Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 PM

16 posts, read 179,891 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, me and my boyfriend will be visiting Waikiki. (June 1st to June 5th) 4 night, 5 days. We have activities planned out such as Hanauma Bay, ATV ride, Jet Ski, Pearl Harbor etc....

I'm concerned about car rental. We only want it for ONE day. (we want to drive to north shore--shrimp trucks, shaved ice) and I know we can rent one at the airport, but we were not going to rent one until Thursday. Going all the way back to the airport seems like a waste of time. Are there any Car rentals somewhere along the island at an ok price? (30-40 dollars; you can get this price at the airport)

2. ATV rides/Jet Ski; Does any company have a combo on this? meaning, ride ATV for an hour or so, and afterward, they will take you to ride the jet skis?

3. Luaus; The popular ones: Polynesian, and Germaine's luau. What are your advice/opinons on this? I'm not expecting something GREAT, but more for the experience.

4. Manoa waterfall; I'm excited about this activity b/c I love doing outdoor stuff and I'm ready to see a waterfall. There's a company that does a tour on this. $45, picks you up, and takes about 2 hrs. Are these tours worth it or is this something I can take a cab and go there myself?

any inside advice would be great i'm sure. 4 night/5days just doesn't seem long enough for hawaii! =) so much stuff we would like to do. hopefully we will have enough time. THANKS EVERYONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:35 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,540,814 times
Try Enterprise Rental Car. They usually have much cheaper rates.

Enterprise Rental

Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,905,018 times
You didn't say where you're staying in Waikiki, but most hotel concierges can get you a rental car. We often stay at the Royal Hawaiian, but pick up a rental car at the Hyatt (about 3 blocks walk) reserved by the RH concierge. It's, like, $29 for the partial day plus tax for a subcompact -- no overnight parking fees (usually $20 in Waikiki). We walk to the Hyatt, sign the papers, pick up the car in the garage there, then return it there and walk back at the end of the day. No shuttles, no hassles.

BTW, I rented a car last week on Oahu when I was there for four days for a wedding, and it ended up costing about $45/day w/o taking the insurance, not including parking fees. Just for comparison's sake, I thought that might be helpful.

Best of luck. Enjoy your stay!

Last edited by whynot?; 05-30-2009 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-30-2009, 10:15 PM

16 posts, read 179,891 times
I'm staying at Aloha Surf. I'll ask them about car rentals. I didn't know that you can rent from other hotels. That's good to know. $45/day is not too bad considering it seems hassle-free; pickup/drop off/walk back to hotel. just what I wanted. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
You didn't say where you're staying in Waikiki, but most hotel concierges can get you a rental car. We often stay at the Royal Hawaiian, but pick up a rental car at the Hyatt (about 3 blocks walk) reserved by the RH concierge. It's, like, $29 for the partial day plus tax for a subcompact -- no overnight parking fees (usually $20 in Waikiki). We walk to the Hyatt, sign the papers, pick up the car in the garage there, then return it there and walk back at the end of the day. No shuttles, no hassles.

BTW, I rented a car last week on Oahu when I was there for four days for a wedding, and it ended up costing about $45/day w/o taking the insurance, not including parking fees. Just for comparison's sake, I thought that might be helpful.

Best of luck. Enjoy your stay!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
You could always ride The Bus out there and back. It would give you a slice of "everyday Hawaii" and be a lot less expensive.

Most of the luaus and excursions have tour buses which pick up folks in Waikiki and bring them to the events.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:54 AM

682 posts, read 2,799,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTstudent View Post
4. Manoa waterfall; I'm excited about this activity b/c I love doing outdoor stuff and I'm ready to see a waterfall. There's a company that does a tour on this. $45, picks you up, and takes about 2 hrs. Are these tours worth it or is this something I can take a cab and go there myself?
I haven't taken a tour, but I can't imagine what they could do that would be worth $45. I would either keep the car rental an extra day or hop the #5 bus (I think that's it... easy to check) to get there. The hike is very easy and scenic. One thing a guide might do is tell you about all of the plants you're seeing. But if you're doing it on your own time, you can go up to the Lyon Arboretum right next door. All the plants are labeled and folks can answer your questions.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,950,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
I haven't taken a tour, but I can't imagine what they could do that would be worth $45. I would either keep the car rental an extra day or hop the #5 bus (I think that's it... easy to check) to get there. The hike is very easy and scenic. One thing a guide might do is tell you about all of the plants you're seeing. But if you're doing it on your own time, you can go up to the Lyon Arboretum right next door. All the plants are labeled and folks can answer your questions.
Here's what you'll see at Manoa Falls:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...anorama755.jpg

Hank

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM

806 posts, read 2,346,275 times
The bus is fun, but takes quite a bit of time to stop at all of the stops.

I know they had an ATV adventure tour at the Waimea Valley park. No jet skis though, but the park is SO pretty, has nice birds, plants, a butterfly garden and a beautiful waterfall. Waimea Bay has beautiful reefs to go snorkeling at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: