Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:17 PM

92 posts, read 351,206 times

Advertisements

Hey MrSaturdayNight,

I would recommend you ship your car with Matson. Then work with AutoLogistics, the company that does the mainland auto transport and works with Matson, to do the transport from the West Coast to Philly.

Matson does the shipping process from Hawaii to the West Coast, most likely, to the Long Beach port in the L.A. area.

Matson also has a contract with AutoLogistics, a company in Taylor, Michigan, that does the transportation process from California to whichever destination you specify - Philly in your case.

I think you will pay around a total of $2200 to Matson. But let me tell you what, SaturdayMan.

Do NOT hire another auto transport company to transport your car from Cali to Philly.

Use the car transport company, AutoLogistic, that does business with Matson. Why?

Moderator cut: Consumer complaints are not allowed here.

Unfortunately, with auto transportation, cheap price means service. These companies that you see in the Hawaii Yellow Page phone books are brokers who find auto transport truckers who are willing to take your car or vehicle at a certain price and also depending on the location of the destination on the mainland. The brokers try to reap most of the money while giving squat to the truck drivers, which results in delayed delivery and crappy customer service.

So overall, I shipped my vehicle to the midwest with Matson, but made a mistake by not paying more money to go with Auto Logistic (who does business w/ Matson), and went with a cheaper auto transport company who delayed the delivery of my vehicle by a week, the truck driver cussed me out, and demanded more $$$ at the date of delivery.

Good luck!

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-01-2010 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: please watch your language. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 PM

128 posts, read 540,820 times
Hi thanks for the info,

If I go with Matson and Autologistics, would I need to contact them each seperately or would Matson take care of everything for me? Also, would you happen to know how long from door to door the whole transport process would take till I can get back in my car?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Hi thanks for the info,

If I go with Matson and Autologistics, would I need to contact them each seperately or would Matson take care of everything for me? Also, would you happen to know how long from door to door the whole transport process would take till I can get back in my car?
You would simply pay Matson for the whole shipping process.

The process is easy.

As to how long the transport process will take? I would say around two to three weeks. It takes about a week for Matson's ship to arrive in Long Beach. I would give the other auto transport company about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to transport your vehicle from Long Beach, Calif to Philadelphia.

My blunder was that I was too concerned about "money" and price, so I decided to only ship my car to the West Coast with Matson, and hire another auto transport company by looking in the Hawaii Yellow Page phone book.

Anyhows, go call Matson and ask them about the transport process to Philly.

I don't know when you specifically need your car. But check on Matson's website to see when their ships leave the port in Honolulu.

They have a specific schedule.

-----

On the other hand, you could also choose Horizon to ship your car. I'm not trying to just push Matson's company on you.

Call them up and ask if they partner up with another company to transport vehicles from the West Coast to the East Coast.

By doing this, you only make one payment, and there is less hassle.

Good luck.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-03-2010 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: consumer complaints are not allowed here due to libel issues. thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Hi..i have update for those who were interested to know.
So I called Matson, Horizon and Pasha today to get more information and here is what each told me.

1. Matson: They do ship and deliver all the way from Honolulu to Philadelphia but the total cost they said would be $3564! They sail out from hawaii every week and they told me it would take anywhere from 5-6 weeks before my car would be ready for pick up. I asked if they put the cars in containers and they said no.

2. Horizon: They told me that they do not deliver all the way to Philadelphia and that they only sail it to the usual west coast ports. If I wanted it delivered to the east coast then they said I would have to hire my own transport company to take it from the west coast to Philadelphia. Their rate was $1072 and they do put the cars in containers and they sail out every week.

3. Pasha:They deliver the cars all the way to the east coast but not to philly but to one of their locations somewhat close by my home (1 hr distance away which I can reasonably go to pick up). Their rate for the whole delivery would be $2245 and they do put the cars in containers but they sail out every 2 weeks instead of weekly.

I have a feeling that I may get a different answer everytime based on who answers the phones there especially since Matson told me it would cost me $3564 for the whole delivery..II wasn't expecting it to cost me that much through Matson as I was expecting more around 2K-2.5K instead but nevertheless based on these responses it seems like Pasha would be the way to go.
Before today, it seemed like most people went with Matson or Horizon but I have not heard much about what people had to say about Pasha. If anyone has any personal experience with Pasha could you please let me know what you think about their service and if its good idea to ship my car through them as Pasha seem to be the least known out of the 3.

Thanks again

Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Matson has a ship that is specifically designed for vehicle transport - hence no need to put the vehicles in containers! This is what our car was shipped in from Oakland to Hilo. No salt, no dirt on car.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,865 times
Just used www.shipmyvehicle.com to ship two vehicles in November from Honolulu to Ashland VA. Cost $2200 per car, took about 30 days for the cars to arrive. I used the same company in 2004 to ship a car from Virginia to Honolulu. I had a good experience both ways. I believe they use horizon to the west coast and then broker it the rest of the way. It is definitely worth checking out.

One thing to ask about, if you can ship it to a terminal rather than a residence you can sometimes save a couple hundred bucks. Ask them where the closest terminal is, if it is less than a couple hours drive it may be worth your trouble.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 PM

shipmyvehicle.com is Horizon.
There are three vehicle shipping companies to/from the islands. All others are brokers and will use one of those three anyway.

Matson, Pasha, Horizon.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Before today, it seemed like most people went with Matson or Horizon but I have not heard much about what people had to say about Pasha. If anyone has any personal experience with Pasha could you please let me know what you think about their service and if its good idea to ship my car through them as Pasha seem to be the least known out of the 3.

Thanks again

I know I'm kind of late with this response. But I would then recommend you go with Pasha's service.

That's good that you're willing to drive an hour to pick up your vehicle at a terminal.

That's something I forgot to tell you. If you pick your vehicle at a nearby terminal, that will save you some more money.

Do NOT choose the Horizon people, as they told you to find your own broker. Since I've had bad experience with a broker I've selected from the Hawaii yellow page, I don't want you to suffer the same bad consequences I did couple of years ago.

Matson costs more than $3K to ship to the east coast?!! Wow! Their price really went up from three years ago!

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Any reason why you cannot ship to one of the West Coast ports and pick the car up there yourself and drive to Philadelphia? Or, fly one-way from Philly to LAX, pick up your car at the port and drive back to Philly? Would be a nice way to save a bunch of $ and see the country.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Any reason why you cannot ship to one of the West Coast ports and pick the car up there yourself and drive to Philadelphia? Or, fly one-way from Philly to LAX, pick up your car at the port and drive back to Philly? Would be a nice way to save a bunch of $ and see the country.
Well i did consider it at one point. I do love to drive and one of my goals in life is to do a cross-country road trip eventually. However if I did this drive I would like to have someone accompany me but none of my friends are able to join me because they are busy with work and cannot take the week off for it. It would definitely save me a great deal of money however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: