Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 PM

128 posts, read 541,389 times

Advertisements

In 7 days, my life is about to change i guess. Ill be moving to honolulu alone for work but also to look for change, adventure and new beginnings. I have a temporary sublet till end of summer for now but first thing i need is to buy a car. I plan on getting a HI drivers licenses sooner than later but would I be able to buy a new car with an out-of-state drivers license? Im also pretty young guy at 28 so im interested in meeting other friends my age. Are there any social groups that are specific for new to hawaii people?
I have no idea of what to expect when I arrive and no idea of what the people there will think of me either but I hope to have a great time. I hope to meet alot of new friends and just have a great experience all in all.
Thanks everyone and please wish me luck~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,186,816 times
Aloha and Good luck...

Yes you can buy a car with out of state license but for local rates and employement get a license right away- I actually used an out of state check but they trusted me. - also don't only have a out of state phone number for work...I believe (got it first so not sure) a local bank account is needed for license and physical address.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM

30 posts, read 77,891 times
Hey Mr Saturday Night,

Check out meetup.com, I signed up for an Oahu group and some others. We (me and 3 others) are moving to Oahu in August and trying to make sure we start meeting people as soon as possible.
I am not sure if there are any groups for newbies but I suspect I'll end up starting my own if there is not one. Where on Oahu will you be living? We actually picked Ewa beach - more space for your $$.
From what I ready you don't want to keep your out-of-state's license especially for Kama'Ina rates and all. You'll have a harder time getting a job with the out of state license, and also get a local #. We are changing our license the first Monday there (we come in on aSaturday) and getting a local phone for the house.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Hi,

I do plan on getting a HI drivers license soon as I can but I already have a job there so lucky i wont need to concern with applying for new jobs with an out of state license. There seems to be alot of new people moving out there soon .... we should have a newbies get-to-gether one of these days!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Nobody really cares what kind of car you drive on Oahu. "Things" just don't define the person much in the islands so it isn't necessary to get a new car. Find some old used but reliable "beach" car and then you don't have to worry about theft, high insurance rates, car payments, keeping it excessively clean and the rest of the bother of having a car. The Bus is a pretty good system and many folks don't have a car at all. You can also get around on scooters and bicycles pretty well. Live close to your job so you can walk, bus or bike to work and then if you want you can rent a car on the weekends. It can be cheaper than some car payments. I've also shared a car with friends, there were three of us who shared a car between us and that kept all the payments quite low.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM

56 posts, read 154,118 times
A newbies get together sounds cool, and i think it would be great, i have been trying to meet new people since moving here myself, and for people from this forum who move here. But have had no luck yet. Have only met one couple from here so far. Let me know if anybody is interested, i am. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,407,980 times
You can also get a Hawaii ID which is about $15.00 I think if you don't have time to go to DMV and take the written etc. Your any state valid license is good in Hawaii but at least get the ID card and local cell number. Best wishes!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 PM

Does anyone know if its possible to get around everywhere i need in Oahu with only a scooter/moped? Does alot of people ride scooters there or is it not recommended to ride in the highways?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,109 times
The driver's license is easier to get than a state id, because you don't need proof of your address. You fill out the form with your new address on it, hand them your old license, take the test and there you are!

I would suggest though, getting a state ID ASAP later to supplement your driver's license since you are new to the state and alone. Keep the state ID card separate - in a safe place - don't carry it and your driver's license together. Imagine the trouble you would have if you lost your driver's license. The state ID card would help you immensely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: