Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 06:52 PM

42 posts, read 131,219 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Oahu within the next few months, not really sure exactly when. He was offered a government job at MCB which I believe is in Kaneohe. We are moving from Connecticut and was hoping we could get advice or information about the area and maybe some tips on location, jobs etc. I have been looking online for places to live and we would like to try to stay as close as possible to his place of work. I am a little bit nervous about signing a lease for a place if we havent seen it yet and what you see on the internet may not be exaclty what you are going to get. I am having a little bit of trouble getting help with information on prices from people they want us to be there to show us the property. That would be great but since we live on the East Coast its not really something we can do or even afford to do. So I was thinking maybe we can find a hotel that offers long term hotel stays with decent rooms and possibly kitchenette but not really having luck with that. Does anyone know of any places like this?

We are only going to take our clothes and were thinking about shipping over either my car or his truck, not sure which is better. I have a honda civic and its paid-off and he has a 2006 GMC 2500HD truck and its diesel and its huge and its not paid-off. Not sure which vehicle would be better for the islands with gas, parking etc. I read on another forum that there is break-ins alot on that side of the island and would rather have something happen to the car then his truck. Anyways I dont want to assume that this would happen, it can happen anywhere. But any information about moving there, culture, places to live etc would be great.

We have lived in AZ and in San Diego so we adapt pretty well to new places so hopefully it wont be a problem in Oahu. We have never been there so any information would be greatly appreciated. He is really excited about the move and I am a little bit nervous since we have ever been there and the its not the best time to move with the economy so hopefully I can find a job soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 08:16 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,528,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenie24 View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to Oahu within the next few months, not really sure exactly when. He was offered a government job at MCB which I believe is in Kaneohe. We are moving from Connecticut and was hoping we could get advice or information about the area and maybe some tips on location, jobs etc. I have been looking online for places to live and we would like to try to stay as close as possible to his place of work. I am a little bit nervous about signing a lease for a place if we havent seen it yet and what you see on the internet may not be exaclty what you are going to get. I am having a little bit of trouble getting help with information on prices from people they want us to be there to show us the property. That would be great but since we live on the East Coast its not really something we can do or even afford to do. So I was thinking maybe we can find a hotel that offers long term hotel stays with decent rooms and possibly kitchenette but not really having luck with that. Does anyone know of any places like this?

We are only going to take our clothes and were thinking about shipping over either my car or his truck, not sure which is better. I have a honda civic and its paid-off and he has a 2006 GMC 2500HD truck and its diesel and its huge and its not paid-off. Not sure which vehicle would be better for the islands with gas, parking etc. I read on another forum that there is break-ins alot on that side of the island and would rather have something happen to the car then his truck. Anyways I dont want to assume that this would happen, it can happen anywhere. But any information about moving there, culture, places to live etc would be great.

We have lived in AZ and in San Diego so we adapt pretty well to new places so hopefully it wont be a problem in Oahu. We have never been there so any information would be greatly appreciated. He is really excited about the move and I am a little bit nervous since we have ever been there and the its not the best time to move with the economy so hopefully I can find a job soon.
Rent a vacation rental for 2 weeks or more. Go thru a reputable site like vrbo.com Asking prices are just that - ASKING prices. Phone the owner and go from there because in this economy, anything goes.

I would sell both vehicles and simply buy something here because shipping from Connecticut wouldn't be worth the costs.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
If you are gonna ship a vehicle, go for the Civic. There aren't a lot of parking places for large vehicles in Hawaii. A lot of the parking garages are too short for trucks to fit into, also.

Finding a short term vacation rental is a great idea. For living near KMCAS (Kaneohe Marine Corp Air Station - which is what I've always called it, maybe it has a new name now) anyway, try the town of Kailua. It is a lovely town with great beaches. KMCAS is between the town of Kaneohe and Kailua so either town would do, although, I personally prefer Kailua. Mostly because of better beaches.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:57 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,040,638 times
What year is the Civic? I would consider the value of it versus the cost of replacing it here and of course figuring the cost of shipping into the equation.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:48 AM

42 posts, read 131,219 times
Thank you all so much for the info, it will def help us with the move and help us decide what will be our best option. We will actually being driving either vehicle to San Diego and then shipping from there. The civic is a 2000 so I think that would be our best option since it would be cheaper on gas and cheaper to fix. We dont plan on living in Hawaii long term maybe a year or two and then heading back to the mainland so we want to keep both cars. I will check out that website for the vacation rentals and call around for prices, hopefully I can find something decent until we get a more permanent place. If I were to get a job in Honolulu, how would the commute be for me. I have heard its not that bad since I would be taking the H3 there, is this true. I am sure I will deal with traffic which is fine but I am not sure if there is even any jobs in Kailua or Kaneohe.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 PM

With the cost of shipping just the Civic, from your current location (Connecticut), at anywhere from $1500 to $2000+, SELL IT and buy something when you get here since you mention you will be moving back after 1-2 years.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 PM

432 posts, read 1,204,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
With the cost of shipping just the Civic, from your current location (Connecticut)....
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenie24 View Post
...We will actually being driving either vehicle to San Diego and then shipping from there.
Absolutely bring the Civic. It would be silly not to, imo.

Sell it in Hawai`i before you move back.

A much better plan. Good luck!

(And wise decision to ship from San Diego. Not only is it an easier winter route, usually, it is also - despite what might seem "obvious" -- shorter than driving to Oakland)

Old 12-28-2009, 11:28 PM

Black Book values show no difference between Connecticut and Hawaii (Oahu) for a 2000 Honda Civic. Black Book is based upon actual selling prices, unlike Kelly Blue Book, which is based upon fictitious asking prices) You would be losing the entire cost of shipping and the loss of time involved in doing so. Rent a car for a week when you get to Oahu and buy something used, for cash. You will come out way ahead.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:44 PM

432 posts, read 1,204,600 times
Edmunds.com (much more reliable) shows a that a Honolulu 2000 Civic will fetch $500-$1000 more than a Connecticut one (probably in large part because the road salt there is a much worse problem than the alleged salt sprays in Hawai`i. Folks who've actually lived in Hawai`i for awhile know that that's not really much a problem)

The peace of mind from having a car that you know well is worth any purely theoretical (let's admit for the sake of argument, even though contrary to fact) monetary gain.

If you were shipping from Connecticut then the equation might tip, but you're not.

Bring the car. You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Mogon, if you carefully read the OP's post, you would have noticed that they are indeed shipping from Connecticut. They will be driving it to the West coast to ship it which adds quite a bit of extra costs such as fuel, hotel, food...

BTW, Edmonds.com is not more reliable than Black Book. Any auto sales data that you can get for free on a web site isn't really that accurate. Dealers PAY for Black Book info to be accurate. Did you know that used car values can change greatly from one week to the next? Edmonds.com doesn't publish that info. One should always compare actual wholesale values based upon real sales data, not inflated retail pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu