Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 14,427 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are moving to Oahu in 2 months. He will be working at Pearl Harbor and I will be working at Tripler Army Medical Center. We are looking for a place to rent in between both work places. Our ideal home would be a 2 or 3 bedrooms and would be by the beach. We hope to pay no more than $2,000 in rent.

Do you think this is duable? If so, where should we be looking?

-Excited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,835 times
someone suggested to me that you go to Vacation Rental By Owner vrbo.com and contact the owner directly and ask for a good price.

Apparently the condos aren't being rented as much as usual because of the economy and these folks might want the business.

I thought it was a good idea. If anyone thinks it's a bad idea, please say.

Alley

Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 14,427 times
Default thanks

thanks! i appreciate your comment.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,399 times
We were just over on the island this past weekend for a brief visit and looking at how much had changed since we last lived there in 2005. We sat next to a couple on the flight who said they had found their "rental" thru vrbo.com, and worked a deal with the owner while they were house hunting...so I guess it's a good idea!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
No beach between those two. More than likely you'll be in a condo, but some of those come with swimming pools and hot tubs so they aren't all bad. You could try Aiea, Redhill, Pearl City, Maunalua. The vacation rental to start with is a really good idea. There are so many variables you can't really pick a good spot until you are there to look in person.

If you don't have time to visit and check things out before moving, you can have your mail sent "General Delivery" to the post office nearest to where either one of you will work. You have to go in and pick it up in person, but after you get a long term rental, you'll be able to have it forwarded. The vacation rentals are nice since they are already furnished and have all the utilities hooked up. Electric rates are the highest in the nation (by a long shot) so having someone else pay for the electric is always a good thing.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,399 times
You may also want to consider getting a mailbox at a local UPS store. You get a REAL address, which nobody has to know it's not your residence address...your everyday mail comes to you at, for instance, xxx Kamehameha Way, #C122-266... The address & #C122 is where the UPS store is at, the 266 is YOUR box. They also sign for any deliveries, and place a notice in your box so you don't have to miss any deliveries, ever. One of the best ways to obtain a Hawaii address without ever leaving home. It varies in costs depending on box size and there's a one time set up fee, which usually runs $15. You can pay 3 months at a time, or 6 or 12, depending on your choice, and you can renew without additional fees...just the box fee. We have a small size box here on the mainland, and it costs us $65 for 3 months. When we were over to the island this past weekend prepping for our move back, we stopped in the Pearl City store and got the paperwork, gave them a copy of our drivers license and they took down the last 4 digits of our credit card so we can call back prior to our move over, give them the credit card, and they can "officially" give us a box. Then we'll just drop an address change in the mail to have everything forwarded, and we'll be all set. If you don't plan to go over prior to moving, you can call them and ask that they send you a fax of the form you need to complete, which they'll be happy to do. We've never encountered any UPS store that wasn't willing to work with us when moving. It also made it easier by being able to send some of our household goods over to our new location ahead of time. Upon our first move there to Hawaii, we lived in Aiea, and we just advised them that they should expect about a dozen boxes prior to our arrival just so that they made room to keep them. It worked out great.

Hope this helps you!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:33 AM

35 posts, read 69,124 times
We live in Aiea. My guess is that we are about half way between Pearl Harbor and Tripler. Our condo has units for rent. Available condos are listed on the bulletin board in the lobby. You should be able to rent for $2000 or less. Each apt has a small lanai (balcony) We are not on the beach. However, we do have a pool, hot tub, two tennis courts, BBQ pits, picnic tables and a view of Pearl Harbor. Our complex is made up of 3 buildings that sit on approx 6 acres of land. We have private parking (a big deal here) for each unit in a parking structure. The vacancies seem to be in the hands of different realtors. I believe several photos are on the web of our complex. It is called the Park at Pearlridge. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiea Nana View Post
We live in Aiea. My guess is that we are about half way between Pearl Harbor and Tripler. Our condo has units for rent. Available condos are listed on the bulletin board in the lobby. You should be able to rent for $2000 or less. Each apt has a small lanai (balcony) We are not on the beach. However, we do have a pool, hot tub, two tennis courts, BBQ pits, picnic tables and a view of Pearl Harbor. Our complex is made up of 3 buildings that sit on approx 6 acres of land. We have private parking (a big deal here) for each unit in a parking structure. The vacancies seem to be in the hands of different realtors. I believe several photos are on the web of our complex. It is called the Park at Pearlridge. Good luck.
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Have not checked this site for a long time.
The bottom line cost for us was around $1400. But I have to mention we only shipped 16 small boxes and one ladies desk (old family item). Everything else was donated or given to our adult kids. Our stuff was stored while we were overseas with the Peace Corps and then shipped here to Oahu. I imagine the cost goes up quite a bit if you have more items.
The shipment was delivered downtown and un paletized at the dock for us. We rented a Home Depot truck ($19) and hauled the stuff home ourselves.
Once again, sorry for the forever delay in getting back to you.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellOutAloha View Post
Nothing is both cheap, and near to places. You need to drive a long way to get fairly priced housing, and good return for the costs. That means patience on roads that are congested and filled with cars or buses just to travel a few miles. The island is overcrowded, and until it is fully saturated and people no longer come, will
anyone here address the issue objectively. Island living is the same worldwide. Goods are shipped and cost more. Demands are great and things sell fast and/or vanish soon. If any weather or major impact happens, departures will be air and everyone trying to leave the same way. Good luck. Long term residents only tolerate you for your economic input and still dislike having you here. Stay delusional and believe the hype. Meanwhile, bring lots of money for a LOT less. "Paradise" ? hahahahaha
You have a very valid point. However, if someone is transferred here with the military they do not have a choice but to go with the flow and do the best they can. The positive side is that although they come here they also leave and while they are here they are putting the much needed dollars into our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: