Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:29 PM

91 posts, read 279,331 times

Advertisements

I wish I had bought our new twin on the mainland before shipping. I didn't really price them, so I don't know that difference. But I do know that I could have gotten a decent matress at Ikea for a few hundred, vs. the 700 I paid here for the 2nd cheapest one the store had. (Cheapest one felt like cardboard.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:07 PM

109 posts, read 410,408 times
Ouch! 700 dollars each....I should just by in CA before heading over.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:28 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,058,616 times
as a former mattress and furniture sales person who worked for one of the companies mentioned in this thread. IMO you get what you pay for (plus the shipping to Hawaii) a 700 for a mattress is not unreasonable. you want to purchase a 300 dollar mattress it will last you a few years at best before the foam goes flat.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,279,292 times
this is the only time I wished an IKEA was in Hawaii as well. When I lived in hawaii, i just bought my furniture at the Sears location. Kmart and Walmart when they came to Hawaii.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:14 PM

IKEA in Hawaii..Wow wouldn't that be heaven. All the furniture is in boxes.....shouldn't be too hard to ship over.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,441 times
When I moved some household goods from Southern Calif to Hawaii a while back, I priced items at Costco both places to decide what to buy/ship.

I remember that one of the items that was a bit more on Oahu was a mattress. Not that much more.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 PM

91 posts, read 279,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
as a former mattress and furniture sales person who worked for one of the companies mentioned in this thread. IMO you get what you pay for (plus the shipping to Hawaii) a 700 for a mattress is not unreasonable. you want to purchase a 300 dollar mattress it will last you a few years at best before the foam goes flat.
I definitely don't think it's unreasonable to pay 700, I just know I could have gotten one I liked for less if I had shopped at Ikea beforehand. I had a great twin from there for years, and my niece still uses it. Since this mattress is just for guests, and only used a few weeks a year, I would have rather paid less. But, getting nice twin for 700 here on the island isn't that bad, just not what I wanted, in retrospect.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 PM

Shopping for twin mattress this weekend! Thanks guys. I might call Sear on Oahu and check on a BQgrill I wanted to purchase. See if they have one and how much it is. If it's a lot more than the Sears in CA, I will be purchasing that also. It can ship in the box.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:25 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,058,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd23 View Post
I definitely don't think it's unreasonable to pay 700, I just know I could have gotten one I liked for less if I had shopped at Ikea beforehand. I had a great twin from there for years, and my niece still uses it. Since this mattress is just for guests, and only used a few weeks a year, I would have rather paid less. But, getting nice twin for 700 here on the island isn't that bad, just not what I wanted, in retrospect.

I have no problems with buying any mattress at the price being charged. in the mattress dept. you should by to the best of your budget and sometimes our budgets are not very much. I just hate to see people think that the lesser costing mattress will last very long then they are disappointed. the sales person should let the customer know what they are getting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: