Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,110,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
thanks streetceed, next time we will visit and check out those areas for some food . jbcmh81, yes you take alot of heat trying to bolster cbus.. but cbus to many people from older cities or from cities with many different nationality groups will seem like "white bread". the 3-cs are very different and opinions will vary.. yes columbus is gaining population but the area is still small and the infrastructure (freeways,streets,etc) only solidify this imo. yes i think cleveland is head and shoulders above cbus. when i visit and travel around cincy i see (reality) how much bigger cincy is over cbus also. thats just a fact.
Columbus is a more compact metro, there's no doubt about that. I'm not sure how that is a negative though. This just suggests more people in smaller area, considering there's less than a 200K difference between all 3 metro populations and how Columbus ends up with the most dense Urban Area.

And if Columbus is "white bread", people clearly like white bread. I think that is a grossly unfair statement and oversimplifies what attracts people there, but this does seem par for the course of how people view the city on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,499,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Columbus is a more compact metro, there's no doubt about that. I'm not sure how that is a negative though. This just suggests more people in smaller area, considering there's less than a 200K difference between all 3 metro populations and how Columbus ends up with the most dense Urban Area.

And if Columbus is "white bread", people clearly like white bread. I think that is a grossly unfair statement and oversimplifies what attracts people there, but this does seem par for the course of how people view the city on this forum.
So misleading. I mean, the Cleveland MSA includes massive metroparks and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that separate two cities. I'm sorry but priding Columbus on not having cool stuff like that, so you can brag about it being 3 people per square mile denser is kinda trivial. Let's tell all sides of the story here.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:23 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,383,036 times
^ never said anything about a "negative" jbcmh81. but i do want to correct you, columbus has a density of about 3300/sq.mile vs 5100/sq mile in cleveland. but so what... how many people live in the 15 counties in central ohio vs the 13 counties of NE Ohio? isnt it something like 3mil to 5mil? yes cleveland and cuyahoga is still loosing population but NE Ohio has stablized, finally. and our growth in the downtown and sprawl into the other counties continues to grow. jbcmh81, its not like cleveland doesnt. continue to build,grow and sprawl outwards. next time you come back to visit ohio come to cleveland and visit. hangout in downtown,tremont or ohio city. take a rapid over to little italy and university circle and visit the highest concentration of learning/cultural institutions in the country within a sq.mile and report your experiences. im sure you will enjoy our city.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Your numbers don't make any sense. Cleveland by far is the most diverse CSA/MSA of the 3-Cs. It is not the whitest metro. Take a look at the demographic breakdown in each county in the Cleveland CSA (or MSA) , and then tell everyone that Cleveland is the whitest metro. You are not making any sense!!!
Here are the official census figures for metro areas. The ones I used the other day were census estimates, so this time I'll use the 2010 numbers. Calling Cleveland the Whitest metro, btw, was tongue-in-cheek and referring to foreign-born, which Cleveland does have the largest White foreign-born population.

In any case, a very easy way to tell what would be the Whitest metro in the state would just go by the total non-white population.

Total Non-White Metro Population in 2010
1. Cleveland: 538,858
2. Columbus: 412,940
3. Cincinnati: 363,706
4. Dayton: 168,596
5. Toledo: 127,633
6. Akron: 117,777
7. Youngstown: 80,922

% of population that was not White in 2010.

1. Cleveland: 25.9%
2. Columbus: 22.5%
3. Dayton: 20.0%
4. Toledo: 19.6%
5. Akron: 16.7%
6. Cincinnati: 15.4%
7. Youngstown: 14.3%

Total Non-White Population in 2000
1. Cleveland: 545,560
2. Columbus: 304,776
3. Cincinnati: 303,573
4. Dayton: 157,492
5. Toledo: 125,422
6. Akron: 101,385
7. Youngstown: 84,685

% of metro population that was not White in 2000

1. Cleveland: 25.4%
2. Toledo: 19.0%
3. Columbus: 18.9%
4. Dayton: 18.6%
5. Cincinnati: 15.1%
6. Akron: 14.6%
7. Youngstown: 14.0%

Total Non-White Population Change 2000-2010

1. Columbus: +108,164
2. Cincinnati: +60,133
3. Akron: +16,392
4. Dayton: +11,104
5. Toledo: +2,211
6. Youngstown: -3,763
7. Cleveland: -6,702

% Change 2000-2010

1. Columbus: +35.5%
2. Cincinnati: +19.8%
3. Akron: +16.2%
4. Dayton: +7.1%
5. Toledo: +1.8%
6. Cleveland: -1.2%
7. Youngstown: -4.4%

So there you have it. I proved for you that Cleveland is indeed the least White metro of the 7 major state metro areas... for now.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:47 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,383,036 times
also, we have suburban sprawl also jbcmh81. every city does. but cbus is mostly suburban sprawl, its a newer type of city. fyi, buckeye lake is about the same distance from dt cbus as mentor (far east suburb) is from dt cleveland. thats what i mean by cbus being a much smaller metro area. i think that might be why everyone gets on your case when you try to compare cbus to the other 2 c's and say its approuching their size and stature?

Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
also, we have suburban sprawl also jbcmh81. every city does. but cbus is mostly suburban sprawl, its a newer type of city. fyi, buckeye lake is about the same distance from dt cbus as mentor (far east suburb) is from dt cleveland. thats what i mean by cbus being a much smaller metro area. i think that might be why everyone gets on your case when you try to compare cbus to the other 2 c's and say its approuching their size and stature?
Columbus doesn't have the highest sprawl of the 3-Cs. Cincinnati does. Cleveland the lowest. And Columbus doesn't have sprawl even approaching the levels of your average Sun Belt city. That's why I don't get the focus on this for Columbus. It's not even Ohio's worst offender. And again, what's kind of ironic is that the continuous built environment in Columbus, or the Urban Area, is the most dense of the 3-Cs. That just could not happen if the majority of the city's development was very low density sprawl. Getting out into Delaware County, sure. It's basically all sprawl, but that's a different story.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
So misleading. I mean, the Cleveland MSA includes massive metroparks and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that separate two cities. I'm sorry but priding Columbus on not having cool stuff like that, so you can brag about it being 3 people per square mile denser is kinda trivial. Let's tell all sides of the story here.
You can call it misleading and unfair all you want, but I don't set the standards for this stuff. I repeat them. Why does it always seem like you guys think I just make stuff up? And the Urban Area is continuous built environment. It's not like the metro area where you might get lower numbers for including large areas of green space or water.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
^ never said anything about a "negative" jbcmh81. but i do want to correct you, columbus has a density of about 3300/sq.mile vs 5100/sq mile in cleveland. but so what... how many people live in the 15 counties in central ohio vs the 13 counties of NE Ohio? isnt it something like 3mil to 5mil? yes cleveland and cuyahoga is still loosing population but NE Ohio has stablized, finally. and our growth in the downtown and sprawl into the other counties continues to grow. jbcmh81, its not like cleveland doesnt. continue to build,grow and sprawl outwards. next time you come back to visit ohio come to cleveland and visit. hangout in downtown,tremont or ohio city. take a rapid over to little italy and university circle and visit the highest concentration of learning/cultural institutions in the country within a sq.mile and report your experiences. im sure you will enjoy our city.
You're quoting city density numbers (Columbus' is just over 3,600, not 3,300, btw). I was talking about the Urban Area designation, which is different than city or metro area.

All recent estimates and census numbers show that the CSA, MSA and city all lost population through 2012, so where is that growth occurring? Yes, Cleveland's downtown is doing very well in its recovery, and some of the urban places and suburban counties are seeing growth as well... but overall, it's still down across the board. I wish that wasn't true, but it is. I'm not saying this makes Cleveland a bad place, it's not, but this is still something that's happening.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:15 AM

324 posts, read 403,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Are you saying that because you believe it to be true or because you can prove it?
OK, let's use a little common sense here, which is something you apparently lack. Let's compare Cuyahoga and Franklin counties. Do you really believe that Cuyahoga County is whiter than Franklin County? If you look at some of the counties adjacent to Cuyahoga County, they are not as white as the ones adjacent to Franklin County. For example, Lorain and Summit counties are around 80% white, whereas all of the counties adjacent to Franklin County are at least 90% white. The counties around Cincinnati are at least 90% white. So when you say that Cleveland is the whitest metro of the 3-Cs, you just prove once again that you don't know what you're talking about!!!

Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Here are the Urban Area maps for the 3-Cs.

Cleveland
http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc10...C10UA17668.pdf

Cincinnati
http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc10...C10UA16885.pdf

Columbus
http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc10...C10UA19234.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio