Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 03:53 AM

15 posts, read 41,919 times

Advertisements

OK I found a place with a weird name on test drive unlimited. I think it's around Honolulu somewhere, possibly near the airport, but it isn't right next to the coast. I remember it was a small village/unincorporated community. The spelling was something like "a'la'la'a" but I can't remember the first letter.

The problem is that I don't have the game anymore. Please help me remember it! It does exist, it had it's own wikipedia page but I can't find it now... I'm also pretty sure I've found it on google maps at some point as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Aala Park?

A`ala Park - Hawaii History - Chinatown

Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Kahala?

Kahala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2010, 11:37 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
There are only nineteen letters in the Hawaiian alphabet and most of them don't look like they'd fit well with that string of letters. Try an "H", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P" and "W". One of those might work.

Honolulu and a large part of Oahu is one huge mass of housing, businesses and shops, there isn't a lot of separation between any of them and there aren't any "incorporated" villages or anything. Most everything is the city and county of Honolulu unless it is pretty far out from the center. We use place names just so we know which part of the beast we are referring to, a lot like "ear" "tail" and "foot" would be in referring to the beast. Anything near the airport would be Honolulu and the place names could refer to a housing area, a shopping area or just the general geographic area but on the ground, there won't be any visible boundries.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There are only nineteen letters in the Hawaiian alphabet and most of them don't look like they'd fit well with that string of letters. Try an "H", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P" and "W". One of those might work.
Hmm. That's six more letters than I learned in my Hawaiian language courses.

For the record, the Hawaiian alphabet consists of five vowels - A, E, I, O, U, seven consonants - H, K, L, M, N, P, W, and the glottal stop or 'okina.

Quote:
Honolulu and a large part of Oahu is one huge mass of housing, businesses and shops, there isn't a lot of separation between any of them and there aren't any "incorporated" villages or anything. Most everything is the city and county of Honolulu unless it is pretty far out from the center. We use place names just so we know which part of the beast we are referring to, a lot like "ear" "tail" and "foot" would be in referring to the beast. Anything near the airport would be Honolulu and the place names could refer to a housing area, a shopping area or just the general geographic area but on the ground, there won't be any visible boundries.
The entire island of O'ahu comprises the "City and County of Honolulu." Many O'ahu neighborhoods like 'Aiea, Kailua, Kane'ohe, Pearl City, La'ie, Kapolei, etc. have signs at their boundaries.

Here are links to a couple of reference guides to place names in Hawai'i that might be helpful.

Place Names of Hawai'i
Hawai'i Place Names: Shores, Beaches, and Surf Sites

Old 03-26-2010, 03:04 PM

94 posts, read 318,932 times
also, i remember reading that while test drive is a reasonable facsimile of the island of oahu, it remains far from accurate.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks, Jonah! No wonder I couldn't remember what the rest of the letters were! My list did seem a bit short. I shoulda looked it up instead of trying to remember it.

What is "test drive" anyway? A digital GPS type map?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 PM

62 posts, read 223,443 times
Quote:
Thanks, Jonah! No wonder I couldn't remember what the rest of the letters were! My list did seem a bit short. I shoulda looked it up instead of trying to remember it.

What is "test drive" anyway? A digital GPS type map?
Its a video game. Its been out since at least the Sega Genesis. Probably even before that.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 PM

94 posts, read 318,932 times
this specific version of it (pretty new) is based on a semi-accurate virtual version of oahu. the idea is that you can free-drive anywhere on the island, but the geography/sites aren't exactly right.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 PM

At least Oahu has lots of roads to drive on. If they had the game sited on any of the other islands folks could probably "test drive" all the roads too soon and get bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu