Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,100,455 times

Advertisements

I would imagine that the Northern half of Ohio supports the Indians, and the Southern half supports the Reds. Where does the central portion lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 PM

11,068 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Probably Reds, because they win sometimes.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,586,379 times
I would say the Reds because they have won more recently and are winning now. Not to mention the Toledo area probably supports the Tigers much more, though I could be wrong.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,910,431 times
The Reds, because they are better than the Whiny Birds.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
I would say the Reds have more fans throughout the central and southern part of the state.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I would imagine that the Northern half of Ohio supports the Indians, and the Southern half supports the Reds. Where does the central portion lie?
I grew up in Ohio and get back there a few times a year to visit.

Central Ohio used to be Reds country and the Indians were an afterthought. That seems to have changed after Jacobs Field, now Progressive Field, opened in Cleveland. The Indians boosted their marketing efforts and it's closer to an even split.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,100,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
The Reds, because they are better than the Whiny Birds.
Is that what you're calling the Cardinals now? lol...at least we've been winning WOrld Series lately...I personally despise the Reds as a Cardinals fan.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,904 times
I'm an Indians fan, but I have to say that the Reds have a larger following in the state for a number of reasons:
-They've been more successful, both historically and in recent seasons.
-NW Ohio seems largely split between Indians and Tigers fans.
-Cincinnati seems like more of a baseball town than Cleveland. I think Cleveland is a football town first and a baseball town second. I view Cincinnati as the opposite. The Bengals are a better team then the Browns, but they are still having games blacked out because they can't sell out the stadium. That doesn't happen in Cleveland.

The Reds have beat the Indians in average attendance the past three seasons. Last season, they averaged over 9,000 more fans a game than the Indians.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 PM

243 posts, read 452,882 times
Reds fan here, living near Dayton but I used to live in Toledo as well as other states.

My dad's an Indians fan, but he was raised in Akron.

I love going to games in Cinci. We usually park and walk over to Kentucky for Skyline or LaRosa's before the game. I like what Cincinnati's done with The Banks as well.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:44 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,165,333 times
In general, I don't know if Ohio is much of a baseball state. I know that seems like a weird statement since we are supposed to be the traditional "all-american state", but most of the people I know spend a lot more time following NCAA basketball and NFL football than MLB baseball.

I think baseball in Ohio is more about going to the game, grabbing a few beers and some ballpark food with friends, and having a good time more than who wins. Look at the Dayton Dragons as an example. Their record was awful last year, yet they are going into their 13th straight sold-out season this year. Why? Everyone loves the atmosphere of the game and really couldn't care less if the Dragons win or lose. They love the team, yes, but they love it because they know the game will be a good time, regardless of the outcome. I think the same is true of the Reds and the Indians.

So, my answer is neither. I have a healthy respect for both teams, and when the two play each other I always root for the Reds, because that's the team whose games I go to. If I was from Columbus, I doubt I would care either way - just get me some beer, a hot dog, and my friends, and regardless I'm happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio