Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 7,246 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Oahu this summer and starting teaching (through Teach for America) next fall. I'm currently filling out a form that designates what school districts I'd prefer.

I'd really like to live and teach in Honolulu, but am concerned that I may not be able to get by on a ~40k salary so about $3333 before taxes.

I'm used to living on a college student budget and will likely live with 2-3 roommates, but I just don't know if my salary would cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpash123 View Post
I will be moving to Oahu this summer and starting teaching (through Teach for America) next fall. I'm currently filling out a form that designates what school districts I'd prefer.

I'd really like to live and teach in Honolulu, but am concerned that I may not be able to get by on a ~40k salary so about $3333 before taxes.

I'm used to living on a college student budget and will likely live with 2-3 roommates, but I just don't know if my salary would cut it.
The entire state is one school district. You will have to list what Hawaii calls "school complexes". A complex is a series of elementary and middle schools that feed into (generally) one high school.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 PM
zoa

60 posts, read 491,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The entire state is one school district. You will have to list what Hawaii calls "school complexes". A complex is a series of elementary and middle schools that feed into (generally) one high school.

erm.. yes and no.

Hawaii has one BOE (Board of Education) and on the national lists is a single school district.

However, and particularly on Oahu, there are "districts" (officially called Complex Areas - but the people call them districts) as dictated by where one lives. I can live on one side of the street and my kids go to Wahiawa Elementary, but the people across the street send their kids to Ka'ala Elementary... for they are in the "other elementary district." Sometimes people apply for "district exemptions" for they want their child(ren) to go to a 'better" school.... or at the high school level, students can get district exemptions to go to other high schools outside of their living district. A lot of Mililani residents do that for their children who take JROTC at Leilehua.

The complexes that make up the Hawaii School District can be located here:
Complex Areas

There are two Honolulu districts:

Farrington, Kaiser & Kalani

Farrignton is a "tough school" that has some issues with gangs (Samoan Brotherhood and some Pinoy gangs). Similar to inner-city urban schools. There is a lot of changes happening though at this school (I work about 1 block from it) and it is reflecting on the area & community. I think this has a lot to do with the New Hope church using Farrington for services.

Kaiser services south-eastern Oahu, namely Hawaii-Kai. Lots of upper-middle-class families, and lots of spoiled rich kids. A lot of haole (malihini) families over this way. Be on the lookout for skater gangs and those emo-kids that like to sneak in weed and booze to class.

Kalani services the Diamond-Head area and parts of Waikiki... with LOTS of affluent families but interspersed with low-income families as well. From Kahala to the dredges behind Waikiki.. a real mixed plate complex.

Kaimuki, McKinley & Roosevelt

Kaimuki is known for upper-middle-class population, and the children reflect this. They like to shop, skate, and go to the movies a lot. Many of them have their own cars by their 16th birthday.

McKinley is known for its computer smart kids and robotics team in high school. The income for the families are a mixed bag of lower to upper-middle classes with the interspersed rich family from time to time. A lot of over-achievers driven by perfectionist parents.

Roosevelt has some military influence, mostly from Navy or Marine families stationed at Pearl Harbor who live outside of the Pearl City area. The local flavor is there in a strong way, and the parents of the mostly middle-class neighborhoods pay keen attention to their kids.

Overall, Honolulu-centric complexes ar4e mixed bags of income, but most all of them are hustle-and-bustle schools... meaning they teach and teach with the goal of higher learning. Most of the kids who go to these schools go to the mainland for college... even Farrignton. These are called "townie" schools.

Now, a serious misconception is that Honolulu is exclusive. However, you have the entire island of Oahu to choose from - and all within driving distance. I have a personal friend who lives in Aiea, but teaches middle school math at Waialua HS on the north shore.

Other Oahu Complexes:

Aiea-Moanalua-Radford Considered Central
A lot of military kids, but lots of local as well. There will be some interesting segregation by the student populations as the local kids soon learn the military do not stay.... is a sad but honest reaction by the local students. Mostly middle to upper-middle class incomes.

Leilehua-Mililani-Waialua Considered Central
More military kids, and a whole lot of local kids. About the same thing with segregation, particularly at Leilehua & Mililani. Waialua not so much as it is more local and very country on the North Shore. Income ranges from lower to upper middle class with a spotting of affluent from time to time in the Mililani area. I went to Leilehua

Campbell-Kapolei
Campbell was once one of the "worst" school complexes to go to. However, that has changed drastically once Barber's Point demilitarized. The student body there is now proud, and have a healthy rivalry with Kapolei... Oahu's "second city". As this area of the island is under constant and accelerating development, there is a lot of mix here... from middle-class to affluent and the sporadic lower income levels.

Pearl City-Waipahu
Even now, people seek district exemptions from Waipahu to Pearl City... I don't know why. Waipahu is heavily ethnic and a very proud Filipino community with incomes ranging from lower-middle to upper-middle class. There is an influx of gang activity recently (not as bad as it was in the 80's though).

Nanakuli-Waianae
Now I know people will say the far western shores of Oahu are NOT for the timid or mainland haole people.... but honestly.... it is beautiful country living out there, and the community is HIGHLY supportive of the schools and teachers. Teachers are MOST respected out here, but will be challenged by the kids constantly. Be firm, stick to your guns, and DON'T let the bad eggs sour your motivation. A very tough, but very tight community once you are accepted. IMHO, this is where teachers who LOVE to teach really thrive.

Castle-Kahuku
Middle class is strong here and VERY country the closer you get to Kahuku. Includes a lot of Mormons (BYU is here) and lots of country and "green" mentality.

Kailua-Kalaheo
You lower to middle class incomes here, but this is the affluent district of the Windward coast. You will have some kids from the Marine base.. and lots of malihini kids as well. Parents do pay attention to their kids... especially when it comes to money.

And that about wraps it up for Oahu. Remember, you can drive around the entire island in less than 8 hours... so all of the complexes are do-able. I think a lot of people do not realize just how.... condensed and small we really are here as compared to the mainland.

Last edited by zoa; 12-01-2009 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-01-2009, 04:14 PM
zoa

60 posts, read 491,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpash123 View Post

Insofar as income...

I'd recommend more into the central complexes as your income would help you with adequate housing and such. I know some teachers and maybe we can help you find something a bit better than "college budget".

What grade will you be teaching?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu