Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 AM

20 posts, read 13,398 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a city that we can look at in Fl. I lived in DeSoto county back in the 80s and it was OK but since has become run down. I looked at Ft. Myers and like it but its a bit to crowded. I also looked at Punta Gorda and Pt. Charlotte and liked it but its a long way south. I ran across Mount Dora and it seems like a nice place, with low crime and nice old town feel. I am not stuck on this town and if anyone knows of a better fit I am open. We are about 12 years off from retirement full, and are partly retired now. We need to have one of us work to get insurance and my wife has good experience in Real Estate and banking with an associates deg in accounting. She would be looking for something in the banking or related industry to pay a few bills and insurance until we can both retire. We have a nest egg that pays for most of the bills and our home is paid for. So we would not have a mortguage payment, and our home where we live now would be worth more than a nice home in Fl. So a paid for home should not be a problem. Any sugustions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Why did you post this in "Ocala?"

Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 AM

7 posts, read 17,759 times
Default Mt Dora

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspartyhouse View Post
I am looking for a city that we can look at in Fl. I lived in DeSoto county back in the 80s and it was OK but since has become run down. I looked at Ft. Myers and like it but its a bit to crowded. I also looked at Punta Gorda and Pt. Charlotte and liked it but its a long way south. I ran across Mount Dora and it seems like a nice place, with low crime and nice old town feel. I am not stuck on this town and if anyone knows of a better fit I am open. We are about 12 years off from retirement full, and are partly retired now. We need to have one of us work to get insurance and my wife has good experience in Real Estate and banking with an associates deg in accounting. She would be looking for something in the banking or related industry to pay a few bills and insurance until we can both retire. We have a nest egg that pays for most of the bills and our home is paid for. So we would not have a mortguage payment, and our home where we live now would be worth more than a nice home in Fl. So a paid for home should not be a problem. Any sugustions appreciated.

I am in the same place you are re retirement. Currently my husband and I live in Wonter Park. We are real estate investors and doing this research fills most of our thoughts. If you decide on Mt Dore, I think it would be ok if you were in walking distance to downtown. Imagine walking to the shops and pubs and going out for a morning coffee. Last night we visited Baldwin Park in Orlando and are having the retirement discussion again. Look int Baldwin park before you decide.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,964 times
We are retired and have lived in Baldwin Park since 2004.
I retired at 48 and my wife at 54 in 2002 and moved from MI.
Celebration is where we thought we would be but then we found BP and the location was so much better.
My wife and some other women she met started an over 50's group and we get together for montly happy hours, bi annual large parties, financial clubs etc. couples and singles.
We did not want a retirement comm. and enjoy the diversity of ages.
Bike and walking trails around the lake and the Cady Way, walk to restaurants and Publix and CVS and banks is 10 minutes away.
We have ridden our bikes to the mall and Best Buy 1/2 mile away.
Barely use our cars; 500 and 4,000 miles annually per.
Close to Winter Park which is laso fantastic and numerous theaters in the area.
25 miles to WDW and Seaworld which we do like but away from the crowded tourist areas.
Whats not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala