Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:30 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,888 times

Advertisements

I second the Youngstown-Warren area. Certainly not in the cities but anywhere else is fine. If you don't have a lot of money I am thinking the Bolindale section of Howland. Very good schools and great township services. Decent park at the fire station and convenient to shopping. Morgandale in Howland would be next. Slightly higher and better location. Still has a decent park and is very close to any retail you could imagine. If you would like another trailer, both of those areas have them and many rental houses. Good luck wherever you end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,345,951 times
Guys I have found a few nice looking homes for rent in the Youngstown area on craigslist, but Youngstown scares me. I know about the historical fallout that happened there over the decades and the crime that took over. Are there really good or great schools in Youngstown?

Old 11-01-2012, 05:52 PM

107 posts, read 168,005 times
Have you tried Medina County? Or Lorain County? I'm originally from Brunswick, Ohio and there is low crime and the schools are great.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Don't be afraid of Youngstown either! I don't live there, but I've visited several times in the last year and it is WAY better than you probably think it is!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 PM

912 posts, read 1,734,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Guys I have found a few nice looking homes for rent in the Youngstown area on craigslist, but Youngstown scares me. I know about the historical fallout that happened there over the decades and the crime that took over. Are there really good or great schools in Youngstown?
There are still some pretty dangerous parts of the city. There are also safe areas of the city. However, I wouldn't recommend living anywhere in the city because the schools are horrible. The same is true for Warren (a smaller city north of Youngstown.)

The suburbs of both cities are completely safe and vary in their cost and level of affluence. Schools outside of Youngstown City and Warren City are all pretty good. Here are all of the school districts that are rated "excellent" by the state (report card search):

Mahoning County (Youngstown's county)
Boardman
Canfield
Jackson-Milton
Lowellville
Poland
South Range
Springfield
West Branch
Western Reserve
The others in Mahoning county (like Austintown and Struthers) are rated "effective" the 2nd highest ranking.

Trumbull County (Warren's county, north of Youngstown):
Bloomfield-Mespo
Bristol
Champion
Howland
Hubbard
Joseph Badger
Lakeview
Lordstown
Maplewood
Mathews
McDonald
Newton Falls
All of the rest (not including Warren city) are rated "effective".

Columbiana County (south of Youngstown):
Beaver
Columbiana
Crestview
Lisbon
Salem
United

There you go. Plenty of school districts in the Youngstown area that are rated excellent. These schools range from large to small and everything in between. The towns they are in are also all different sizes and range from affluent to middle class suburbs and rural communities as well. Youngstown suburbs are far cheaper than Cleveland, Columbus or Cincinnati suburbs. If you want a more rural area with excellent schools, all three counties I listed have those for cheap as well. Depending on where you are in the area, you can get to Cleveland or Pittsburgh in under an hour, and Lake Erie beaches in around an hour as well.

Last edited by TheYO; 11-01-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM

Oh, nice lists thank you so much theYO.

Edit: I found a listing on Craigslist a minute ago for a huge home(only shows the exterior)6 bdr, 2 bth exct and it is in our price range. It is in the Northern Heights neighborhood of Youngstown, Ohio. Immediately I am intrigued that it is three stories tall with 6 bdrs and 2 bths. However I know nothing of the area, and it doesn't show any pictures of the interior.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,734,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Oh, nice lists thank you so much theYO.

Edit: I found a listing on Craigslist a minute ago for a huge home(only shows the exterior)6 bdr, 2 bth exct and it is in our price range. It is in the Northern Heights neighborhood of Youngstown, Ohio. Immediately I am intrigued that it is three stories tall with 6 bdrs and 2 bths. However I know nothing of the area, and it doesn't show any pictures of the interior.
That's the North Side of the city, and there are some beautiful large homes on the North Side for ridiculously low prices. However, it is still Youngstown city and Youngstown city schools, so I'd avoid it since schools are a major concern.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM

I emailed about three of the rental units on Craigslist inquiring about the home/areas. Haven't got anything back yet.

Does anyone have anymore information on the North Heights area of Youngstown? I am finding property in our price range and I figure its probably a bad area, but how bad and for what reasons?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM

Youngstown is sounding better and better. I like some of the revitalization efforts, the green building, and innovation in some of the places. We have found lots of affordable homes that even sparked us to apply for a first time home buyers loan lol! Never would I have thought Youngstown could be an answer for us. I didn't think owning a home could be a reality but it looks like its possible in Youngstown. WOW.

Any information on home rentals/sales in the urban Youngstown area would be appreciated.

Last edited by the_pines; 11-01-2012 at 10:17 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM

372 posts, read 466,735 times
I can assure you, Ohio's economy is doing much better than the nation and plenty of other states in the eastern half of the country, especially Florida. I left Florida because the economy was horrible and it is one of the most overrated places to live in the country. Since moving away I found a much better job, better school, and people I can actually stand to be around.

So a few questions:

1. What is your price range?

2. Ohio is like Florida, plenty of big and medium-sized areas to the small town/country settings. What part of the state are you really looking to be at. NE Ohio is completely different from Central Ohio, and Central Ohio is very different from SW Ohio.

Also, don't just look at Craigslist. Some of that stuff is sketchy and really just try to hype stuff up to what it isn't, although I found my current place that way Try to find rental properties in places like Boardman and Austintown which are suburbs of Youngstown. Youngstown/Warren has almost 600,000 people living in the area and several good suburbs. But the Youngstown/Warren area is the 7th largest area in the state, there are plenty of other larger areas to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio