Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 05:34 PM

128 posts, read 540,820 times

Advertisements

Hi. So I am planning on moving to Honolulu next month from out of state and I was wondering if anyone could help with me with some questions.
1. Can I lease a car in Hawaii with an out-of-state driver's license? If not, what would I need to do to get a Hawaii driver's license?
2. Anyone know information on prices for leasing a car..lets say something simple like a honda civic?
3. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to take care of all the paperwork here where I am now then once I land in Hawaii, would I be able to simply just pick up my car and go whenever I want?

Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:08 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Hi. So I am planning on moving to Honolulu next month from out of state and I was wondering if anyone could help with me with some questions.
1. Can I lease a car in Hawaii with an out-of-state driver's license? If not, what would I need to do to get a Hawaii driver's license?
2. Anyone know information on prices for leasing a car..lets say something simple like a honda civic?
3. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to take care of all the paperwork here where I am now then once I land in Hawaii, would I be able to simply just pick up my car and go whenever I want?

Thanks~
Easiest way might be to contact a Honolulu Honda dealership and go thru Honda for the financing of the lease. I think Honda has had some nice lease deals on Civics and Accords lately.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,613 times
Again contact the dealership. Why a lease? wondering sometimes it can help but to the most part other no. I would see the car before you signed the paperwork because you will pay for wear and tear on the car after your lease is over. In WA you do not need a "in state" license but a incredible credit score. Leasing is not like it was back in the day of cheap down etc but with todays economy you maybe able to come up with a good deal? I would recommend you nego the deal over the phone and do the final paper work after checking the car out when you get there. The dealership should be able to pick you up and make everything work out easy for you if it is a done deal before you get there. I haven't sold for a year but to the most part only a business owner was it worth it to lease in the last 7 years. Meaning someone needing the write off and purchasing a car at least every two years. Again though today may have changed with the economy... doubt it though being the banks are really tight still.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Going thru a Honda dealer would put one in contact with American Honda Finance - first rate - good to deal with on my opinion. I have went thru them 3x and never had any sort of issue. One could have their local dealer do the paperwork and then arrive, check out the car and drive away.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 AM

203 posts, read 1,357,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post

Thanks~
http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/csd/veh...m#oos_transfer

You need to come in to the nearest driver licensing station and fill an application for an out of state transfer. Please bring your valid U.S. or Territory license and an original U.S. social security card. The two documents you present must match your name. If you changed your name through divorce, marriage, naturalization or Lieutenant Governor's office, please bring your original or certified state agency document. You will be required to take a general knowledge test. Upon passing the eye test and the written test, you will be given a type 3 (car) license. Click here to see fee table. If you fail the test, you need to wait 7 days before retaking and upon passing the test; you will be required to relinquish your valid out-of-state license. An expired out-of-state license is no longer transferable and therefore requires a road test and more fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: