Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM

24 posts, read 80,450 times

Advertisements

First off I'd like to thank the members of this board since it was their wisdom and guidance that I've been able to make an easier transition than if I'd not had the info found here.

Did the first three weeks at a VRBO, been in an apartment now for a week. Two bed two bath one parking wasger and dryer in unit secured building south west view of the ocean. $1345 a month, it is close to the freeway so a bit noisy at times but the sound is real easy to get used o. At times I find myself hearing nothing at all then I catch myself and the sound comes back. Other residents some who've been in the same building for 20+ years say that they dont even hear it at all anymore. It's located on the edge of Makiki by the Academy of Arts just off Ward Ave right before you go over the H 1.

Getting my car here was easy, getting a Hawaii drivers license was a snap. My wife also had no difficulty and she isn't a native English speaker. She is native Japanese and of course feels like home here. We have a daughter and plan on enrolling her at the Elem schol close by, Queen Ka Ahumana (I apoligize if I didn't spell it correctly).

Brings me to one of my first observations. Locals really want you to know how to pronounce their street names and names of places correctly. The will go out of their way to help yu phonetically pronounce it. Also they want to pronounce your name correctly which I think is very polite.

Driving: SLOW SLOW SLOW but hey it's an island why are you in a hurry? Also very very courteious, always get waved in ne ver get cut off and rarely hear a horn honk. The driving quality is somewhat left to be desired but the politeness makes up for that. I love drving here, I bought a small scooter and putter around town. When it rains I take the bus which is excellent efficent clean and seems to be always there.

We didn't bring any furniture or nhousehold goods so we bought that all here. Yes it's more expensive than CA but with Walmart Target and Costco you can sometimes find mainland prices or close to. Food however is somewhat of a shock. But we found that food doesn't keep as long as in CA so we buy less and use coupons get the paper look for deals and go to local markets.

The people we've encountered with have all been great. Were very happy we made the move, I just wish we did it sooner when we had more money. But oh well at least were here now.

The job market is not as bleak as one would beleive. I haven't actively looked only passive. But I do see a lot of job openings in all types of sectors. You will not makes as much in the mainland that's forsure and you might have to work more than one job but at the end of the day your in Hawaii.

I'm going to start an active job search next week. This week the World Series is still on and I have to get my daughters bedroom in order. And beng on island time means it could take a week. But I like it that way.

So far living in Hawaii has been everything that I expected and unexpected with a whole boat load more to figure out. Hopefully after a few years under my belt I'll be able to fit in more. Because you do feel like an outsider even living here especially if your skin is white and not born here. But the spirit of Aloha is alive and well and the people are trully honest, open friendly and geniune. I'm very happy to be here and thank everybody again who posts here and answers questions and gives their insight, positive or negative it's all knowledge and all knowledge is good. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 PM

292 posts, read 951,248 times
Wonderful post. Mahalo.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 PM

263 posts, read 869,679 times
Thanks for sharing your experiences and observations.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM

682 posts, read 2,800,374 times
Welcome to the neighborhood! If you have a friendly dog, come by Thomas Square any day around 5:30pm. Big doggy playdate meetup.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 PM

2,275 posts, read 4,144,831 times
I am happy to hear that you are pleased to be here! I used to live across the freeway in one of the two towers (right by the ramp) with the guard and enjoyed the area immensely (this was when they complex was brand new back in the early eighties and my hubby says that the complex still looks beautiful and well kept.

What type of job are you going to be looking for (I am afraid that I do not remember if we even discussed it on the other thread).

Aloha a hui hou

Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,953,291 times
Great post! Welcome!

You picked a great area. If you like music, you can walk over to the Blaisdell on the nights the Symphony is playing, and listen to the free "mini-concerts" they have on the front lanai before the main event.

Hank

Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,869 times
Nice post.

To clarify things, yes, Oahu's job situation is better than the other islands. The Big Island (Hawaii) is very bleak right now. One newspaper is listing 20 jobs and the other one has about 40 and the main temp agency is listing about 10 jobs. Many of those jobs are part-time, 19 hours per week or less. This is for an island of 150k people.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 AM

Looking for work with a construction company. Prefer estimating/sale's which I have 17+ years experience with or administration 3+ years. I know QuickBooks, MS Word & Excel and have done payroll, union reports and certified payroll.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Nice post.

To clarify things, yes, Oahu's job situation is better than the other islands. The Big Island (Hawaii) is very bleak right now. One newspaper is listing 20 jobs and the other one has about 40 and the main temp agency is listing about 10 jobs. Many of those jobs are part-time, 19 hours per week or less. This is for an island of 150k people.
Your right about the Big Island from what I gather here on Oahu. I met a carpenter with 20+ years experience that said he hasn't worked for over a year so he moved to Oahu to find work. And two plumbers a day later that said basicaly the same thing. Only 150K people on the big isle? Wow, that has to be great as far as traffic. The traffic on Oahu is pretty heavy, even at night in some spots.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:47 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,404,268 times
John 719 -- what a beautiful post. It's a nice change from the ones who get there and then demand that Hawaii be "just like home." (Which always puzzles me. If "home" was so great, why did they leave?)

All the best in your search and your transition. Hawaii grows on you. And it is one of the most resilient places I've ever lived. Probably because of the tight family connections, and the fact that just about everyone is related somehow. Hawaii will bounce back. It just takes time. And you will run into some jerks here and there. But some of them are that way because the economy has them running scared. People act badly when fear is running their lives. So just take a step back from them and don't engage and you'll be fine.

A hui hou! (Till we meet again... or actual meaning: When we meet again, all will be good and pono)
Malama Pono... (Take care of yourself)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu