Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM

206 posts, read 712,354 times

Advertisements

So I read about this today.... we don't live there but we just came back from Oahu a week ago. Do you think there is any truth or threat there? I know that sounds like a dumb question.. sorry. We visited Pearl Harbor while we were there and just being there and seeing all that had happen.. from JAPAN... it just infuriates me!! We loved Oahu and are planning on coming back in a couple of years. Everyone there were so friendly and helpful to us and we just loved it and didn't feel like we were on vacation.. we felt at home. I am jsut so upset over this.. I dont' really keep up with the news... seems like it's always bad news

[/b]pan warns that North Korea may fire missile at U.S. on Independence Day
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 4:55 PM on 18th June 2009

Comments (16) Add to My Stories
North Korea may launch a long-range ballistic missile towards Hawaii on American Independence Day, according to Japanese intelligence officials.
The missile, believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles, would be launched in early July from the Dongchang-ni site on the north-western coast of the secretive country.
Intelligence analysts do not believe the device would be capable of hitting Hawaii's main islands, which are 4,500 miles from North Korea.
Details of the launch came from the Japan's best-selling newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun.
Both Japanese intelligence and U.S. reconnaissance satellites have collated information pointing to the launch, according to the report.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,765,495 times
If he does, I hope the missle turns around and lands on his little head. He is a major nutjob for sure. He is Obama's Sadam.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:00 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,268,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie0929 View Post
So I read about this today.... we don't live there but we just came back from Oahu a week ago. Do you think there is any truth or threat there? I know that sounds like a dumb question.. sorry. We visited Pearl Harbor while we were there and just being there and seeing all that had happen.. from JAPAN... it just infuriates me!! We loved Oahu and are planning on coming back in a couple of years. Everyone there were so friendly and helpful to us and we just loved it and didn't feel like we were on vacation.. we felt at home. I am jsut so upset over this.. I dont' really keep up with the news... seems like it's always bad news

[/b]pan warns that North Korea may fire missile at U.S. on Independence Day
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 4:55 PM on 18th June 2009

Comments (16) Add to My Stories
North Korea may launch a long-range ballistic missile towards Hawaii on American Independence Day, according to Japanese intelligence officials.
The missile, believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles, would be launched in early July from the Dongchang-ni site on the north-western coast of the secretive country.
Intelligence analysts do not believe the device would be capable of hitting Hawaii's main islands, which are 4,500 miles from North Korea.
Details of the launch came from the Japan's best-selling newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun.
Both Japanese intelligence and U.S. reconnaissance satellites have collated information pointing to the launch, according to the report.
Considering the accuracy of the Taep'o-dong 2, the North Koreans might aim it towards Hawai'i and end up having it hit Guam instead.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
I am not too worried. Our military knows of the threat and is positioned to address it. I just hope that everyone remembers that this ability to counter a missile threat is the result of former President Reagan having the forethought to advance our safety with the development of the SDI - Strategic Defense Initiative. Let's hope our new president does not drop its' continued development believing that diplomacy works on nutcase regimes like North Korea and Iran.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 AM

8 posts, read 70,861 times
Is it ignorant to believe that we would have some way to see it coming, and able to shoot it down somewhere in the Pacific way before it could do any damage?

I could see if we were landlocked to someone, but I would think Hawaii let alone the mainland would be safe from a missile launch

Old 06-19-2009, 06:56 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,593,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I am not too worried. Our military knows of the threat and is positioned to address it. I just hope that everyone remembers that this ability to counter a missile threat is the result of former President Reagan having the forethought to advance our safety with the development of the SDI - Strategic Defense Initiative. Let's hope our new president does not drop its' continued development believing that diplomacy works on nutcase regimes like North Korea and Iran.
Im liking you more and more Mark!

It is proven again that it takes 1 to 2 decades for the actions of 1 President to take affect. IMHO

Old 06-19-2009, 06:04 PM

263 posts, read 1,006,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Im liking you more and more Mark!

It is proven again that it takes 1 to 2 decades for the actions of 1 President to take affect. IMHO
Does that mean a sitting president can't take credit when times are good (Clinton) and we can't blame another president for a bad economy (Bush)?

Last edited by SkyBob; 06-19-2009 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-19-2009, 06:18 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
Does that mean a sitting president can't take credit when times are good (Clinton) and we can't blame another president for a bad economy (Bush)?
You are learning....

Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
maybe Kim DingDong just wants to pay his respects and is simply shooting off one of his bottle rockets.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:55 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,391,686 times
If nothing else, this will be a strong reminder to all concerned how important Hawaii is in the Pacific Theater. And Mark, you're right, it may be a wake up call for our leaders to pay a little more attention to Hawaii as a strategic defense.

I'm in Phoenix now, but my heart and my kids are still in Hawaii. Prayin' for y'all that this little whacko in NK is a really really bad shot and just blowin' smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu