Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,858 times

Advertisements

PITTSBURGH - Shell Chemicals will build a "multibillion-dollar' ethane cracker somewhere in West Virginia, Ohio or Pennsylvania, as the company continues reviewing potential construction sites.

Shell: News on Local Cracker Plant by Jan. - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

The article goes on to say that the deciding factor will be how easy it is to work with local government.

I live in Mahoning County directly between two Utica wells that are currently under construction. My question is, where are our local officials on this? You would think that Tim Ryan, Capri Cafaro, and all of the other usual suspects would be climbing over each others backs to get this plant in our area.

I don't know if it needs to be on the Ohio River, or if it can be out in a field somewhere. I do know that the Utica shale is producing oil, and wet gas that would be used at this plant. The more shallow Marcellus shale in Pennsylvania
is producing a dry gas. That leads me to believe that this cracker plant would be better served on our side of the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,938,905 times
I heard about this, no matter where it's located it's definitely much needed in the tri-state area. My dad hear on the radio the other day that there are companies in Steubenville who are looking to hire over 10k people in the next 18 months. The projected unemployment in 10 years is !%.............let's hope it's true!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I heard about this, no matter where it's located it's definitely much needed in the tri-state area. My dad hear on the radio the other day that there are companies in Steubenville who are looking to hire over 10k people in the next 18 months. The projected unemployment in 10 years is !%.............let's hope it's true!
Boom Town: Ohio Town Sees Thousands of New Jobs - ABC News

Old 11-29-2011, 12:01 PM

^Thanks.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM

They are getting closer to announcing their decision.

Down To The Wire; States Continue Push for Plant - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
The number of jobs that the gas drilling creates in an area is exaggerated greatly...most of the workers are from far away states like Texas. The drilling is already going on in the part of WV I live in and the gas companies have hired hardly any locals at all.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Do you think they are going to bring construction workers from Texas? What about truck drivers?

There are skilled workers coming from Texas. Some will go back home, others will move here. Either way they will pay taxes to our States. The people that have skills to offer will get jobs.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Do you think they are going to bring construction workers from Texas? What about truck drivers?

There are skilled workers coming from Texas. Some will go back home, others will move here. Either way they will pay taxes to our States. The people that have skills to offer will get jobs.
Are you in the Youngstown area? I heard that a lot of the local hotel rooms are completely full and they are actually renting them out. Seems similar to what is happening in Williston, North Dakota.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:03 AM

Traveler, I'm on the Mahoning/Columbiana County border. I haven't heard anything about hotels being filled around here. I did hear a rumor that Chesapeake is buying the old Timberlanes hotel in Salem. I just checked the Auditor's website, and that transfer has not gone through yet.

There has only been one Utica well drilled in Mahoning County so far. That's in Lake Milton. There are a couple more well pads built, and waiting for drill rigs, and a couple of issued permits, but nothing else.

The South Western part of Columbiana County has more activity with actual completed wells.

The mills are going crazy right now trying to supply pipe. That's where the current jobs are.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM

I'm now working in the steel industry right outside of Youngstown, but the type of product we produce is more related to bridges, railroads, and autos and so far we haven't found a use for any of our products w/in the oil/gas industry. Thankfully our company is small and has a successful business that makes money every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio