Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,792,085 times

Advertisements

Are Ohio Residents Being Bombarded with Presidential TV ads? Here in Southern New England there are NO TV ads for either Romney or Obama. In fact you might think, maybe Romney would advertise in MA, but there are literally NO political endorsement advertisements. Only local politicians, such as Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren for Ted Kennedy's old seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,854,333 times
Hi 9162--

I'm not.

Adblock Plus on all four of my computers, cancelled my cable last March and haven't looked back, and an iPod Touch filled with thousands of songs for when I'm out on the road.

The rest of Ohio? Well... I heard somewhere that Obama and Romney, plus outside groups, have spent $120 million in Ohio so far on the Cincinnati-Dayton alone. I don't have the numbers off hand to back it up, but given the number of billboards (and ads I've seen when at other people's places), I'm starting to believe it.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM

220 posts, read 322,344 times
Really?! you've seen none. I was watching the Brown's game yesterday and all I saw for commercials were ads for either Obama and Romney. I really thought this was normal for the whole country, but it might be just be Ohio and other swing states.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM

912 posts, read 1,734,654 times
I don't live in Ohio anymore, but I read in AdWeek that Cleveland has the 3rd most political ad spending of any city in the country (after DC and Vegas).

I was back in Ohio last weekend for Homecoming and I did see a lot more political ads during college football games than I do here in Pittsburgh. Also, literally every ad that plays on my Pandora stations (registered with an Ohio zip code) is a political ad. It's been like that for the past month or so.

I voted early! I wish I could just block out all the political ads now!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,693,207 times
Just about every ad is political right now. I don't mind. They are easy enough to ignore, and they are putting huge amounts of money into our economy.

There are radio stations, tv stations, sign designers, printers, and a whole lot more people in the advertising industry that are very thankful for those ads. Every one of them is collecting a paycheck, and paying their bills.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM

912 posts, read 1,734,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Just about every ad is political right now. I don't mind. They are easy enough to ignore, and they are putting huge amounts of money into our economy.

There are radio stations, tv stations, sign designers, printers, and a whole lot more people in the advertising industry that are very thankful for those ads. Every one of them is collecting a paycheck, and paying their bills.
I work in advertising, and I hate the political ads. I'm a media planner/buyer, so I decide where to place ads based on who my client is trying to reach.

These super PACs are paying double and triple what we are paying for ad space on TV and radio. In turn, our ads get bumped from the stations because the PACs come in with basically unlimited budgets and pay way too much for air time.

I've spoken with sales reps at some of the local TV stations I buy time on. They hate the political ads as well since they don't earn commission from political ads like they do with normal ads.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,417,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi 9162--
Adblock Plus on all four of my computers, cancelled my cable last March and haven't looked back, and an iPod Touch filled with thousands of songs for when I'm out on the road.
LOL..same here. I haven't had cable for almost four years now. I have OTA hooked up just in case I feel like watching the Browns lose every now and then.

Firefox Adblocker is truly a lifesaver.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,944,173 times
I don't have cable and rarely watch my over-the-air tv. Tonight by boyfriend and I watched Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and now the Big Bang Theory. Every ad tonight has been political. During the 7 o'clock hour it was mostly local state races, but the last half hour or so has been all presidential. Someone shoot me! I voted today and I'm so ready for it to be over!

I should mention that I live in the Youngstown/Warren/Boardman metro.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM

14,699 posts, read 14,674,826 times
Yes, they are incessant. Last I checked Columbus & Cleveland were #1 and 3 respectively for metros with the most political advertising. Not only does the presidential race come down to Ohio, but the PACs are fighting hard to unseat Sherrod.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,693,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I work in advertising, and I hate the political ads. I'm a media planner/buyer, so I decide where to place ads based on who my client is trying to reach.

These super PACs are paying double and triple what we are paying for ad space on TV and radio. In turn, our ads get bumped from the stations because the PACs come in with basically unlimited budgets and pay way too much for air time.

I've spoken with sales reps at some of the local TV stations I buy time on. They hate the political ads as well since they don't earn commission from political ads like they do with normal ads.

Are you saying that they are just burning piles of money out in the parking lot, and then the stations are playing the commercials for free?

You said it yourself, they are paying three times what you are paying. Somebody is making money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio