Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,606 times

Advertisements

So im a marine getting sent to K Bay for the next few years and would like any feed back on what to look forward to, where should I look to live, should i spend the extra money to send a 2nd car out there or buy one when I get there, will it be hard for my wife to find a job, is four wheel drive a must have to truly see the island, and the big one is the boat issue ( me and my wife both enjoy scuba diving)? Your help will me greatly appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 20,011 times
Buy a second car when you get here. Start looking on craigslist right now so you know pricing and options. you do not need a 4 wheel drive to see the island. We scuba too and are looking on craigslist for a small boat now, but there are a lot of opportunities to scuba with others and from shore vs the cost of keeping a boat....we haven't decided either.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
You may not even need a second car, depending on where you live, your schedule and if the bus will work for you. Lots of folks use mopeds and bicycles to get around. No need for 4WD, a better need is good gas mileage and something easy to park in parking garages and to drive in traffic.

Parking places, especially slips and mooring places are much harder to find than boats. Friends with boats is sometimes a whole lot easier than having your own boat. There are scuba clubs and such, joining one might be a great way to get out into the water. There are also a lot of places where you can scuba from shore.

A really nice place to live would be the Kaneohe side of Kailua. It's easy to get to the base and Kailua has wonderful beaches. It is also nice and flat for bicycle riding and has shopping and just about everything you'd need. Honolulu is easy enough to get to, also, when you wanted to go to the city.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,091 times
The cost of living in housing off base in Hawaii is quite expensive, even with high BAH. Don't discount living in base housing, most of it is nicer than what local people live in.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSoughtDevil View Post
and the big one is the boat issue ( me and my wife both enjoy scuba diving)?
Just what are your questions about a boat?

I live in Kailua, own a 16' runabout (kept in my carport) from which I snorkel on Kaneohe Bay, launching it from the Marina boat ramp on the base. Beautiful coral (here and there) in the bay. Lots of turtles in certain spots.

The Marina on the base has boats for rent. Also a storage yard, and some moorings. Don't know availability on those.

Here is the Oahu Craigslist of boats for sale:

oahu boats classifieds - craigslist

Here's a chart of Kaneohe Bay:

Nautical Chart 19359 - Kaneohe Bay Oahu East Coast - SailVector.com

Hank

Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A really nice place to live would be the Kaneohe side of Kailua. It's easy to get to the base and Kailua has wonderful beaches. It is also nice and flat for bicycle riding and has shopping and just about everything you'd need. Honolulu is easy enough to get to, also, when you wanted to go to the city.
Agreed!

Hank

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM

95 posts, read 296,481 times
Don't ship your second car unless you have to have it..... Plenty of "island beaters" on Craigslist or any base lemon lot (best prices). As far as your wife working, there are assets on each base for spouse employment. Try the website "great life Hawaii" which is a Navy site with tons of info including spouse employment..... The base housing on Oahu has gone through major renovation or totally rebuilt all over the island. No more "project" looking homes at all. Almost makes me want to sign up again..... The rents off base are rediculous. You would be better off using your BAH and straight up buy a place and pay the mortgage with your BAH.... Plenty of folks do it. Then when you PCS, you sell it and the equity is all yours.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu