Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,781 times

Advertisements

hello everyone im a single female that was offer a job with the state of hawaii on oahu. at this job i will be making 47399 a year and i wanted to know if a single person can make it on this salary and if not is it easy to find a part time job to help out and do know im coming from a small town in alabama...and is working for the state of hawaii a good opportunity? any input u have will help my decision greatly thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:46 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,236,352 times
Being single and making $47K, you should be able to live just fine. Somethings like rent and food will knock your socks off, coming from AL but you won't need a winter coat or pay for heating! We lived in Biloxi for a couple years, so have a little experience of the American South. I would say people here do not "dress" like they do in the South. Women don't wear as much make up or get their hair/nails done as often (or ever). So there are some savings for you right there!
If you know how to cook, you'll save significant money vs. eating out. The beaches are free and there are plenty of places to hike or just stroll around & window shop.
If your employer is moving you, I would definately bring your car & any good furniture you have. There are furniture stores here, but the selection is pretty limited and IMO leans toward Asian/Modern styles. I prefer more traditional, so have been disappointed with the offerings.
Good luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 PM

44 posts, read 264,638 times
Hi! Congrats on your job offer, what job is the state of Hawaii offering you ?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,040,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Being single and making $47K, you should be able to live just fine. Somethings like rent and food will knock your socks off, coming from AL but you won't need a winter coat or pay for heating! We lived in Biloxi for a couple years, so have a little experience of the American South. I would say people here do not "dress" like they do in the South. Women don't wear as much make up or get their hair/nails done as often (or ever). So there are some savings for you right there!
If you know how to cook, you'll save significant money vs. eating out. The beaches are free and there are plenty of places to hike or just stroll around & window shop.
If your employer is moving you, I would definately bring your car & any good furniture you have. There are furniture stores here, but the selection is pretty limited and IMO leans toward Asian/Modern styles. I prefer more traditional, so have been disappointed with the offerings.
Good luck!
That's relative and differs by individual and expectations.

Earning $47K on Oahu is like earning $28K in Alabama; is that "living just fine"?

Not for me.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,303,635 times
I think you could do fine. Because of the fact that you would be a government employee you would have many benefits to help you live. Remember; after taxes you'll be bring home a lot less so you would have to be on a very tight budget; but it's not impossible.

You know that many government jobs will do the 3 month evaluation where you and they decide if it's working. So it is not written in stone as I have seen a few be rejected by the work place as not being the right fit. Check it out and see if this pertains to your situation. They do this because once you become a permanent government employee it is very hard to get fired (the union is strong).

What's the job?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Because of the fact that you would be a government employee you would have many benefits to help you live.
I'm not sure what you're thinking of... I'm technically a state employee. I pay *more* for my health insurance (both as a percentage of the cost and in absolute terms) than any employee of a private company in Hawaii would be allowed to pay. There is almost no life insurance... not even enough to allow my husband to move back to the mainland, since we're here for my job. The real benefits of a government job come after retirement (pension!). But for the time you're working, you generally earn less and at least in HI have worse benefits than most people working in the private sector.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,893 times
And to the OP: I would not recommend that anyone move to Hawaii to work for the state. As others have pointed out, we're in a serious budget crisis, and who knows what will be cut next. Your job would be very insecure. It's just not the time to make that kind of move.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 PM

8 posts, read 23,348 times
Working for any State is rough with low pay. I moved here last year with the federal govt and after a year I have decided Hawaii is better to visit than to live. I was prepared for the high cost, just not the cracker box places to rent. If you have job opportunities elsewhere I would look into those. Don't forget if you want to fly back to see family its still costly. Good luck in your decision...I'm looking to get back on the mainland...I miss Starbucks with drive thrus, I miss the convenience...I miss being able to park! LOL!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 19,249 times
falloutgrl -- may I ask what level federal government job did you take in HI? I always thought fed govt in Hawaii would be a good way to live there. Please advise.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,040,638 times
Read the post, she said state job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: