Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,885 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in Hawaii for a week, but I'll be moving here at the end of Summer, in early August, it's just me and the husband we want to live on or close to the beach, in a nice area, on the outskirts. I was looking at properties on the North Shore and I was curious about the commute to Hickam. I don't mind the drive but I was interested in traffic flow in the mornings and afternoons. Any help or suggestions of other places are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afinhawaii View Post
I'm currently in Hawaii for a week, but I'll be moving here at the end of Summer, in early August, it's just me and the husband we want to live on or close to the beach, in a nice area, on the outskirts. I was looking at properties on the North Shore and I was curious about the commute to Hickam. I don't mind the drive but I was interested in traffic flow in the mornings and afternoons. Any help or suggestions of other places are welcome. Thanks in advance.
I can understand your desire to live on the North Shore but the traffic for the commute would be terrible.

Why live in paradise and commute like in LA or DC?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Ask someone how long in morning and evening rush hour will it take to drive from the North Shore general area to Hickam. When you have that info, get up really early tommorrow morning and drive up to that area. When it reaches the time people say you have to leave to get to work on time, drive to Hickam. Not only will you see if the time is good but what you will have to deal with. Do the same thing during evening rush hour. Doing it is much better than asking about it.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM

109 posts, read 410,120 times
Do you have a rental car? Take the time to drive it and see. We should be moving to Hickam late June or July. We have been told to look into Kailua area using the H3. We were there in Oct. and loved the area. However, we have decided with the high cost of living ......our name will go down on the base housing as soon as orders appear.

Good Luck with your hunt. And have a great time this week!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDDS View Post
Do you have a rental car? Take the time to drive it and see. We should be moving to Hickam late June or July. We have been told to look into Kailua area using the H3. We were there in Oct. and loved the area. However, we have decided with the high cost of living ......our name will go down on the base housing as soon as orders appear.

Good Luck with your hunt. And have a great time this week!
Smart move going with base housing; with Hickam and Pearl now a joint base their should be more options. Try looking at the new housing on Navy Ford Island.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM

155 posts, read 516,228 times
My cousin lives in the Navy housing in Salt Lake and in relatively decent traffic, it takes 35-40 minutes to get to Haleiwa; add more time if you want to get to Waimea or Sunset Beach. That is like middle morning, early afternoon time NOT pau hana.
When I worked in Moanalua (hospital on the freeway) and lived in Waikiki, it took 2 hours on the bus to get back to the apartment. Of course the bus went through Chinatown, down Kapi`olani to Ala Moana, and then down to Waikiki. I caught a ride from another nurse a couple times and either on the H1 or Nimitz it still took about an hour and half. When I finally move to the island, my plan is to live as close as possible to the hospital I choose-I don't do crazy traffic!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:18 PM

I used to commute from Schofield Barracks to Tripler Army Hospital via H-2 and H-1 and it would blow my mind that most of the cars in the HOV lane had single occupants.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
When I was stationed at Hickam a few years back, we had some single guys living up there around Waimea. Our unit went off island a lot so they only had to make the commute for a month at a time.

They budgeted about 1.5 *hours* to make that drive because traffic could get poopy between Mililani and Aiea. I made a drive from north of Kaneohe (Temple Valley/Kahaluu) area in half that time on H3. If you're looking for rural-I'd consider windward side if you stationed at Hickam.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 AM

As retired military I was never much for base housing but with all the new housing being built and run by private companies for the military it's a whole new ball game and worth considering before living on the economy.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 PM

109 posts, read 410,120 times
afinhawaii- you didn't mention if you are active duty. Can you live on base? If you're active duty I'll PM you with a gov.web site for rentals.

Balad1- We lived on base when our kids were small and loved it. DH didn't like being told when to mow the grass and stuff like that but it was never a problem....I did it anyway. The last three assignments we have rented homes in the area with about a thirty minute drive to the base. Because of the drive I didn't use the support of the BX and commissary. I think with this assignment that support system will be a must.

I know the base housing is on the small size but most of the housing on the island is like-wise. Going to down size a lot before heading out.

DH would really like to be in the Kailua area but I just don't see it happening. I will watch the ads daily but it will be hard to rent something before we arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu