Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,339 times

Advertisements

Hello. We currently live in Las Vegas and have an opportunity to transfer to Ohio. We can choose between Columbus and Cincinatti/Kentucky. Although his company would be prefer us to choose Cincinatti because of the multiple offices he can manage across the 2 states.

We have visited and love Columbus. Hello? It has The Crew and we are big soccer fans.

But, besides that, I stay at home and have 4 kids so the education system and safe, friendly neighborhoods are top priority. I have elementary, middle and high school.

Proxemity to my kids actitivies are a must. I have a competitive gymnast (optional level), football, baton twirler and a son in the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) cadet program.

We can afford 180-250k and would like a yard. We have lived in Las Vegas (total city scene) and in a small (8k pop.) country town (farming community). A mix between both would be great that is close to all activities as we are on the road 6 days a week between all 4 of them.

I am lost trying to figure Cincinnatti and this Kentucky over the river thing and need help. Or would you just suggest we go with Columbus?

What is all of yours valued opinions!!! Thank so MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 02:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Start by correcting your misspellings of Cincinnati, then get back to us...okay?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 PM

249 posts, read 609,385 times
I would looked into Columbus its a fastly growing city

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
The northern suburbs of Cincinnati are great, and closer to Columbus. Either West Chester on I-75, or Mason and Lebanon on I-71 a direct route to Columbus. Warren and Butler counties are very nice areas with great schools. Plus, you are in the Cincinnati metro area, and your husband will be able to get to work easily.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
The northern suburbs of Cincinnati are great, and closer to Columbus. Either West Chester on I-75, or Mason and Lebanon on I-71 a direct route to Columbus. Warren and Butler counties are very nice areas with great schools. Plus, you are in the Cincinnati metro area, and your husband will be able to get to work easily.
I would second this ^

Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Columbus is a relatively compact metropolis (by American standards), it's state Capitol (a.k.a. more stable $ inflow, more policing, less ghetto), it's surrounded by less developed & farmed land to the East & South. Florence, KY, Cincinnati, OH, Dayton, OH, it is one big sprawl, in all for about 100 miles along I-75, you don't know where one town ends and another begins.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Columbus is a relatively compact metropolis (by American standards), it's state Capitol (a.k.a. more stable $ inflow, more policing, less ghetto), it's surrounded by less developed & farmed land to the East & South. Florence, KY, Cincinnati, OH, Dayton, OH, it is one big sprawl, in all for about 100 miles along I-75, you don't know where one town ends and another begins.
It's all connected along I-75, but you get away from 75 and there are some really nice towns surrounded by great countryside. Just like in South Florida where Miami connects to West Palm on I-95, or the NE Corridor, Dallas to Forth Worth, Austin to San Antonio, Tacoma to Seattle, etc. You have large cities in a smaller area (SW Ohio), you are going to get sprawl from said cities suburbs. And I-71 is completely different from I-75 in the sprawl field. Mason and Lebanon are two very nice growing communities that are in the Cincinnati metro, but a straight shot to Columbus.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,615 times
Default meh - Columbus - gray scale lifestyle

My family and I moved to Columbus two years ago for a seasonal job contract project. We live on the East side of Columbus.

I am a positive and optimistic person and try to cope with my environment. However, I can honestly inform you that Columbus if a very bland city.

At first, my wife and I began look in local papers, etc for events, concerts etc to check out. A good example is the yearly Asian festival. We were stoked about the website, promoting authentic Kung Fu artist and genuine Asian experiences etc. We went to this event on a Saturday morning, very optimistic and excited to be a part of it. We arrived at the Franklin Conservatory (adjacent to very rough neighborhoods) and only spent about 20 minutes there once we discovered it being nothing more than an Asian-themed flea market, ran by locals with nearby Chinese restaurants serving fried chicken and rice. It was so lame and misrepresented from the promos. If you have children, beware there was at least 20 spotted male cross-dressers walking around at the event.

The city of Columbus, except for places like Gahanna, Dublin or Upper Arlington is mostly very run down and ghetto. Much like Detroit or even Haiti- no joke!

The roads here will send you to the alignment shop a few times a year, due to the large pot holes and cracks in the pavement all over the interstates, especially 70 W toward Dayton. Be sure to check your brake lights frequently, cause they will blow from the jittery road impact.

The city seems to care less about fixing the roads. The Columbus police cars are dirty and rusty. That shows the city is careless about image management and cleanliness. There is liter and pollution all over the city.

There isn't much creative culture or diversity here. However, there is plenty of Somalians, Hindus, and Middle Eastern families throughout.
You will seriously mistake Cleveland Avenue as downtown Baghdad or a city in Africa.

The foreign ethnic groups live to themselves in a city-wide subculture, with a dumbfounded attitude when you try to make business with them.

The culture of Columbus consist of mostly Ohio State Buckeyes. It's almost clannish! You will see hundreds of people on any given day of the year, wearing OSU gear, tattoos, flags etc. OSU is a great team and the university is really good too, so I guess that's all the locals have to rally about. Be ready for some dirty looks when you wear a LA Dodgers hat or something other than OSU.

Obesity is really bad in Columbus. Columbus ranks as one of the fattest cities in the nation. You will see a small few on Saturday morning jogging or cycling but not many. My local gym looks like the auditions for "Biggest Loser" show. It's ridiculous!

There isn't much to do here other than shopping at Easton or eating at some the restaurants around town. Occasionally, there is a few good concerts that come through town, but not many.

The people here are a bit on the squirly side when it comes to getting things done.

If you like living around attractive and fashionable people, Columbus is not the place for that. I have noticed after 2 years that a lot of people here dress for lounging on the couch. You will see a lot of people, especially the woman here, wearing pajama bottoms, heavy coats and slippers as the common attire. The hygiene and facial appearance on many of the people is undesirable.

If you like the basics like shopping, eating out or the movies, Columbus is awesome in that regard. If you like beaches, mountains, creativity and cool events, Columbus is not for you.

The weather from October-May is gray and dull, sometimes even unbearably cold, windy and wet. During those months, people move about like zombies and seem so depressed. There is like a cloud of depression hanging over the city.

I've never experienced depression until I have lived in Columbus. I am hoping and praying that my wife and I can land a position at a more desirable location somewhere else very soon.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Ugh-oh! I can just sense that The Avenging Angel is preparing to swoop in on this one! (everyone batten down the hatches and put on your flak-jackets-- HE's on the way!)

Last edited by motorman; 12-14-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrever View Post
My family and I moved to Columbus two years ago for a seasonal job contract project. We live on the East side of Columbus.

I am a positive and optimistic person and try to cope with my environment. However, I can honestly inform you that Columbus if a very bland city.

At first, my wife and I began look in local papers, etc for events, concerts etc to check out. A good example is the yearly Asian festival. We were stoked about the website, promoting authentic Kung Fu artist and genuine Asian experiences etc. We went to this event on a Saturday morning, very optimistic and excited to be a part of it. We arrived at the Franklin Conservatory (adjacent to very rough neighborhoods) and only spent about 20 minutes there once we discovered it being nothing more than an Asian-themed flea market, ran by locals with nearby Chinese restaurants serving fried chicken and rice. It was so lame and misrepresented from the promos. If you have children, beware there was at least 20 spotted male cross-dressers walking around at the event.

The city of Columbus, except for places like Gahanna, Dublin or Upper Arlington is mostly very run down and ghetto. Much like Detroit or even Haiti- no joke!

The roads here will send you to the alignment shop a few times a year, due to the large pot holes and cracks in the pavement all over the interstates, especially 70 W toward Dayton. Be sure to check your brake lights frequently, cause they will blow from the jittery road impact.

The city seems to care less about fixing the roads. The Columbus police cars are dirty and rusty. That shows the city is careless about image management and cleanliness. There is liter and pollution all over the city.

There isn't much creative culture or diversity here. However, there is plenty of Somalians, Hindus, and Middle Eastern families throughout.
You will seriously mistake Cleveland Avenue as downtown Baghdad or a city in Africa.

The foreign ethnic groups live to themselves in a city-wide subculture, with a dumbfounded attitude when you try to make business with them.

The culture of Columbus consist of mostly Ohio State Buckeyes. It's almost clannish! You will see hundreds of people on any given day of the year, wearing OSU gear, tattoos, flags etc. OSU is a great team and the university is really good too, so I guess that's all the locals have to rally about. Be ready for some dirty looks when you wear a LA Dodgers hat or something other than OSU.

Obesity is really bad in Columbus. Columbus ranks as one of the fattest cities in the nation. You will see a small few on Saturday morning jogging or cycling but not many. My local gym looks like the auditions for "Biggest Loser" show. It's ridiculous!

There isn't much to do here other than shopping at Easton or eating at some the restaurants around town. Occasionally, there is a few good concerts that come through town, but not many.

The people here are a bit on the squirly side when it comes to getting things done.

If you like living around attractive and fashionable people, Columbus is not the place for that. I have noticed after 2 years that a lot of people here dress for lounging on the couch. You will see a lot of people, especially the woman here, wearing pajama bottoms, heavy coats and slippers as the common attire. The hygiene and facial appearance on many of the people is undesirable.

If you like the basics like shopping, eating out or the movies, Columbus is awesome in that regard. If you like beaches, mountains, creativity and cool events, Columbus is not for you.

The weather from October-May is gray and dull, sometimes even unbearably cold, windy and wet. During those months, people move about like zombies and seem so depressed. There is like a cloud of depression hanging over the city.

I've never experienced depression until I have lived in Columbus. I am hoping and praying that my wife and I can land a position at a more desirable location somewhere else very soon.
I will call this poster out! lol

Where to begin. Have you ever been to Detroit or Haiti? Columbus doesn't even compare. Columbus you can compare to Austin, Texas, but Detroit and Haiti?! Talk about a stretch. Columbus is far from being a run-down ghetto, and is known more for being more new and sterile.

Where is your link for Columbus being one of the fattest cities in the country? Have you ever been to Kentucky or any other southern cities?

Columbus' roads are bad? That's a shocker to me, someone who travels 3 weeks out of the month to other areas. Columbus' roads are a dream compared to most areas, and they are well taken care of because they are the main way of getting around, plus the city is newer and growing so the demand for roads is there.

Liter and pollution all over? Have you been to Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and New Jersey?

Your views on the ethnicity in Columbus come off a bit racist.

You sound like someone who came from Sioux Falls, South Dakota. What you described in Columbus is in every region of the country, and much worse in most areas. You had a bad experience, and now make it seem like Columbus was hell on Earth. You want hell, head up north to the depressing state of Michigan, or down south where cities lack culture even Columbus has. You want obesity, you have no clue how bad it is down south where I had to live for two hellish years. You want traffic congestion and liter, I lived in Boston as well. No place is perfect, and the flaws you found in Columbus are EVERYWHERE. You sound like some 17 year old who had a bad senior year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio