Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,615 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm going to be moving to Oahu in a few months. I'm planning a visit within the next couple of weeks to check out neighborhoods that would be possibilities for me to live. I'll have a contract job where I will need to go to Schofield Barracks for work. Can anyone recommend a safe neighborhood for me that would be close/easy commute? I'd like to not pay more than $1200/mo for rent.

I'm a single female, 29 with a small dog. I'm not planning on bringing much with me except for my laptop and some books and a couple bags of clothes. Other than that, I'm going to be packing pretty light. I think a roommate type situation may work out well too, since I am not really a fan of living alone, and will not have much in terms of household stuff.

I also need a car...thoughts on taking mine v getting a new one there? It looks like it's about $800-$1000 to get it there from CA, but I live in Missouri currently.

Any thoughts/insights would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,593,372 times
The car if you deliver it to the boat yourself is $1,072.00

Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,154 times
Schofield is located kind of up mountain and in the middle of the island. It is more rural than the highly populated areas to the south so as long as you are living in the area the commute is a non factor. I am no expert on housing in the area but I was stationed at Schofield until 2008. I would think that you need to concentrate your search to Wahiawa and the Mililani Town areas. You could also check the Haleiwa and Waialua areas to the north but I'm thinking the rents will be high because of the ocean being nearby.

As far as a car goes, how long is your contract work and are you still paying on your current car?

Good luck

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM

168 posts, read 726,993 times
Depends if you like your car & if it's worth the money to ship it. Mine is crappy so I'm leaving it here in IL b/c it isn't worth the $1,000 to ship. Plus, then you'll have to drive to LA to ship it. And I think I remember seeing that it takes like 3-4 weeks to ship your car so you could be on Oahu for up to a month w/o it. Maybe I'm wrong but just something to keep in mind. I have been told by a lot of ppl that I'll have no problem finding a nice enough car on the island b/c the military guys almost always sell them when they leave so there's tons of pretty nice used cars to be found. Good luck w/ your move!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,593,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiem8 View Post
Depends if you like your car & if it's worth the money to ship it. Mine is crappy so I'm leaving it here in IL b/c it isn't worth the $1,000 to ship. Plus, then you'll have to drive to LA to ship it. And I think I remember seeing that it takes like 3-4 weeks to ship your car so you could be on Oahu for up to a month w/o it. Maybe I'm wrong but just something to keep in mind. I have been told by a lot of ppl that I'll have no problem finding a nice enough car on the island b/c the military guys almost always sell them when they leave so there's tons of pretty nice used cars to be found. Good luck w/ your move!
As far as matson Long Beach terminal you check in on Wed. boat leaves on Fri. 10 days to port HNL and you get your car. If you check your car in on Thru,Fri. the boat leaves the following Fri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu