Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 20,131 times

Advertisements

hi there all
i am living in jacksonville florida and hate it.
i cant see my-self living here for long and i have tossed the idea around of moving to oahu. i have about 8000.00 in savings and would like to make a go of it.
i have waited tables for 20 years and would be looking to restaurants and resorts for work.
i would like to pay 500 to 600 for a roomate situation in a central area as i will be commuting by bike and bus.
i have lived in key west so i am not a stranger to islands and the higher cost of living.

i would like to get any info i could on my decision to move to oahu. is this a pipe dream on just 8000, is there housing in a roomate situation for around 500 to 600.
are there job's for s expierienced server and would i be able to live on servers money

any advice would be great!!! as i am motivated to do this and am looking for the good and bad sides

thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,541,776 times
Are you working for a company that will let you transfer? That is the easiest way to break into the Hawaii job market. I believe that the recent stats for June indicated Oahu was around 6.4% unemployment, which certainly sounds much better than the overall mainland rate of around 10%. However, you will be contending with the "locals first" attitude for most jobs.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM

i will not be transfering job's but i am a very motivated person when it comes to finding employment. i do expect to be interviewing for a month or 2 to be realistic. as far as locals only does that apply to resorts also or just local owned restaurants.
i do have a great resmue and experience to back it up my worry is will it be enough to pay rent and bills with a small amount for the bank?

Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,095,130 times
smitty , try the craigs list and the newspaper on line for shared rentals. if you are willing to come over with a suitcase a set of work clothes and live in a room furnished room till you get settled, you might just be able to do it. In a good ecomomy you could get a server job, now it is hard as not many people are hiring at all and many are being laid off. but some things are constant and some of the resorts always have tourist and turn over in their staff. if you can save a bit more money and go for it. if all you are paying is rent and food you should be ok till you find something. if yo don't you move back home after an extended stay

Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Get a round trip ticket and a leave of absence from your current job. Give it a several month's try to find work and a good living situation on Oahu and if it doesn't work out, hopefully, you'll still have your job on the mainland to go back to. If you pick the low tourist season there to try the switch, your employers probably wouldn't even mind if you took several months off.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
Default yep

crazy world! Im from Jacksonville Beach Florida and am moving on September 27th to Oahu. I also have 8k in the bank lol. Im going to be living with friends while Im there but I wanted to give you the heads up. My friends moved to Oahu in March without me because I had to finish college, but they are happy as can be. Out of the 3 friends there, one went with 1k, another with 3k, and lastly 7k saved up. They have a great place off of the Ala Wai canal and are liviing it up! From what they tell me they were lucky enough to score jobs right away. Hopefully we will have the same luck! I feel if they can make it anyone should be able to, its just a matter of how bad you want it. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:39 PM

32 posts, read 53,422 times
Smitty,

I moved to Oahu 10 years ago with around $3000 bucks in my pocket, also with the same work background. It is defintely doable. There are many many restaurants on Oahu. I would just get your resume ready and just hit the pavement once you get here.

You can check out Aloha Tower there are a few decent restaurants there, or Chinatown, or Waikiki, or Ala Moana Mall.
I worked at a place called Indigo in Chinatown, and also worked at Le Bistro out east in Nui Valley. Both pretty decent places.

Craigslist does have roommate ads in the $500 and over range.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:50 AM

wow
thank you guy's for the encouragement.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:10 AM

820 posts, read 3,041,413 times
Smitty, just the fact that you have saved up $8000 while waiting tables in Florida shows you have the ability to go after a goal. That trait will carry you through many circumstances that would stop someone else.

There has been lots of great advice in this thread, and I hope you give Hawaii a try. We can always use another person who has your "go for it" attitude!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:01 PM

20 posts, read 38,999 times
My boyfriend and I too are moving to Oahu with $8000 we need help finding great neighborhoods near the Honolulu Home Depot. We are transfering from the Alaska Home Depot and need to be close to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are indeed caucasian and want a clean, safe and private location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: