Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,606 times

Advertisements

I read the posts about racism and Hawaii, but honestly, I didn't see anything directly related to China Town. I have heard that China Town is worse than the rest of Honolulu, and that people who aren't local, aren't welcome. I would love to hear this is not true, as I hope to visit China Town when I go to Hawaii.

I also heard that China Town was diverse in its Asian cultures. I was especially hoping this was true, as I am currently an Asian studies major, learning Japanese. I am excited at the thought that I might get to communicate with a native speaker (besides my teacher).

I'll be in Hawaii for 15 days, during the month of May. If anyone has any good suggestions where I could go, please let me know!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 PM

44 posts, read 264,542 times
Default China Town

China town is a nice place to visit in downtown Honolulu. There is a little bit of a quiet old world feel down there. I have been in alot more busy China Towns in the U.S. where there is alot of commerce, food, music and activity. China town in Honolulu seems to be a tight knit community that seems not so interested in selling paper dragons, fireworks, cheap shoes, ect. I love the rustic feel of downtown China Town in Honolulu, it may be quiet but take a deep breath and look around, there is alot to see and take in.

Last edited by lootie; 04-22-2010 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 04:25 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smwoods2003 View Post
I also heard that China Town was diverse in its Asian cultures. I was especially hoping this was true, as I am currently an Asian studies major, learning Japanese. I am excited at the thought that I might get to communicate with a native speaker (besides my teacher).
I think you might have more luck if you visited or called the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii.

Japanese Cultural Center of Hi, Honolulu, HI - Google Maps

Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
There are probably more native Japanese speaking people in Waikiki than in Chinatown. Chinatown might have more native Chinese speaking folks, though.

Isn't "Golden Week" in May? If so, then Waikiki will have loads of native Japanese speaking folks!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,225,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smwoods2003 View Post
I read the posts about racism and Hawaii, but honestly, I didn't see anything directly related to China Town. I have heard that China Town is worse than the rest of Honolulu, and that people who aren't local, aren't welcome. I would love to hear this is not true, as I hope to visit China Town when I go to Hawaii.

I'll be in Hawaii for 15 days, during the month of May. If anyone has any good suggestions where I could go, please let me know!

Thank you.
I'm not a Hawaiian local or resident. But visited Honolulu a few times up to a month at a time.

I'm white/haole...blond hair even, etc. Anyways, I loved Chinatown Honolulu. Never felt any bad vibes anywhere there.

Actually, I didn't get the impression it was all that 'local' either, as you mentioned that they wouldn't like non-locals. There was a stronger Chinese/Vietnamese element, and with the language as well.

I think they half expect that a lot of people will be in downtown Honolulu and Chinatown...people of all races, and such...so seeing non-chinese or non-vietnamese is pretty much the norm.

However, your post you also mentioned wanting to speak Japanese in Chinatown. Not very likely, as I don't recall ever seeing Japanese tourists, Japanese shopowners, or anything else Japanese. Mostly Chinese, Vietnamese, and I wouldn't surprised if maybe some Thai or something like that, etc.

If you want to meet Japanese...the Japanese tourists are all over the place at Ala Moana Mall and Waikiki Beach. A lot of the tourist businesses in and around Waikiki also target and focus with Japanese tourists. So, you'll be much better off focusing on that area for Japanese in particular than Chinatown.

Also, there are some amazing Japanese Buddhist 'zen soto' or something...can't remember the name...but they look like fusion of catholic church element/styles but with teaching Japanese language, culture, etc. in these Buddhist temples...saw them throughout Oahu and Hilo on the Big Island as well for that matter.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,225,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There are probably more native Japanese speaking people in Waikiki than in Chinatown. Chinatown might have more native Chinese speaking folks, though.

Isn't "Golden Week" in May? If so, then Waikiki will have loads of native Japanese speaking folks!
First week in May.

I'm in Japan now, and April 29th is a minor holiday...a Thursday. Regular day on Friday...and then the big Golden Week holiday is M-T-W on May 3-5.

So, yeah, you should be seeing them in loads very shortly!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 PM

91 posts, read 279,252 times
I love Chinatown, and I'm not a local. I go to yoga several times a week in Chinatown, frequent the restaurants, and love to get coffee and just stroll around. I'm super excited that I finally am free on a First Friday and can head down for the art galleries, etc.

Chinatown gets a bad rap, but it's a pretty cool place I think!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
i love chinatown. great place to skate and visit great food.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,622,983 times
Chinatown is a lot of fun, everyone is welcome. It is a great place to get cheap produce, try different foods, and hang out with friends. It is a little sketchy at night, not St. Louis, MO or Camden, NJ kinda sketchy by any means... but I didn't like my wife going down there by herself after the sun went down. Especially down by River St.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM

698 posts, read 1,510,766 times
I go to eat at Chinatown all the time. The food is amazing and its at a great price. Me and friends joke about how we have to pay for water and tea that all the other Asians in the restaurant get for free. We call it the Haole Tax. You don't complain though when you realize your eating some of the best Asian food in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: