Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,484 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am trying to find out any information on a company in Wellsville, The Wellsville Glass company, I would appreciate any information any one could give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 11,481 times
Default Wellsville Glass Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBare View Post
Hello, I am trying to find out any information on a company in Wellsville, The Wellsville Glass company, I would appreciate any information any one could give me.
I am also looking for info on this glass company. My greatmother gave me some china made at this company. The china was given to my great grandmother as a wedding gift. Please help me find out any info available on this company.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 30,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthfrancoeur View Post
I am also looking for info on this glass company. My greatmother gave me some china made at this company. The china was given to my great grandmother as a wedding gift. Please help me find out any info available on this company.

Are you sure you are looking for china? There was Hall Pottery located in East Liverpool that for ages made good diner ware and cups.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:41 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Is it glass or china???

Do you really have glass or china?

Are you really looking for information about a piece of china, stamped with Wellsville Glass Company. Do you know it is Wellsville, Ohio? There is also a Wellsville in NY and PA. The one in NY may have also been in the pottery / glass trade a bit. Probably other Wellsvilles other places.

I am not aware of any modern company producing glassware in Wellsville in recent times. There was a company with ACME in the name that did produce glassware a good while back. This was blown glass AFAIK. Steubenville was probably the main place that produced glass.

A good place to start is the East Liverpool Pottery Museum. They should know most of the facts for the region.

http://www.themuseumofceramics.org/pottery.html

The prime pottery in Wellsville was Sterling China but it and most other potteries are shut down. Only a few may still be in operation around East Liverpool.

Sometimes you find ware that is stamped with a name that was the shop selling it, not who actually made it. How old are the pieces?

Not much of anything left in Wellsville.

The East Liverpool area had a bunch of companies making ceramic / porcelain things other than tableware. A lot of it was for electrical devices like the tube / knob spacers or insulators.

The only other pottery in Wellsville I know of, went by something like the Ohio China ......

You don't give enough details to even know where to start. My sister might know, she knows most things about Wellsville or she probably can find out.

Last edited by Cosmic; 03-04-2007 at 05:54 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 10,602 times
Smile The Wellsville Glass Co, Wellsville Ohio

I'm also looking for The Wellsville Glass Co. I have a bedpan that I picked up at a yard sale.It has stamped on the bottom of it - The Wellsville Glass Co Wellsville Ohio. From What I have found out there were glass/pottery companys there in the early 1900's. Please can anyone help me.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 9,065 times
Hi,
I was born and raised in Wellsville, Ohio. I lived there from 1949 to 1967. My grandmother worked at Sterling China in WEllsville and they made glassware. She used to take me to the pottery when I was little. She retired from there. For info on it click on this web page and type Wellsville or Sterling China in the search block. Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 8,058 times
i have a platter with two large roses with greens the outer edge is trimmed in gold the back reads wellsville ohio china co. would like to know when it was made and how much it would be worth

Old 01-01-2011, 02:41 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Can't anyone here use Google?

Click this:

Let me google that for you.

The top link that says "Angelfire.com" has a short history of the company.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,480 times
Default Social Interaction vs Isolation

Yes, people can google - that is how we arrived at this page --- I have been collecting since I was 17, that was 50 years ago, and I prefer to be social with other collectors, rather than isolated staring at a lifeless computer page full of the same info that is on other sites.

For a novice collector, the online info on the Ohio pottery industry can be overwhelming, especially when considering the numerous East Liverpool potteries. Some people can not recognize the difference between pottery and opaque glass (my father was one). A direct discussion on a friendly forum can be enlightening to collectors. I have been trying to find additional info on the Albright China company which was destroyed by fire after only a few years in business.

I guess I will go back and click on a different link that my google search brought up. This thread was interesting, and appeared promising, since there were posters who lived in the area all of their lives - at least it appeared promising for a while. I have lived in my area all of my life, and in return can give info on the salt glazed stoneware companies that sprang up along the Monongahela River south of Pittsburgh --- Hopefully, I will discover a forum that welcomes all inquiries ... and resultant comments.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,945 times
Default Wellsville China Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBare View Post
I was looking for Wellsville China Company. I have a piece left to me from my mother. On the back of my piece it plainly says Wellsville, Ohio. I started checking, found it on [URL="http://www.OldandSold.com"]www.OldandSold.com[/URL]. It is listed on page 39 of USA. Wellesville CHINA Company (not GLASS)was working in 1879. I will go back to the history information and post it here. I am still researching this and would gladly share my findings if anyone wants to stay in touch. Also, would appreciate any information you may find. I would like to know the value and any information on this piece I can find. I have many pieces of porcelaine, crystal, cut glass, pottery and china from various companies, and so far the pieces I have checked are over 100 years old. It is not easy to find the companies that old or older and the search is long, but it is interesting and educational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio