Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 PM

59 posts, read 192,852 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 so have been through all this **** recently. First thing I'll say right off the bat is if you don't pick up and follow your dreams at 17, it likely won't happen later (there are always exceptions, but this statement is 95% true). Life events will take care of that.

So in one sentence, my advice is to go for it.

If it turns into a complete ****storm and you choose/have to move back with your parents, and go to NIU or UIUC or UIC, five years from now you'll be a lot happier still, not having to wonder every day what would have happened if you'd gone to Hawaii.

My second piece of advice is, wherever you go GET GOOD GRADES AND MAKE AS MANY FRIENDS AS YOU CAN. If you have something that you REALLY want to major in and do the rest of your life through thick and thin no matter what, then by all means major in that. If not, then do something practical like nursing that will lead to job security. I say meet a lot of people because that's how you get integrated into a place like Hawaii, and I'm assuming after college you'll need all the connections you can get. Having extra friends can help you get a JOB after college. That's how I've found all of my jobs actually, someplace a friend was working needed to hire more people. When that's the case, the interview is so much easier.

But also, read as much discouraging advice as you can. These people are just trying to help for the most part. You should read it now so you're prepared if you live it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 AM

160 posts, read 486,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb8685;13831255
My second piece of advice is, wherever you go [B
GET GOOD GRADES AND MAKE AS MANY FRIENDS AS YOU CAN[/b]. If you have something that you REALLY want to major in and do the rest of your life through thick and thin no matter what, then by all means major in that. If not, then do something practical like nursing that will lead to job security. I say meet a lot of people because that's how you get integrated into a place like Hawaii, and I'm assuming after college you'll need all the connections you can get. Having extra friends can help you get a JOB after college. That's how I've found all of my jobs actually, someplace a friend was working needed to hire more people. When that's the case, the interview is so much easier.
This is fantastic advice! Networking here is very important, at times more important than grades or your past work record. My husband would probably still be looking for a job if I didn't have an Aunty to vouch for him.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 AM

94 posts, read 319,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Well I've served on admission committees for med school, and it actually does matter where someone went to college. It's just too hard to sift through thousands of applicants with identical GPAs, etc.

But I guess if one is looking to be average...then going to any run-of-the mill college is fine. Hell, you don't even need to go to college to be successful... but you better be darn entrepreneurial and savvy.

Look...I really don't care where the original poster goes to college. I just think you shouldn't discredit the value of going to a stellar university...and not just attending a university because the weather is nice.

This kid has barely had any life experiences (sorry... one week in Waikiki doesn't count). I'm sure he would have just as good an experience in some other outside-Chicago location.

Just being out from under the parents' roof will be life-changing in of itself!

I vote for school in Montreal...or Rio de Janeiro... those are great places if you want some culture while you're studying

-V
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "average."

I'm not discounting the fact that a nice school will open doors for you; rather, I'm saying that not everyone can get into or afford a nice school. And of course, by "not everyone" I mean, "almost no one." It's a fact of life. Not everyone can be the outstanding mover and shaker that you apparently are.
When you're talking about which random public university to go to, incremental differences in prestige (eg. "This one is number 240 on US & World Report's best colleges, but this one is number 213!") aren't going to make a difference in grad school applications. Just another identical statistic, as you said.

If going to the absolute best school ever so you can get the very best job is the most important thing to you, by all means, don't go to an average state school.
But if you don't mind having an average job because your self-image and mood isn't all tied up in that sort of crap, then go to whatever school makes you above-average happy.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 PM

91 posts, read 419,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteefoster View Post
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "average."

If going to the absolute best school ever so you can get the very best job is the most important thing to you, by all means, don't go to an average state school.
But if you don't mind having an average job because your self-image and mood isn't all tied up in that sort of crap, then go to whatever school makes you above-average happy.

Why go to college at all then?

My "self-image" and "mood" aren't tied into my job or education. But I also do think it's helpful to inject some hard truth into the original poster's situation. During hard times likes these (ie. higher unemployment, weak economy), some people oftentimes wonder why no one is hiring them...and then they regret the decisions they made in their younger years when they had more time and opportunities.

I know so many people who are in less-favorable jobs now, which they hate, but must stay in to support their families. These people are intelligent, good people but did not set up good foundations for themselves earlier on in Life (not always their own "fault"). And now it's very difficult for them to gain the education/training to be hired for better positions.

I'm not saying that you should sell your soul to Goldman Sachs and work 100 hrs a week doing mind-numbing work that you hate. But I also don't think you should ignore the realities of education, money, etc. and how they will influence the rest of your (and your future family's) life.

Also by the way, having a good education and a good profession doesn't mean you can't enjoy life. On the contrary, I know many well-educated and professionally-"successful" people who lead vibrant and diverse lives.

But happiness is to each's own...

And I agree to whoever said to get good grades and make as many good friends as possible.

I disagree with whoever said that life after age 24 becomes a s***storm... life can be just as enjoyable at every stage in one's life...

-V

Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM

94 posts, read 319,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Why go to college at all then?
Right, because employers and grad schools see that I went to the University of Kansas or this other person went to UC Santa Cruz or that one guy went to UN Las Vegas and they just throw out our applications. Best to hire the guy that barely finished high school.

I'm not even quoting the rest of your post, since you've completely missed my point.

All it boils down to is that for the vast majority of schools you might end up at, hiring managers and admissions boards aren't going to nitpick you. Yes, if you end up at Harvard, it matters. If you get a D average at your local community college, it matters. But if you're a B average student at a vanilla state university, you don't look any better or worse than a B average student at some oh-so-slightly better vanilla state college.

If the OP goes to a middle-of-the-pack college in a place that makes him happy, how is that worse planning than going to a middle-of-the pack college in a place he/she hates? The options aren't "Go to Cornell and get a good education" or "Move to Hawaii and become homeless."

(I won't even go into how useless phrases like "in hard times like these" are--a whole helluva lot can change and will in the five years before the OP graduates.)

Old 04-21-2010, 03:55 PM

91 posts, read 419,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteefoster View Post
Right, because employers and grad schools see that I went to the University of Kansas or this other person went to UC Santa Cruz or that one guy went to UN Las Vegas and they just throw out our applications. Best to hire the guy that barely finished high school.

I'm not even quoting the rest of your post, since you've completely missed my point.

All it boils down to is that for the vast majority of schools you might end up at, hiring managers and admissions boards aren't going to nitpick you. Yes, if you end up at Harvard, it matters. If you get a D average at your local community college, it matters. But if you're a B average student at a vanilla state university, you don't look any better or worse than a B average student at some oh-so-slightly better vanilla state college.

If the OP goes to a middle-of-the-pack college in a place that makes him happy, how is that worse planning than going to a middle-of-the pack college in a place he/she hates? The options aren't "Go to Cornell and get a good education" or "Move to Hawaii and become homeless."

(I won't even go into how useless phrases like "in hard times like these" are--a whole helluva lot can change and will in the five years before the OP graduates.)

To each his own... different opinions make the world a lively place

(I think we have beaten this topic to death)

I again recommend college in Montreal or South America!

-V

Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM

19 posts, read 74,931 times
My advice, do what you think feels best. As you can see, there are two different ends of the spectrum to choose from, both have their good parts and bad parts. Compare the two, and think about which one fits with you. But, do think rationally.

If I were in your shoes, I'd imagine myself in University of Hawaii, an average state school. Applications would be a breeze and I'd probably get in easily. I would imagine myself studying around campus, enjoying Oahu, living in a commuter college (majority commute, about 1,500 people are residents), in a large campus with many students. And most importantly, I'd imagine myself living on my own independently in a Hawaiian University in Honolulu. Then I'd imagine myself graduating and going into the job market. There will be a lot of stress and worry involved as my application is swimming in a pool of other equally privileged applicants, expect a few rejections and some time unemployed. But, after a while, a job will/should come.

Then I would imagine myself at, say, University of Chicago, a top of the line school. A lot of work and stress would be involved to get the grades required to get in. It's a sad fact, but it might be too late already. Either way, it doesn't hurt to apply. I'd imagine myself studying around the campus, enjoying the incredibly large and interesting City of Chicago, living in a small tight nit college (60% of undergraduates are residents, Freshmen have to), and again, most importantly, I'd be an independent young adult in Chicago. Once I graduate, getting a job should be a breeze with the connections and "weight" of the diploma that the University of Chicago gives. I might have a few student loans to pay off, but with a steady and immediate job it should be paid off in no time.

And compare away.

And, if you were to go the international way, I'd recommend Hong Kong. It's definitely one of the greatest places in the world. It's scenery is very similar to Hawaii's too. Many tall/hilly islands (Hong Kong is an island, as well as a city that includes various other islands and a peninsula. Think of it has Hawai`i island and the state of Hawai`i). Except, pollution there is much more extreme than Hawai`i. Plus, there is enough English there to survive without Cantonese (Cantonese is beginning to die out vvvvvveeeerrrrrryyyy slowly, along with other Chinese dialects, except Mandarin). Mandarin wouldn't do you any better than English, no one speaks it there regularly. You'll only hear it in the touristy places. Trust me, if you want to live in a CITY city, Hong Kong would beat Chicago ANY day.

If you like to party, Europe would be great. Germany is a beautiful country, and the teens/young adults there really know how to party. 16 year old drinking age for beer and wine should tell you enough (and that's only purchasing, consumption's no age if in private, and 14 with parents if in public). Strangely enough, American teens drink more. From my experience: German parties - Good alcohol (not some cheap miller/bud light), steady drinking through the night but no sudden binge, music, and everyone's just in one area talking and socializing throughout the house, or outside (no public intoxication laws), or a bar sharing drinks with an off duty police officer. American parties - bad alcohol (warm garage beer lol), mouldy secluded basement, drinking as much and as fast as possible, everyone messing with the stereo and changing the song, plenty of drunken uhh, well you know what happens when a man and a women get together..., plenty of vomit to go around, and the occasional 911 call to get some girl who just threw up blood everywhere to the hospital, and the irregular but still possible police bust and alcohol citations to go around. To me, American parties suck, German/European parties are where it's at. If you're looking to party, I would say some average but decent sized European school will be more fun than some heavy party school in America (ASU, Penn State etc.). You'll get bored of the lack of style involved with alcohol consumption. More more more is not always better better better.

I only said all of that because partying is a big part of college, and, well at least at my school, High School as well.

Last edited by musho3210; 04-21-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,593,999 times
Nice post Musho

My only advice is this Don't let our inner Tourist make your decision for you! then compare compare its a lief long choice you will always look back on.

Good luck

Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 PM

21 posts, read 55,936 times
thank you all for the recent thougthful posts..keep them coming! they are very helpful!

KoaKine - that is excatly why i wanted to post a thread about this to make sure the tourist part of me isnt making the decision! i realize there is a lot that goes into making a decision like this and want to make sure i am making the right one! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu