Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 AM

368 posts, read 639,917 times

Advertisements

i dont think youll ever see dayton become part of cincys csa,a person living near wpafb is almost the same geographical distance to columbus as cincy,obviously many ppl drive 75 between dayton and cincy,but they also drive 70 east.thats why soon it will be 3 lanes in each direction.places like springfield,troy etc,have no dependence on cincinnati for employment etc,where smaller areas in kentucky have alot of dependence on cincy for health care,employment,services etc,even if those towns are geographically alot farther away.many living in rural counties adjacent to cincy, columbus etc have to commute there for employment,i think these definitions are based on a city being the area of dominant influence in a region,dayton is just too big and far enough away not to be like a baltimore/washington etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 AM

332 posts, read 2,253,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I think too much focus is put on worrying about combining metros instead of growing what is already there.

I don't see how when there are a multitude of government organizations, at least in Northeast Ohio focused specifically on the growth of the region in terms of drawing new people and businesses to the area. The feds are the only ones capable of and actually merging metro areas and CSAs.

The media in NEO already refers to the region as Cleveland-Akron. They share a media market along with all of NEO outside of Youngstown, there are park and ride buses that come in to Cleveland from Summit and Portage counties and three freeways linking Cuyahoga, Summit and Portage counties. The area already functions as one metro despite not being considered one. In fact I believe prior to 2000 they were one metro area before the new CSA/MSA designation became the standard.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 AM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I think too much focus is put on worrying about combining metros instead of growing what is already there.
In some states, adding counties is the only way growth will take place.

Just for the record, I did live in an area 45 minutes southwest of Columbus at one point. Some of you might be familiar with the Walmart DC in Washington Court House; most of you may not. At any rate, I used to haul Walmart groceries out of that particular distribution center. Many of my routes took me as far south as Beckley West Virginia, as far west as Chicago, and PLENTY of Ohio runs. Just from my observations, Dayton and Cincinnati should be CSAs, but it seems as though Dayton is still considered a stand-alone city (which is fine too). I just find it a little funny that the urban lovers on this thread are actually complaining about how Cincinnati hasn't sprawled over into Dayton (enough to justify a Cin-Day CSA). And here I thought less sprawl was what the urban-nerds (like myself) truly wanted to see. I guess I was wrong...

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 03-13-2013 at 04:49 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,190,285 times
Quote:
I just find it a little funny that the urban lovers on this thread are actually complaining about how Cincinnati hasn't sprawled over into Dayton (enough to justify a Cin-Day CSA). And here I thought less sprawl was what the urban-nerds (like myself) truly wanted to see. I guess I was wrong...
Cincinnati boostersism (is it a form of urban insecurity?) is laughable.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,151,021 times
Quote:
I just find it a little funny that the urban lovers on this thread are actually complaining about how Cincinnati hasn't sprawled over into Dayton (enough to justify a Cin-Day CSA).
Sprawl is not urban.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,350,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I just find it a little funny that the urban lovers on this thread are actually complaining about how Cincinnati hasn't sprawled over into Dayton (enough to justify a Cin-Day CSA).
Bwah! Good one ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Cincinnati boostersism (is it a form of urban insecurity?) is laughable.
I wouldn't call it laughable, but it does border on insecurity.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
i dont think youll ever see dayton become part of cincys csa,a person living near wpafb is almost the same geographical distance to columbus as cincy,obviously many ppl drive 75 between dayton and cincy,but they also drive 70 east.thats why soon it will be 3 lanes in each direction.places like springfield,troy etc,have no dependence on cincinnati for employment etc,where smaller areas in kentucky have alot of dependence on cincy for health care,employment,services etc,even if those towns are geographically alot farther away.many living in rural counties adjacent to cincy, columbus etc have to commute there for employment,i think these definitions are based on a city being the area of dominant influence in a region,dayton is just too big and far enough away not to be like a baltimore/washington etc.
Can you imagine some of the outrage here if Dayton ended up combined with Columbus instead? I don't foresee that happening, but it would be extremely ironic.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
In some states, adding counties is the only way growth will take place.

Just for the record, I did live in an area 45 minutes southwest of Columbus at one point. Some of you might be familiar with the Walmart DC in Washington Court House; most of you may not. At any rate, I used to haul Walmart groceries out of that particular distribution center. Many of my routes took me as far south as Beckley West Virginia, as far west as Chicago, and PLENTY of Ohio runs. Just from my observations, Dayton and Cincinnati should be CSAs, but it seems as though Dayton is still considered a stand-alone city (which is fine too). I just find it a little funny that the urban lovers on this thread are actually complaining about how Cincinnati hasn't sprawled over into Dayton (enough to justify a Cin-Day CSA). And here I thought less sprawl was what the urban-nerds (like myself) truly wanted to see. I guess I was wrong...
Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metros were all growing as per the last few years, all without adding counties.

One thing I've noticed on this forum is that Cincinnati has more of a mix of attitudes regarding urbanity than Columbus or Cleveland. Some are very pro-urban, but there are also vocal suburbanites.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:15 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,151,021 times
Quote:
Some are very pro-urban, but there are also vocal suburbanites.
Judging by the decades long exodus from Hamilton county to exurban counties, I would say more suburban.
In that area's defense, many other areas have followed similar patterns including ones in OH.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,258,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Judging by the decades long exodus from Hamilton county to exurban counties, I would say more suburban.
In that area's defense, many other areas have followed similar patterns including ones in OH.
That's pretty much been the nationwide trend since the 50s as suburban development got started.

There is a very strong push back to the urban core in Cincinnati, and across the country as well. We will see how that pans out in the coming years.

Last edited by TomJones123; 03-13-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio