Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 AM

6 posts, read 49,386 times

Advertisements

Aloha all,
I'm looking at raising two or three chickens in my yard in kailua for their delicious eggs and fertilizing abilities. Does anyone know about the CCRs or county ordinances on this topic? I'm new to the area and not yet sure about where to find this info.
Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
If there are any CCR's - it would be up to the subdivision you live in. As to laws, that would depend upon the County - and each County has different rules.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There are all those ducks living over on Duck Road, so would they care about a few chickens? If it were me, I'd just keep hens and no roosters so the neighbors wouldn't be woken up early in the morning by crowing roosters.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM

41 posts, read 112,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midd2005 View Post
Aloha all,
I'm looking at raising two or three chickens in my yard in kailua for their delicious eggs and fertilizing abilities. Does anyone know about the CCRs or county ordinances on this topic? I'm new to the area and not yet sure about where to find this info.
Mahalo!
I'm sure your neighbors will appreciate it... NOT.

We shoot the wild chickens in our neighborhood so you need to keep them in your yard.

Sadly the backwards out dated law on Oahu allows each and every home... no matter how close to others... TWO chickens. Two hens or two roosters or one of each. Oahu is no longer a rural place but bedroom communities where people need to get up and go to work. But selfishly those who say its 'culturual' don't care about others. AINOKEA right? What they, those who raise them are really about is using them for fighting.

Why not go down to 'Whole Earth' and buy all the orgainic eggs you want?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Kewl! Two chickens per house! Just keep two hens and your neighbors probably won't even notice. You can get some of the brown chickens from Asagi Hatchery over on Nimitz Highway by Sand Island road, I think they are hatching them now. They did heritage breeds earlier this year, but they might be done with those already.

What kind of chickens are you going to get? You can check out Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart if you want to compare different breeds of chickens.

There is also a local chicken website: hawaiichickens : Backyard Chickens which might have some folks hatching out a few chicks near you.

Chickens make great pets and the hens are quieter than many dogs as well as giving folks eggs. If you handle the chicks when they are young, they will grow up to be very friendly chickens. It also helps if you get a friendly breed of chicken such as a Buff Orphington. The white leghorns are a bit skittish. All these sorts of things are noted on the Henderson chart.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 49,386 times
thanks hotcatz! i knew i could count on you for some enthusiasm and info as i've seen your postings on other chicken based sites. i'm in contact with the folks at asagi and will consider their regular hatches; however, since i am very concerned about my neighbors' happiness, i plan on getting only quiet breeds (pullets obviously). and the regulars at asagi aren't known for their hushed egg laying abilities. so yeah, ill probably go with heritage birds. apparently they will be back around may. and i am also familiar with the henderson chart.

after a lot of internet digging i discovered this 2 chicken rule, but thanks anyway for the confirmation.

TP123 - i presume you mean Down to Earth or perhaps Whole Foods in town? while stores are of course always an option, the eggs there aren't as fresh as from the yard, those stores don't sell wonderfully rich organic chicken ****, and their eggs won't also aid me in keeping my garden/yard/compost pest free. but thanks for your thoughts anyway. and obviously the chickens will be staying in my yard. that's pretty much the whole point.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM

52 posts, read 208,849 times
I live on The Big Island with my chooks.no roosters. Alot of people of chickens roosters included,most appear free range,many wild as well. My chooks are 7 silkies all pullets and 7 months old. I believe that this breed can live to be 12/14 yrs old. They are my pets firstly,egg laying comes second. The eggs are great as I monitor their food intake and provide alot of organic for them. We will most likely be retiring in about 4 yrs to move to Oahu to bo close to med services,use the bus transportation etc. My concern is this: We are quiet people ,hens are inside garage waiting for their coop to be finished , will therew be a law/rule that forces me to not move over to Oahu with remaining flock when it is time to go?I am not sure if there will be a concrete answer to rely on as things can change. It is bad enough having to say a good bye to this beautiful island but to leave my chooks will break my heart.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 AM

Silkies aren't really chickens. Those are too small and strange looking to be chickens so they must be "Peruvian ground parrots", don'tcha think? And there's no rule that says how many Peruvian Ground Parrots anyone can have now is there?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,580 times
Hotzcatz I know this was posted years ago and u probably won't get it but love the duck road post. I live on duck road (30+ years) and loved the ducks. The prettier ones that is. But now we have none.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:25 AM

What happened to the ducks on duck road? How can you have a duck road with no ducks? They looked to be mostly feral ducks or even someone's pet ducks, but there's a native Hawaiian duck out there, too, so would they have removed the non-Hawaiian ducks to protect the Hawaiian duck? But, if they did that, then there'd at least be the little brown ducks around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: