Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,112,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought sububia is the vast flat suburban cornfields of Columbus.
Cornfields are actually farmland, not suburbia. And you guys have been very convincing that Detroit's biggest asset is that it has many wonderful McMansions 20 miles from Detroit's center. That is the true definition of sprawl. At least in Columbus, even when you're in sprawl, you're still pretty close to Downtown. And that sprawl is getting increasingly more dense as the vast majority of residential projects the last 5 years have been infill. At last count, there were about 12.8K new residential units under construction or in the works right now, not even counting everything that's been built recently. Almost nothing is going on in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Lake St. Clair
Many inland lakes that offer the option to own a home on a lake.
You can't own a lakeside home in the Columbus area?

Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM

14,724 posts, read 14,701,412 times
There's still not many entertainment options outside of the N. High corridor, though. Not sure if it's a case of NIMBYism or simply people being unwilling to risk opening venues in unestablished neighborhoods.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There's still not many entertainment options outside of the N. High corridor, though. Not sure if it's a case of NIMBYism or simply people being unwilling to risk opening venues in unestablished neighborhoods.
What do you consider to be entertainment? Bars/restaurants? Concert venues? Theaters? Museums? I'm sorry, but if after living in a megalopolis of 25 million people I can still find plenty to do in Columbus, then those who can't are seriously doing something wrong.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,400,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You can't own a lakeside home in the Columbus area?
Last I checked there weren't any lakes in Columbus area, atleast my definition of a lake....maybe a river but no lake and Alum Creek, Buckeye Lake don't count as Columbus. This is actually one of the negatives I found when living in Columbus and one of the reasons I preferred the Cleveland area.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,383,399 times
posters like jbcmh81 will try every possible way to convince us that columbus is growing so much that it will be the next chicago, la or ny... please stop your nonsense. columbus is an avg., boring city that feels like a giant suburb. and all the growth talk wont change that. im in columbus all the time, its not developing anything new that older more developed cities have had for decades. and it lacks history and character imo. boring in comparison to detroit, cleveland,boston,st. louis,philly,etc,etc... znguy is correct. buckeye lake is 30miles west with 22 miles of nothing after reynoldsburg. where is columbus waterfront and international ports? where are your boating/jetski/sailing and beaches?fishing? working steel mills? underground salt mines? pro football? pro baseball? pro basketball? etc, etc. go bucks! columbus SUCKS ! its boring compared to most metros. ps- the rest of the country hasnt stopped building/developing or growing just because columbus population is growing.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Last I checked there weren't any lakes in Columbus area, atleast my definition of a lake....maybe a river but no lake and Alum Creek, Buckeye Lake don't count as Columbus. This is actually one of the negatives I found when living in Columbus and one of the reasons I preferred the Cleveland area.
They are well within the Columbus area, so I'm not sure why they would not count. And your specific priorities are probably not that typical. I doubt even a small minority of people move to any place because the abundance of lakeside homes.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
posters like jbcmh81 will try every possible way to convince us that columbus is growing so much that it will be the next chicago, la or ny... please stop your nonsense. columbus is an avg., boring city that feels like a giant suburb. and all the growth talk wont change that. im in columbus all the time, its not developing anything new that older more developed cities have had for decades. and it lacks history and character imo. boring in comparison to detroit, cleveland,boston,st. louis,philly,etc,etc... znguy is correct. buckeye lake is 30miles west with 22 miles of nothing after reynoldsburg. where is columbus waterfront and international ports? where are your boating/jetski/sailing and beaches?fishing? working steel mills? underground salt mines? pro football? pro baseball? pro basketball? etc, etc. go bucks! columbus SUCKS ! its boring compared to most metros. ps- the rest of the country hasnt stopped building/developing or growing just because columbus population is growing.
You should call it boring again, I'm not sure you've quite convinced yourself yet. Not sure why you're getting so worked up. Cleveland is not under discussion and the one reference I made to the other 3-Cs was positive. In any case, underground salt mines, huh? Thanks for the laugh man, have a good one.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,501,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They are well within the Columbus area, so I'm not sure why they would not count. And your specific priorities are probably not that typical. I doubt even a small minority of people move to any place because the abundance of lakeside homes.
Columbus definitely does not have a Great Lake or anything even remotely close to it in its backyard- this much cannot be debated. Living by some place with a large body of water does have its perks, particularly in the summertime, but I agree that I doubt many people move somewhere for the sole purpose of living in a lakeside home or having boat parties when it's hot. And if that is their priority, they ain't moving to Ohio or Michigan.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Columbus definitely does not have a Great Lake or anything even remotely close to it in its backyard- this much cannot be debated. Living by some place with a large body of water does have its perks, particularly in the summertime, but I agree that I doubt many people move somewhere for the sole purpose of living in a lakeside home or having boat parties when it's hot.
Oh I agree, no Great Lake in Columbus. Lakeside homes, however? Sure. And it's not like Erie is all that far away. I got up to Cedar Point and the islands all the time. Not a big deal and I doubt most residents give it a second thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio