't had my morning coffee yet, so the food rec's are not coming. Let's see:

High end: Alan Wong's and La Mer are both great, but really expensive. I also really liked the Top of Waikiki. You pay a lot for the great-view-in-a-spinning-restaurant, but the food is great, too.

Medium: Pinapple Room (by Alan Wong, in Macy's at Ala Moana mall) is awesome, just wish it wasn't in a department store. Also town and downtown (one of them is in Kaimuki, which is a fun neighborhood to visit and the other is at the State Art Museum, if you like museums) are both great.

Lower: Um, shrimp truck on the North Shore? (See the other thread here for rec's.)

I'll try to think of some more.

Other must-see things: snorkel at Hanauma Bay, see the Arizona memorial (especially since you were military brats like me!).

Last edited by newUHprof; 05-16-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 12:53 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,593,131 times
Good recommendations Uprof!
Also try if your a military brat the punchbowel. Alen Wongs is a must try the next time im at the bi Im taking a hop to Oahu just to go there. I havnt been on Oahu for 25 years other than the aiport lol.
As to the cheap rent you will be hard pressed to go that cheap unless you can get a Military disc? dunno?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: