Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 AM

42 posts, read 131,129 times

Advertisements

So I have posted a few threads on here in regards to moving and have received some great feedback. As of lately I am second guessing our move to Hawaii and wanted to get some more feedback on if it is really worth moving so here's our deal. My husband was offered a government job at the Marine Corps Base in Kaneohe and he is a licensed plumber, he will be making $26 and some change. We will be soley relying on his income until I can secure a job. He is supposed to start work March 15th so we dont have much time. I know its last minute now to think about the move but taxes just came up which sets us back a little which we were not expecting and plus the fact that we cant secure a place to live live thats in our budget is freaking me out. We still havent found a definite place to live but I might have found something in Kailua a studio for $1200 including all utilities. I don't know if we should take the chance and move there and stay in hotels or rentals until we can find a place or just dont bother going. Right now he is collecting unemployment which covers our bills and does sidework and I still haven't been able to find a job, we are living in Connecticut. We would be moving to Hawaii with a good amount of cc debt, car loans etc. If I was able to get a job in a decent amount of time then it would be better but if I cant then it will be hard. Then you also have to figure in taxes from your income, food etc.

So the question is for everyone who lives there or has moved there, is it really worth moving to Oahu for a government job and taking a chance of me finding a job and being able to survive there? My husband thinks that this job is worth it since it is government but in reality financially not sure if it is worth it. I am going back and forth on what to do and feel like if we dont take this opportunity then he might not get another chance for a government job but then again if we go it could be the worst decision we ever made. Anyways any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
I don't know how old you guys are but consider this. it won't be your last move in your life. a move to anywhere could never be the "worst' decision of your life. moving somewhere and getting resettled is just a pain, not something, that even if you don't like where you live is something that you should make ito a huge deal. it sounds like life where you are is not great as far as finances, here your hubby will at least have a job. it will be in a new place with new things to discover. a place most people would love to visit. there really isn't much you can do about the CC debt other than to stop buying as much as possible. I would start selling everything you don't love or can't store. right down to the cars. one of you should come a few weeks early and rent a fully furnished vacation rental for a few months so you can take your time finding a place to live. don't sweat it, look on it like an adventure, it may be the best move you ever make. if not you will find a way to move somewhere else.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:24 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,304 times
I don't remember what the probationary timeframe is with a civil service job. Meaning how long he would have to work the job before he was eligible to transfer with hiring preference to another location if desired or required. If it was a year or less I would think this is a good way for him to break into a governement job.

Have you looked into getting a job at the base exchange or commissary at the Marine base?

Here is a link to Marine Corps Community Service job openings on base (these aren't the same classification as the type job your husband has accepted):
Welcome to MCCS Hawaii (http://www.mccshawaii.com/jobs_listings.asp - broken link)

Here is a link to job openings at the Commissary (Grocery Store) on base:
USAJOBS - Search Jobs

If you guys don't have kids I would go for it without a second thought.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:56 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenie24 View Post
he will be making $26 and some change.
Are you sure that is all?

Civil Service jobs in Hawaii usually provide a cost of living allowance (COLA) on top of the stated pay.

Have you checked?

Hank

Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Hank yes that is all he will be getting paid. It said between $26-30 an hour but his offer letter stated $26 which I thought was pretty low too for someone who has been a licensed plumber for about 12yrs or more. When he applied for the job they stated that this job doesnt pay for moving costs or the COLA. But Hank I will check into that and see what they say about that, it would def help.

I guess I am just having a hard time figuring out what our best option would be. Financially to move there and be able to pay for first months rent/deposit, food, rentals or hotels, etc we dont really have that much money to play around with that is why I am a nervous about the move. He is collectng and doing side jobs which has been helping and we live rent free right now so that is a huge help. Then again, he is getting into the government and its a foot in the door and those dont come around that often either. I will def check out those websites you provided and I have also thought about the transfer. I am pretty sure you need to be there for a year before you can transfer, I think that is what the probationary period is. My brothers both work at the subase here in CT and I am pretty sure it was a year. If it was only for 6 months then yes I would just suck it up and go but even after your probationary period then you have to wait for a position to come up to apply and then wait for the process of transferring which who knows how long this could take. We dont plan on living in HI for long since we want to start a family soon and be around our family in CT. Ugh decisions decisions! Well I appreciate all of your positive input and information!!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM

67 posts, read 257,912 times
A government job offers a lot of security. I am guessing you are a young couple, but please tell us your age and whether you have kids. I have not lived in Hawaii, and so cannot comment on that. But I have been with the federal government for many years, and it has been wonderful. Think about the full health benefits and job security your husband will have, and compare that to what you have now.

Also, your husband may be able to get promoted and receive more pay after a year or so. The government jobs offer a 20-25% COLA on top of the base salary in Hawaii, and 26K sounds awfully low to be able to make it in Oahu. Hopefully his actual salary with COLA will be higher than 26K.
Your unemployment benefits will eventually run out, correct? A full-time income that is very stable, including health benefits is very valuable in this economy.

I am curious why your husband cannot get a government plumbing job somewhere in the US? If the total salary is only 26K (including COLA) then my guess is that it is a very hard position to fill b/c no one wants to take it for that pay in Hawaii - again, that's just me speculating. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:41 PM

I am sorry, I misunderstood and thought you meant 26K per year, not $26 per hour.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM

So, if I calculated that correctly, at 26 per hour, that would mean he would earn about 50K per year? Is this correct OP?

26 x 40 hrs - $ 1040 per week

$ 1040 x 52 weeks in the year = $ 54, 080

Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Sorry, me again...am typing too fast and should probably double-check before I post...I meant to say I am curious why your husband cannot get a government plumbing job somewhere else in the US?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 PM

binkybarnes my husband will actually be getting paid $26 per hour so gross $1040 per week but then take away taxes, health insurance etc. And from what I have read they do not provide the COLA in addition to his salary. We have other debts so not knowing exaclty what you will be bringing home and not having a a cushion in the bank is taking a risk going 6000 miles away. I agree with having a government job in this economy is wonderful because it is secure. We are going to figure out how long his unemployment is for and see what our other options are. He has been looking throughout the US for other gov plumbing jobs but Hawaii was the only one that has been available. Its a very hard decision because either way I think we will be risking it so have lots to think about. Thanks for your input I will keep you posted on what we decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu