Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM

14,724 posts, read 14,701,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
It also seems that with affluence comes homogeneity. Even if you have a bunch of different races and ethnicities, if a group is fairly affluent they are probably more alike than different.
Exactly, and if anything, economic diversity is more desirable for a city than ethnic diversity. If a city is unaffordable for working-class families or immigrants, or on the flip-side mostly qualor with few upscale neighborhoods, the color of its residents don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,383,399 times
what nationalities are foreign born in columbus that give it the % ? is it the mexicans,osu students? i just dont see or know of any euro feeling areas (bakeries,delis,butchers or nieghborhoods) in metro columbus in regards to hungarians, czechs,slovaks, italians,ukrainians, polish,serb,croats,etc,etc? it would be cool to check them out next trip to cbus.. btw over a 100 nationalities are represented and 81 langauges are spoken throughout our metro.. something that is found in only a handful of US cities.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,034,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
what nationalities are foreign born in columbus that give it the % ? is it the mexicans,osu students? i just dont see or know of any euro feeling areas (bakeries,delis,butchers or nieghborhoods) in metro columbus in regards to hungarians, czechs,slovaks, italians,ukrainians, polish,serb,croats,etc,etc? it would be cool to check them out next trip to cbus.. btw over a 100 nationalities are represented and 81 langauges are spoken throughout our metro.. something that is found in only a handful of US cities.
Agree with you fully, 1watertiger. Ain't nothing happening in Columbus that ain't also happening in the other "2-Cs." If anything in Cbus, it's OSU whose tail wags the dog--but ask any Cbus booster and they got explanations why that ain't so--just ask 'em (they're all gonna tell you anyway).

Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,912,872 times
^ Ain't nothing happening, sans growth.

Credit where credit is due.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:08 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,112,635 times
Quote:
Foreign-Born Area of Origin for Columbus Metro.
Asia: 39.1%
Latin America (including Mexico): 26.2%
Africa: 21.2%
Europe: 11.1%
Other: 2.4%

This compares to the other 2-Cs...

Cleveland
Europe: 46.2%
Asia: 32.7%
Latin America: 14.3%
Africa: 3.6%
Other: 3.2%

Cincinnati
Asia: 37.9%
Latin America: 23.7%
Europe: 22.5%
Africa: 12.0%
Other: 3.9%

If you want to break it down by country, be my guest. But I have to admit, Cleveland is definitely the whitest metro, point proven.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agree with you fully, 1watertiger. Ain't nothing happening in Columbus that ain't also happening in the other "2-Cs." If anything in Cbus, it's OSU whose tail wags the dog--but ask any Cbus booster and they got explanations why that ain't so--just ask 'em (they're all gonna tell you anyway).
Slam a city, and then make sure to set it up so any response to the contrary will just fit into your pre-determined definition of boosterism. That way, you guarantee that you don't have to actually answer any response honestly and you still get to troll with impunity. Bravo.

And I'm supposed to take you seriously?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,034,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
...And I'm supposed to take you seriously?
Whether you take me seriously or not isn't important; many other posters do. What's of concern is that you've anointed yourself the Supreme Arbiter of Commentary concerning Columbus.

Somehow, in your mind, all other forum members must pass their observations about Cbus past you for approval--and, if their remarks are negative, you either denigrate whatever they write, add your "corrections," overwhelm them with stats, label them as pathological or trollish, or threaten to report them. The sad thing about such misbehavior is that you don't recognize it for what it is.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,839,794 times
Quote:
Whether you take me seriously or not isn't important; many other posters do. What's of concern is that you've anointed yourself the Supreme Arbiter of Commentary concerning Columbus.

Somehow, in your mind, all other forum members must pass their observations about Cbus past you for approval--and, if their remarks are negative, you either denigrate whatever they write, add your "corrections," overwhelm them with stats, label them as pathological or trollish, or threaten to report them. The sad thing about such misbehavior is that you don't recognize it for what it is.
Sadly, this is fairly spot on, IMO.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I get why people don't like me and it's really not why you attempt to claim it is. First, I'm one of the very few regular posters who even talk about Columbus here. There maybe 2 or 3 more regulars, but you can't exactly argue against the fact that I probably post more about it than just about anyone else here. So that does bring more attention to me than others. Also, as has been said before, this is clearly a Cleveland/Cincinnati dominated forum, and it's become pretty obvious that the one thing that a lot of those posters, including you, do not like, is someone talking about the only Ohio city consistently doing well across the board. No matter how good you think your city is doing or how much you like it, my posts are a reminder that there's another city in the state doing better at certain things your cities are not. I have never believed Cincinnati/Cleveland are bad cities. I think they are way underrated and have incredible potential to make a great comeback. And I think the seeds for that are being planted right now with some of the development going on. But people seem to think all of my posts are a direct attack on them whether or not I even bring them up. I think people from those two cities have become spoiled in that they seem to have believed that at no point would a 3rd city ever threaten their collective dominance, and yet Columbus is encroaching on that position with each passing year. Instead of rooting for it to be successful, it's easier to tear it down, and you then attempt to call it a reasonable counter to me, as if I've been so over the top. Please. We've been over this before and whether or not people really want to admit that, there's a whole lot of truth in it. There's just really no other explanation for both the opinions of Columbus and the opinions of me posting about it. I have become the lightning rod for all that negativity for a city people love to hate because it is no longer clearly in 3rd place. It's silly to say that people have to approve their posts with me. People are allowed to post whatever they like, but I'm also allowed to disagree with those posts and use any resources available to do so. Maybe you should stop being dramatic and attacking me for daring to post about Columbus in an Ohio forum and just make better posts... you know, ones that are not trolling and have the makings of an actual discussion. You want to talk about Columbus' flaws, fine, let's do that in the forum. But I am going to expect a little more than your standard "Columbus sucks and is just sprawl" that passes for honest criticism here. Because let's be real, we all know what the real issue is, and it's not my posting style.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,678,388 times
Quote:
If you travel to the the "newer" post WWII areas of Columbus are immigrant havens now. You have many asians, indian asians, african immigrants, hispanic. The hispanic are mostly west side. African NE side. and NW side the asian/indian areas. Bethel Henderson roads are the commercial strips there and you have plazas with nothing but amazing ethnic food (NW SIDE) you also have lots of little plazas with Asian bakeries, tea shops, grocery stores where the locals hang out.

Columbus is one of those cities where its more "suburban" looking areas (mostly those built in the 60s to 90s) are now occupied with high foreign born populations. You don't get to see Columbus diversity in the central city (except the grad student types around OSU).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio