Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,839 times

Advertisements

Aloha all.
My Son and I are moving to Oahu next summer and would appreciate suggestions from kamaaina on how we can adjust from life stateside. We have a lot to learn, and we’ve started reading Hawaiian newspapers and visiting online forums about the island.
I work frome home and we plan to build a house but will rent for at least a year until its done.
We are white ( haole ) and grew up in Idaho ( GO BRONCOS ) which is a friendly, culturally diverse, easy-going place, so I think Hawaii will feel like home in many ways. My Son is a shy unless he is playing ice hockey ,and we found a ice rink on the island so that is nice. We are both easy-going. School is a big issue for me and want so much for my son to have an easy transition.
We would appreciate everything from practical tips on neighborhoods to general insight on life in Hawaii. We’re so looking forward to being a part of the community. Thank you for taking the time to share advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Ah, well, not to jump right in and criticize or anything already, but Hawaii IS a state, so when you are here you are already "stateside". We generally refer to that large landmass over there (of which Idaho is a part of) as "the mainland".

Will you be building a house or buying one already made? There aren't that many places to build a house on Oahu, unless you take one down first. Oahu is pretty full already. I suppose there are those big developer people who are building where the sugar cane used to be, but those folks have no imagination and build the same house over and over again. Ick. Maybe you will be able to find a vacant lot somewhere.

Does your son like to swim? There's lots of surfing and beaching where he could meet other kids. If you don't have to commute to town for a job, then perhaps you could live outside of Honolulu. Kailua or Kaneohe are nice. They have almost a neighborhood feel to them, too. Once you get into the density of urban life, it can be hard to find community.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,839 times
Default thanks

Thank you for the info.
Yes he loves to swim and i think he will love the beach. I will be building a house so yes i will have to find a lot some place. Found one that i thought was nice in Waimanalo but having a hard time getting info on the area.
I was told that white kids moving there may have a hard time, not sure what that is all about but thats okay he is a nice kid and always smiles so he should make friends without a problem.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:27 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,196,346 times
search the threads here for more info! ahola and Good luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:54 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Don't buy a lot until you've lived in the neighborhood for at least several months. Waimanalo probably isn't exactly the place you'd want to start out living in when you are fresh from the mainland. It is a lovely place, but it may not be suitable for you and you won't really know until you've lived there awhile. They probably don't take "kill haole day" all that seriously at school there anymore, but I haven't lived there for several decades and can't tell you how things are now. They did used to be fairly (in)famous for it, BUT again this was several decades ago.

The town next to Waimanalo, Kailua, might be a good choice to start in. There should be a rental opportunity there, your kid will probably fit into the school system better there and the beaches are just as lovely. Once you've moved over and settled in, then you can start looking around for a lot to build on. You will be able to drive over and meet the folks who would be your neighbors on the new lot as well as check out the school and everything else.

It is impossible to pick the best house or lot without living in the area. You can pick out "a" house or spot which might turn out okay, but you won't be able to pick out the very best spot without being there in person and long enough to get a real feel for the place. You should go to the area you are considering buying at night, early morning, noon and evening, just to see how things are at that time. During the weekdays as well as during the weekends. If after all that, and you've met the neighbors, then go ahead. You will be much happier after all that and have a lot less difficulties living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu