Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM

48 posts, read 84,449 times

Advertisements

We found a large house to rent in Cortland, but it is more then we wanted to pay. I need to know what our other household bills are going to cost to help us decide if we are going to take it or not. I need to know about cable, gas, water, internet etc. I know the electricity is going to depend on the size house etc and the owner is suppose to be providing us with that info. I just thought I would ask some of you since everyone on here has been so helpful and honest. I know its going to be a slower pace of life for us there then living in the DFW metroplex. I am hoping that means cheaper cost of living since we will be paying more for rent.
Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
Congratulations on finding a house. :-) It used to be you could call the utility companies and get costs, I believe. How relevant or accurate is another story. Maybe they won't give that info anymore due to privacy issues.

Clothing, shoes are not taxed at all in PA. Shop in PA, lol.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 04-08-2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
Is the house in Cortland or Bazetta Township (Bazetta has a Cortland zip code)? Your water bill will be different depending if you're in the city or not. I'm assuming it's a newer home if it's large. If it's in Bazetta Twp your water would come from Warren which gets their water from Mosquito Lake which is nearby. Cortland has it's own water.

Cable would be Time Warner. I don't have cable anymore, but when I did i bundled internet, digital cable/HD and a DVR box and it was around $130/month. I have TW internet now and it costs me around $50/month, but it was $35/month for the first year.

Gas shouldn't be too bad, the natural gas rates have dropped significantly the last few years. I live in a 1650 sq/ft condo built in 1992 and I haven't had a gas bill over $85 this year and I keep the thermostat on 68 or 70.

Cortland City send a water/sewer bill every 3 months and it costs me about $70 for both (so roughly $25/month). I'm the only one who lives in my house though. It would probably be significantly more w/7 people.

If you want to know any specifics about the neighborhood or if you want me to let you know if it's in the township or city you can private message me the street and I can fill you in.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
Also, FYI, sales tax in Trumbull County is 6.5%, which i probably much lower than what you pay in TX. Food is not taxable in Ohio, but pop (you'll have to get used to that, soda) is taxed. Pennsylvania doesn't tax food or clothing, so you might want to check out the Grove City Outlets in Pa for school shopping since they don't tax the clothes like Ohio does.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM

Wow!! So shocked about no tax on food...say what?!? Awesome!! Def will go into pa for clothes shopping. All the bills seen like they will be lower there. Yahoo!! We are not use to the cold tho and honestly we don't even own coats besides hoodies. Here in TX its flip flop weather almost all year long. Calling soda...pop
will def be something that we are not use to. Thanks for all the info :-)

Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
You will need coats, hats, boots, gloves, snow/ice scrapers for the cars, snow shovels and maybe long underwear(if your outside a lot). I would think your gas bills would be high the first winter since you are new to the cold. By the second winter you will be used to it. Some winters aren't that bad.

If you don't belong to AAA, think about joining. You are not used to driving in the snow. It's cheap. It also gives you a discount at many of the Grove City outlets. The school clothes discount will be more than enough to pay for the membership.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Great tips thinkalot!!! How warm do you keep your home in the winter? If you don't mind me asking ;-)

Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbridge View Post
Great tips thinkalot!!! How warm do you keep your home in the winter? If you don't mind me asking ;-)
When I lived in Ohio I always had it at 70. Lots of people lower it at night but I never did. Not a fan of blankets.

I never minded Ohio winters. It was the humid summers that I hated.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM

68F is probably a temp that most people can stand. Just tell the kids to bundle up. I wear sweatpants, socks, sweatshirt, and if it's cold and drafty, also a fleece jacket over the sweatshirt. But the electric was off in this house for almost 48 hours due that nice little microburst on Wednesday that felled trees and ripped the electric line off the house. The temp in the house dropped as low as 60F; mostly it stayed around 62F. I really had gotten used to it, which rather surprised me. (I'll remember that next winter, haha.) With the right clothing, it wasn't even bothering me. The house was just cold, not cold and drafty at the same time. If your house is drafty in winter, you might need to keep the thermostat at 68-70F to offset the wind chill from the drafts.

I am a fan of blankets, lol. I have sheet, waffle-weave cotton blanket, comforter, and in really cold weather, my cats' favorite fleece blanket is on top of that. I like a cool room for sleeping, and the weight of the blankets doesn't bother me at all.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 AM

https://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...rd-winter.html
^ might have some tips for you regarding winter, too. The past couple of winters have been pretty mild. Winter 2005-2006, I wondered if I had even moved back to PA, because there was no snow and it didn't even get very cold. 2008 and 2009 had some big snows and colder temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio