Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
BTW, this should be a nice weekend in Youngstown.

Is anyone here going to the Youngstown Jazz Fest?

Or, how about the YSU Summer Festival of the Arts?

Maybe Tour of the Valley?

In addition to these special events, there is also the North Side Farmers' Market on Saturday morning, and the usual selection of shows at Cedars, Lemon Grove, etc. on Friday and Saturday nights. (And that's certainly not a comprehensive list of things going on.)

Me? I'm content to work on the continued restoration of my project house.

Thank you! All good ideas!

"I like a man who takes pride in the place that he calls home"
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 PM

498 posts, read 1,508,584 times
have fun attempting to do those things during october in youngstown.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:42 PM

5,512 posts, read 9,502,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
have fun attempting to do those things during october in youngstown.
Yes, October has its own events.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,584 times
harvest time for those large pumpkins should be here soon. adult kickball might still be kicking. maybe finish it off with some high school football to live vicariously through children.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 AM

The B&O Night Market is having a harvest fest tomorrow @ 5. Wish I could go to this tomorrow evening, but I'm preparing to move to the north side, and don't have time.

From their event page:
Quote:
For the Harvest Fest we will have pumpkins (carving and pie), winter squash, and
cider....

We will have Tarot by Dustin on site for personalized tarot
readings.

The Mahoning Valley Historical Society will be
represented by Bill Lawson conjuring up historic ghost tales around the
fire.

Hot cider available in the bar, spiced or spiked or both!

Let's have a spooky and delightful time!
If anyone is interested, it's at the old B&O station, 530 Mahoning Avenue, Youngstown.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
I have not been there since the mid 1990s when I would take a greyhound bus through there back to college. I remember a bombed out rust belt town filled with abandoned strip malls with weeds growing up through cracked parking lots.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I have not been there since the mid 1990s when I would take a greyhound bus through there back to college. I remember a bombed out rust belt town filled with abandoned strip malls with weeds growing up through cracked parking lots.
Well, //www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...-pictures.html

Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Here's another event I definitely hope to attend later this month:

Phantom of the Opera w/ Todd Wilson

Silent film accompanied by organist, Todd Wilson.

Described by the Chicago Tribune as "one of the most supremely gifted organists of his generation," Featuring organist, Todd Wilson will provide live accompaniment to the original silent film version of “The Phantom of the Opera.” Wilson is head of the Organ Department at The Cleveland Institute of Music and Curator of the E.M. Skinner pipe organ at Severance Hall in Cleveland, Ohio.

Stambaugh Auditorium > Events > October

Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,413 times
Toledo - lots of political corruption as of 2010. Youngstown? On it's way up?
Perhaps, but if I were you I would continue to head south and east... look for a state with a Republican governor and Republican legislature. This country (the USA) is in for some rocky times ahead...

One poster complained that Ohio had earthquakes caused by fracking. Not true. Ohio -- especially by the lake -- has had earthquakes for many years, mostly tremors and so forth.
Your friend's mom is right. The Catholic schools in Ohio historically had fine graduates. In Youngstown it seemed the Catholic schools were packed to capacity for decades and then things changed -- when the economy went south, well, the schools enrollments declined precipitously. Many people moved on....
For those that stayed longer, Ohio sends many kids to in-state colleges and universities. Problem is, after college, then what? A few years ago the Cleveland Plain Dealer did a series on Ohio's "brain drain" as many college grads leave the state within 2 years of graduation.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,413 times
Default Youngstown's Revival

The media likes to talk about how Y'twn is being revived, but 9 bars/nightcubs do not a revival make! Except for half-filled clubs, and overpriced Arab-owned convenience stores, there is little else in downtown Youngstown.
What we need is an Aldis & Save-A-Lot. Those would serve the people, increase the tax base, and encourage other stores to open, besides 9 bars and a tatoo parlor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio