Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
_V_ _V_ started this thread

19 posts, read 125,140 times

Advertisements

I'll be staying in Waikiki for 4 or 5 nights, and could use some guidance on where to stay. I will be working remotely from my room part of each day, and here is what is important to me:
  • Reasonably priced ($150/night or less)
  • Comfortable bed and pillows
  • Clean and good sized room
  • Quiet (no late night or early morning noise)
  • Not too far from the beach (I won't be "living" on the beach)
  • Not too far from restaurants
  • Not too far from shopping
Here are a few that have caught my attention:
  • Ilikai Hotel & Suites, 1777 Ala Moana Blvd (just East of Ft. De Russy), and some time share rooms available as "Waikiki Marina Resort"
  • Waikiki Parc Hotel, 2233 Helumoa Rd (near Lewers, St)
  • OHANA Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel, 2300 Kalakaua Ave (near Seaside Ave)
My impression is that the Ilikai is in a quieter section and it seems to meet a lot of my requirements, but is it too far away from the "heart" of Waikiki? I'm familiar with the troubled financial past of this property, but the rooms are huge, the price is right, and the reviews have been pretty favorable. But if you tell me to stay away I will!

Is there a "main strip" in Waikiki (Kalakaua Ave ?) that I should be near?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,359 times
I think Kalakaua Avenue is the main street in Waikiki - someone please correct me if I am wrong.

We stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - We've stayed there 2 times now. It is at one end of Kalakaua Avenue, right across from the beach and close to the Kapiolani Park and the zoo. Rooms are nice, clean and updated. We had a partial ocean view and full diamond head view.
You can walk to restaurants and shopping.
Address is :2570 Kakakaua Avenue.

Hope this helps and have a good trip!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:11 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,268,871 times
As a kid, we stayed in the Ilikai several times and loved it. It's on a quiet section of the beach and yet is still very close to the heart of everything.

As a teen, I never felt like we were too far away. The Bus is super easy to use and there's a stop right out in front of the Ilikai.

Also, across the street are places like McDonalds and stuff. Also it's very close to the Ala Moana Mall where you can get milk, groceries etc.

Alley

Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,903,639 times
I agree with Alicia64. There is nothing quiet (day or night) about the "heart of Waikiki." We usually stay at the Royal, but the last time I was in Honolulu, I stayed at the Moana Surfrider. I loved it but there was lots of street noise -- often late at night. While there, I was invited to a party down by Ft. DeRussy. We had a very pleasant walk over there and back. (10 minutes?) It's much quieter and the beaches are nice. The proximity to Ala Moana is convenient even if you're not a shopper.

Lots of options on places to stay right now. Don't hesitate to call the hotel rather than searching and booking rates online. There are plenty of deals to be had, especially for multi-day bookings. The phone sales people have more latitude than your computer might indicate.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:39 AM

960 posts, read 1,222,713 times
The Ilikai is in a good location fronting the yacht harbor and right next to the beach. It has The Hilton Hawaiian Village on one side and The Modern Hotel with Morimotos Restaurant on the other side. It is in a quieter section of Waikiki. It is a 15 minute walk to the main strip on Kalakaua. Or about a 10 minute walk the other direction to the Ala Moana Mall or Ala Moana Beach park.

You could also buy a trolley pass and ride the trolley if you prefer not to walk. There are two on-site restaurants (Cinnamons & Sorentos) plus a small store and a coffee shop. Many more restaurants and beach bars at The Modern and the Hilton next door.

Check out this website: Waikiki Beach Rentals | Waikiki's #1 Vacation Rental Website. They have nearly 200 privately owned Ilikai condos under management for rent and they are a great price point. The units are normally much more updated that the "Waikiki Marina Resort" units. The Hotel Units were all renovated recently and are beautiful but a bit more expensive.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,983,750 times
The one thing I'd add to this 6 year resurrected thread - is count on prices doubling since 2009 at Waikiki hotels.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:54 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,268,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
The Ilikai is in a good location fronting the yacht harbor and right next to the beach. It has The Hilton Hawaiian Village on one side and The Modern Hotel with Morimotos Restaurant on the other side. It is in a quieter section of Waikiki. It is a 15 minute walk to the main strip on Kalakaua. Or about a 10 minute walk the other direction to the Ala Moana Mall or Ala Moana Beach park.

You could also buy a trolley pass and ride the trolley if you prefer not to walk. There are two on-site restaurants (Cinnamons & Sorentos) plus a small store and a coffee shop. Many more restaurants and beach bars at The Modern and the Hilton next door.

Check out this website: Waikiki Beach Rentals | Waikiki's #1 Vacation Rental Website. They have nearly 200 privately owned Ilikai condos under management for rent and they are a great price point. The units are normally much more updated that the "Waikiki Marina Resort" units. The Hotel Units were all renovated recently and are beautiful but a bit more expensive.

Good luck.
nm -- just realized this is an old thread!

Last edited by Alicia64; 02-13-2016 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: