Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM

43 posts, read 93,120 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping there a lot of helpful people out there because I'd love all the insight, advice, blunt comments you've got!!!

My boyfriend and I are moving to Oahu. I'm planning to attend UH Manoa to get my master's, and he used to live here and wants to come back so we're both FOR SURE going to make this move.

I'm trying to put together an estimate of what our monthly budget is going to look like and I'd really appreciate some info, if you can.

-- For a one bedroom apt rented by a conservation-oriented (aka fanatical) couple, what would the electricity bill look like?

-- Recycling. Is it by apartment complex (pick up service, like garbage)? Is there a specific place to take your recyclables?

-- Does anyone have the internet service Clear? How well does it work for you, and how does it compare to any other internet service?

-- I've done most of my homework on the various grocery stores in the area and what it would cost each time to stock up, but ANY tips or hints would be fantastic!!

-- I'm SCUBA certified and by the time I make it to Oahu I'll have to re-certify. Are there any divers out there that are loyal to a particular dive shop and would love to recruit a new member?

-- Is The Bus really as amazing as I've heard?

I'm gonna sound very n00bish (sorry) but what is the best way to make a start if you haven't taken the time and spent the money to take a trip down to view apartments and set one aside for when it's time to move? We first looked into a hostel. Then we thought we'd be able to stay with a friend. Turns out they'll be off the island by the time we arrive. Is the best way to begin by looking for a sublet or temporary/private housing? It would only be for about 2 weeks, maybe a month. Just enough time for us to get our first paychecks and actually get around to seeing all possible places to live.

ANY helpful advice would be amazing!! Bluntness is best! I can take it!

Thanks for reading!
Jen & Derrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,461,978 times
I'm on Kauai and don't know what the price difference is between electric in Kauai and Oahu. But my boyfriend and I share a large studio and are electric bill is always over $150 and maxed out at $180. We have opposite schedules (when I'm at work, he is home and vice versa), which definitely brings up the bill. Plus we eat very different foods (haole food vs filipino food!), which also increases are bill. The lowest I ever paid as maybe $125.

Also, I have had pretty bad experiences with the Bus.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanks Mar0! I've heard the electric bill can get to be on average $150/mo. I plan on doing everything I can to minimize that bill

Hope to hear from more people!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 AM

32 posts, read 151,875 times
-- For a one bedroom apt rented by a conservation-oriented (aka fanatical) couple, what would the electricity bill look like? Depends on where you are. If you're looking in areas that are close to Manoa, I'd say that $150 is reasonable, if you're using a/c. Less if you don't.

-- Recycling. Is it by apartment complex (pick up service, like garbage)? Is there a specific place to take your recyclables? Recycling is catching on in Oahu, but it's nothing like the mainland. Many garbage services don't offer it as part of their bi-weekly pickup. Most of us have to turn in our bottles/cans for cash at a recycling center. I don't know about newspaper and plastics.

-- Does anyone have the internet service Clear? How well does it work for you, and how does it compare to any other internet service? Internet service through Oceanic is fast and clear. I have no complaints.

-- I've done most of my homework on the various grocery stores in the area and what it would cost each time to stock up, but ANY tips or hints would be fantastic!! Get a Sam's Club AND Costco membership. Even if it's just the two of you, you'll save money. Don Quiotes is less expensive than Foodland and Safeway.

-- I'm SCUBA certified and by the time I make it to Oahu I'll have to re-certify. Are there any divers out there that are loyal to a particular dive shop and would love to recruit a new member? Snorkle Bobs!

-- Is The Bus really as amazing as I've heard?
The Bus is great, really reliable, particularily in town. But even going around the Island and all points west, it's fast and reliable.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,409 times
Our electric runs between $180-250 for 2 people, depending on how often we run the a/c and how much laundry. A lot of the apt don't have a/c or washer/dryers, so should be cheaper.

The bus should be free, if you're a UH student. I believe a bus pass is included in your activities fee.

For temp housing, I would check out vacation rentals. It will probably be more expensive per week or month, but you won't have to deal with turning utilies and first & last.

I know you've heard this already, but Hawaii is not a cheap place to live and its not easy to cut corners. You will become immune to sticker shock after a couple weeks. Oh, milk is $XX, so what, I need milk! I buy bulk at Costco, fruits & veggies @ Don Quiote and odds & ends at Safeway, Longs for beer & wine.

Good luck with everything!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Thanks DBale and Jolifille for your input!

I have a couple more questions...

Why do I need both memberships? I already have Costco's. Does Sam's have different stuff/better prices?

Where are the recycling centers? Are they few and far between?

To save on electricity, would getting a fan and using the windows/breeze be a ok or would I suffer? I love warm weather but I get hot really easily... Is it humid a lot?

I'm suuuper excited about going to Don Quijote's!! I love asian supermarkets!!

I'll have to bring my boyfriend in on this convo. Thanks again to everyone!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:44 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,302,804 times
Will comment that the bus is extremely reliable with my experience. I do know people who have had bad times with it.

Renting a place where they have gas and solar panels is the way to go. Kauai's electricity is historically exceptionally high. I always have a lower bill on Oahu (plus I rented a place with solar panels and a gas stove). The only thing I really use the electric for is utensils, lights, fans, TV etc...It's the AC that will shoot your bill up sky high.

The city did have or was going to have curbside recycling available in certain areas but I don't know too much about it. And as mentioned there are recycling centers and places to drop off papers.

Clear is here on Oahu and Maui. There are many ISP.

You will not have to re-certify as far as last I knew (things can change fast).

And as mentioned and you already said, you got the shopping down.

FYi - Most of the employers in Hawaii will hold the first check (it's a payroll thing) and so with a new job expect to wait maybe 4 weeks for the first check.

Expect to pay first and last months and a security (not always but it's best to be prepared). And the credit check; potential landlords will expect you to pay for it (use to be around $20).

What's your major?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Hi there Tyvin! I haven't actually applied yet (missed the deadline) but its the best place for me to make my start! I've always wanted to attend UH Manoa because I want to study marine conservation.

Well anyways... So how to find a place with solar panels and a gas stove? My main source of "research" has been craigslist. Is there another way to look for places? Without paying a rental finder service?

Thanks for the heads up on the job-paycheck thing. That's a good thing to know. So when you say expect to pay first and last month... you mean the rent of the first and last month all at once? On craigslist, most say to may first month rent + security deposit. Is there a more reliable way to look for apts on oahu?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 AM

246 posts, read 650,895 times
I'd say forget about recycling, for now. Regardless about your passion or fanatical approach to sustainable living, getting established here is a higher priority. The mentality towards green living is about 10 years behind California, which means searching for recycling centers, solar panel heaters/electricity, and use of natural gas incorporated into your apartment search will make it considerably difficult and cumbersome to finalize and execute your planning.

I do sustainable design and construction. I know many fanatical sustainable conscious people. You will easily put green living on the side when you realize the effort to find an apartment, get set for school, both of you FINDING a job, and surviving the first few months financially adjusting to Honolulu. That is, unless you have a lot of money and good paying jobs already lined up, then you'd have the luxury to pick and choose........

When you get settled then you can take your time to pick your off the grid, greywater recycling, on site eco sewage treatment, closed loop apartment!!!

Apartments between Makiki and Kaimuki rent to college students. If you don't mind house sharing, that is usually the cheapest way to go. Better facilities and yard to chill on for bbqs and hot summers.

Don Quiote is awesome, they have just a ton of stuff and also check out Nijiya Market by Pucks Alley. Clean Asian grocery store with organic vegies, pretty cheap groceries and they have prepared food too.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 AM

94 posts, read 319,204 times
My girlfriend and I are in pretty much the same situation--she's going to UHM for her masters/doctorate here in August and I'm planning on just getting a job to help out.

As we get closer to our move date (July 21), I'll definitely be posting more and more about it, so hopefully you'll see those posts!

As far as what we've done to prepare for the move....
We already had one moving sale and got rid of a bunch of stuff and we're already planning a second sale right before we move to get rid of stuff we need right up til the end (TVs, beds, etc) and the stuff we forgot to sell.
We have our plane tickets booked (we got them about a month ago) and we have a hotel room reserved for when we get there. Our hotel reservation is for two weeks and the room has a tiny kitchen and everything (somewhere between a hotel room and a vacation rental it seems). We're paying something like $50 a night, which is not so bad... $1400 a month which is not a whole lot more than we expect to pay for our apartment (though under $1000 would be great!)
Luckily the tourist business and Hawaii's isolation make for a lot of medium-length-stay hotel situations, so there are plenty of viable "looking for a permanent place" options for living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu