Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:12 PM

13 posts, read 94,610 times

Advertisements

The Navy Exchange Mall (yes it's a huge mall) and Commissary are actually pretty close to AMR. You can use whatever Exchange and Commissary as long as you have your military ID. I shop at all-Schofield, Hickam AFB and NEX. As for distance between Pearl City and Ewa it's about a 20 min drive. If you want to live closer to Shafter then Pearl City would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 PM

209 posts, read 608,920 times
Thanks! ARe there any communities within 5 to 10 miles of Shafter or Scofield?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
How about High Schools, We will probably be at Ft. Shafter and aren't sure how the school system works.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 952 times
i am not military,but a 62 yr old female. where would be a good place, i am low income, but can afford studio or 1 bdm i would like to retire in oahu,, but unsure where is a nice enough place. thanks please rsvp sandra

Old 08-25-2012, 02:38 AM

33 posts, read 117,735 times
Google maps needs to become your best friend. You can start learning all the towns & neighborhoods and figure out driving times.

You can use any commissary & Exchange. I think the largest of each is at Pearl Harbor, which is used by members of all services. I live about 10 minutes from there, but find it pretty hectic (having recently moved here from a small town.) Therefore, I often choose to drive on over to MCAS Kaneohe Bay which is 20 minutes away. Their commissary & exchange are smaller, but modern & well-stocked, and far less crowded. I also enjoy the drive and getting to the more peaceful side of the island from time to time.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womacksandra View Post
i am not military,but a 62 yr old female. where would be a good place, i am low income, but can afford studio or 1 bdm i would like to retire in oahu,, but unsure where is a nice enough place. thanks please rsvp sandra
Aloha,

I think you are likely to get more traction if you post your question in a new thread rather than adding onto an old thread about military housing/living expense. Also, use the Search function to read through the many previous threads on this general topic in the archives here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu waku waku View Post
You can use any commissary & Exchange. I think the largest of each is at Pearl Harbor, which is used by members of all services.
Good info, thanks, but the original post was from 2009, and the OP is back on the mainland now and hasn't logged in here since 2011, so you may not get a reply from her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu