Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 33,609 times

Advertisements

Anyone know how an area south of Brownlee Woods (Boardman township) became part of the Youngstown City Schools? Did it have anything to do with the 1923 Annexation of Brownlee Wood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
I don't know, but I'm guessing it was either because they assumed the city was going to continue to expand, or because the residents of that area felt YCSD was the superior school district and lobbied to become part of it.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM

Hello JR_C,
Would there be any way to find a document to confirm that the residents wanted to be part of Youngstown City School District way back when?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
Maybe. But keep in mind, I'm just repeating worthless hearsay.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:11 PM

According to a Youngstown city planning book (1950's) students in this area (near Paul C Bunn) school once were sent to Poland schools. This was prior to Paul C. Bunn school being built. The Brownlee Woods annexation of 1923 mentions nothing of extending the school boundary south of the city limits. I know city limits and school districts often overlap but I curious is to how or why this happens. I heard it had something to do with bussing way back when. Any thoughts.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM

285 posts, read 703,096 times
Paul C. Bunn is a Youngstown school in Boardman township, so the school district boundaries would have to have been changed for the Youngstown school system to build a chool there.

Several years ago, the precincts in Boardman petitioned to break away from the Youngstown district and become part of the Boardman school district. The Youngstown district opposed the change and the state board of education sided with Youngstown, saying that the change would have contributed to segregation.

The Vindicator covered all of this when it was going on.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Hi Ytownguy,
Thanks for responding. I guess I will have to take a look at the vindicator archives to see what went on. What is interesting to me is that the people back in the 1980's wanted to leave Youngstown and go to Boardman schools. According to my records, the area we speak of was once Poland Schools, not Boardman. I have no idea what school system it was prior to the Brownlee Woods annexation of 1923. Do you have any idea how Youngstown City Schools could have changed the Boundary line back in the day (1950's)?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:15 PM

285 posts, read 703,096 times
All I know is that rhe southeast part of Youngstown was growing in the 1950s. Many of the houses in Brownlee Woods (particularly east of Sheridan) were built then. The most likely situation is that the best option for a new school (biggest, cheapest, most convenient piece of land) was across Country Club Avenue in Boardman Township.

I wasn't alive when this happened, but my hunch is that the prospect of a brand new school in the neighborhood was enough to persuade people in those precincts of Boardman Township to switch school districts. Youngstown's school district had a much better reputation in those days. That has changed over the years.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Do you think the board of education of each school system (Youngstown and Poland) would have any information about a possible territory transfer back in the 1950's. I have already contacted the ODE (Ohio Department of Education) and they told me that they didn't have any information. I must have happed prior to the formation of the ODE.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,625 times
this forum is not going to help you with historical research. the people here tend to be more concerned with real estate prices and upcoming small town events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio