Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM

62 posts, read 223,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Read the post, she said state job.
Just an FYI but the question was referred to falloutgrl who stated "I moved here last year with the federal govt" not to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tori99 View Post
hello everyone im a single female that was offer a job with the state of hawaii on oahu. at this job i will be making 47399 a year and i wanted to know if a single person can make it on this salary and if not is it easy to find a part time job to help out and do know im coming from a small town in alabama...and is working for the state of hawaii a good opportunity? any input u have will help my decision greatly thanks
A young single person is about the only type I would recommend moving to Hawaii and living on $48k. As long as you don't like to eat out a lot, don't want to vacation much, and never want to buy a house out there I think you can get by OK on that. Not great, but OK. I worked for the city and lived on $35k for a couple years. It doesn't leave much for savings, going out, or shopping... but you can pay your bills and enjoy the free things that the islands offer (year round warm weather, surfing, numerous beaches, hiking trails). It is really a quality of life issue and you have to figure out what is important to you. Do you want a car? Do you like to eat out or go to bars? Do you like to shop and wear new clothes? Do you mind roaches? Do you want air conditioning? Are you someone that cares more about how a place "feels" or how financially secure and comfortable you are?

Given the budget shortfalls, I am surprised that the state is even hiring right now. I thought most departments had a freeze. I agree with UHprof that the job may not be the most secure right now and that needs to be taken into consideration.

If you do decide to go, my advice is to have an exit plan in case it doesn't work out. Just moving to Hawaii from the south will be a culture shock, but multiply that by 2 since you will also be a state worker and may experience animosity as another "mainland transplant" that came in and took a good state job during the recession. Some people move there and make great friends, love the lifestyle, and can't imagine living anywhere else. Others move there and feel isolated, out of place, overwhelmed, and trapped on a small island 2000 miles from anywhere.

My personal opinion... if you are young and unattached, are willing to live on the cheap, enjoy experiencing a new culture, and don't mind being a (moderately) disliked minority (assuming you are caucasian)... then I say go for it. At 48k you are doing better than most of the kids that move out there and work at a hotel for $10 an hour. I spent my 20's there and had a blast. It wasn't until I wanted to settle down and start a family that I couldn't get out fast enough.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutgrl View Post
I miss Starbucks with drive thrus, I miss the convenience...I miss being able to park! LOL!
There is one drive-thru Coffee Bean in Pearl City. You can live the car-dependent lifestyle on the Leeward side. I actually wish Oahu was a lot less car-dependent and more walkable and bikable with better public transportation. Gasoline is becoming a scarce commodity and won't be getting any cheaper. Cities that cater to the car at the expense of other modes of transportation are generally highly wasteful energy sucking pieces of trash.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM

41 posts, read 144,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutgrl View Post
I miss Starbucks with drive thrus, I miss the convenience...I miss being able to park! LOL!
There is a drive thru Starbucks in Kaneohe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: