Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,403 times

Advertisements

We fell in love with Hawaii 25 years ago and decided that we would save like crazy, in the hope that we could retire there someday. In the meantime, we have made it back to Hawaii about a dozen times and always leave heavy hearted.

We are considering purchasing a small (740 sq ft) 2 bedroom highrise condo in the Kakaako area of Honolulu. Three of us will live there, including our almost adult son who will attend the University of Hawaii. We also have 1 miniature poodle and a cockatiel.

I would like to hear about anyone's experiences living in a highrise in Honolulu. What is it like to live there as a family in a small space? Is this space too small for three? Are there any pitfalls to highrise living?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 AM

138 posts, read 355,366 times
Living in small spaces. We went from a 3,500 sf two story home, to a 1200 sf 2 bedroom apt, to a 900 sf 2 bedroom apt (next to the beach ) in California. Each time my wife at the time said she'd couldn't live this way, that it was only temporary, and then about a year afterwords it wasn't even noticed. A lot of "can I live in a place of xxxx sf ) has to do with what your moving from. If your coming from a 5500 sf macmansion that apartment is going to feel REALLY small.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Location: By body is in JaxBeach, FL but my mind is in Hawaii
37 posts, read 208,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
Living in small spaces. We went from a 3,500 sf two story home, to a 1200 sf 2 bedroom apt, to a 900 sf 2 bedroom apt (next to the beach ) in California. Each time my wife at the time said she'd couldn't live this way, that it was only temporary, and then about a year afterwords it wasn't even noticed. A lot of "can I live in a place of xxxx sf ) has to do with what your moving from. If your coming from a 5500 sf macmansion that apartment is going to feel REALLY small.

Agreed... we went from 3000 sf 3.5 car garage to <1200 sf and 1 car detached (too small to actually put a car in). Family of four - now five with Mother-in-law. We had to sell all of our furniture because none would fit - and after 7 years, still have boxes to move around.. but like the poster above said, we are close to the beach.. and wouldn't trade it - well except for when we make that move to HI. It takes an adjustment and you have to figure what you are going to give up... to get what you want (i.e. living by the beach, living in Hawaii, etc...) Also, the personality of the people.. do they need to 'get away'.. if so, where are they going to get away to?? or are they pretty flexible and adaptable? How long will you have to live like that? You have one son soon to be in college.. whom I'm assume will be gone in 4 years??? That time will pass before you know it.

Enjoy your move...

Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
Square footage is all relative. I used to live on a boat, I moved into a 650 square foot house that was absolutely HUGE! It also never tried to sink which was a plus.

Square footage in Hawaii is also different than square footage on the mainland. You will find yourself outside a lot, walking to the beach, walking to the shops, going out and about. Kakaako is centrally located and the bus system is real good so you don't even need a car.

A small house is also much easier to clean and doesn't require a lot of "stuff" to furnish it so it will be a nice and easy place to live.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Exactly. Less cleaning equals more time having fun. We have 1700 square feet in Michigan, where we are inside for about four months. That is considered a small house. We bought it 23 years ago. My square footage is cut up into small rooms about the same size as the condo rooms--we just have more of them. We're not collectors of stuff. Less is more. I am trading drywall for lifestyle. I'm a little worried about our currently 15 year old son and all his junk (Legos, Xbox, etc). His current bedroom is the same size as the condo but the condo has one wall that is all windows. I guess I want to avoid the jammed full of junk look. I'm looking at the layout and wondering where I put the suitcases, the vacuum cleaner, the printer,etc. I want it to be shipshape. If everything is in its place, then a small space works nicely.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM

How important is it, electricity wise, to be on the cool side of the building (looking at the mountains) which is north easterly versus looking at the ocean in the distance but also looking into the afternoon sun (south westerly)? I think we would have the blinds drawn to keep the sun and heat out, so we'd lose the view in the afternoon and evening. One whole side of the condo is windows.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 PM

96 posts, read 270,518 times
i lived in a high-rise facing ala wai canal and the city and away from waikiki beach and being high up there was always a good breeze and no ac necessary.
great view of rainbows over manoa valley every day but a scary swaying experience with an earthquake a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: