Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,566 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am so uneducated in the state of Hawaii, and also very scared of moving so far from home with our children. My husband has been offered a position in Honolulu and I guess that is on the island of "Oahu" from reading some things on the internet. I have moved before, here in the states, and I know that when moving you can find good locations and bad locations in every city. I am hoping and praying to find some insight and help in weither this would be a good thing for our family or not. I know that everywhere says the cost of living is much higher. (Groceries, housing, etc..) My family is not above down sizing if need be, but I need to know where to look as my oldest daughter is in school. I want her to be safe and get a good education. Myself, I grew up in the inner city of St. Louis, Missouri and the schools were not the best. We as parents have worked hard to make sure our children have better than we did. The jobs are few and this may be what is best for our family. I have looked in to the ratings of the local public schools, but that doesn't tell a person that much about the location. How would I find out the zip code area name? For example Liholiho Elementary was in the zip code of 96816, but does anyone know if there is a way to find specific housing in that school area because there were many other schools in the same zip code? Will anyone offer me a location that has a good school district, but DEFINITELY no more than $2000 per month or we will be eating very little and living with no utilities. This is the amount that I am going to tell my husband to base what his income should be. If they can't do that for him then we should keep looking. We would love cheaper, but know that it might be hard to find at least a three bedroom for much cheaper. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Family of five

Last edited by MrsADaniel; 09-30-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,948,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsADaniel View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am so uneducated in the state of Hawaii, and also very scared of moving so far from home with our children. My husband has been offered a position in Honolulu and I guess that is on the island of "Oahu" from reading some things on the internet. I have moved before, here in the states, and I know that when moving you can find good locations and bad locations in every city. I am hoping and praying to find some insight and help in weither this would be a good thing for our family or not.
There have been literally hundreds of posts here in the last year asking this same question. You will get some answers here, but you will get much more information if you will learn to use the "search" feature above.

Use "advanced", and select Hawaii as the forum. Then do some searches using terms like:
Oahu schools
public schools
private schools
etc.

You can learn about neighborhoods and zip codes, by learning to use Google Maps, here:

Google Maps

Put in Oahu, and when you get there, put in a zip code. Zoom in and out to look at neighborhoods, or put their names in after the Oahu search.

Hank

Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,948,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsADaniel View Post
I have looked in to the ratings of the local public schools, but that doesn't tell a person that much about the location. How would I find out the zip code area name? For example Liholiho Elementary was in the zip code of 96816, but does anyone know if there is a way to find specific housing in that school area because there were many other schools in the same zip code?
Here is a google map that I got by putting the zip code 96816 in as a map search, and then putting

school

in the search box:

school - Google Maps

As you can see, the area is Kaimuki, on of the oldest residential suburbs around Honolulu.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,566 times
Thank you for the information. I will continue my search with this. Again, thank you!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,093,487 times
I doubt you'd be able to move from the midwest to Honolulu and manage to find a good living location over the internet. Send someone over for a visit first or send someone over several weeks in advance to check everything out. A short term rental might be a way to get moved over and check things out without having to decide on a specific long term place to be.

Ah, generally one doesn't use the term "in the states" to refer to the mainland as opposed to Hawaii. Hawaii IS a state even though a lot of folks seem to forget it all the time. Just ask a mainland business to mail something to Hawaii and they act like we are on another planet. It can be a bit annoying at times.

If you want your children to have a good education, then take the matter into your own hands and teach them what you want them to know. Read books to them, have them read to you, have them write essays, whatever you think they need to know. Relying on a school to teach them what they need to know isn't going to give your child that good of an education. Have them help you balance the checkbook, set up a small bank account for them, teach them about interest rates and doing taxes. Have them make out a menu and learn how to cook, clean and everything else they need to know to live a full and competent life. School will not teach them those things, it's up to you.

The houses will be much smaller than you are used to, the streets will be winding and with names you will have a hard time pronouncing at the beginning. There will be all sorts of people with all sorts of new and interesting customs. You won't see any billboards. Nor will you see snow. But the folks are good folks and ask your neighbors for advice.

Most of the island of Oahu is covered by the city of Honolulu. The Bus is a pretty good public transport system and you'll probably only need one car so that will be a savings there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: