Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM

174 posts, read 503,981 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I was hearing about Youngstown was part of the "future" for the rust belt, a model for how cities can come back. From what I was hearing at the time it is a model for cities like Flint and Saginaw to follow, even Detroit (although Detroit is a much bigger problem to tackle). Looking at the stats it is still pretty bad but it seems the general trajectory is a positive one. Unemployment spiked in the recession but not as much as other places (since it was already fairly hollowed out) and no housing crisis, crime seems on a trajectory downward.

There were tech companies opening and actually manufacturing plants coming in. A recent look at unemployment stats shows the same downward trajectory. The metro is actually below the national average a couple ticks, but a tick above OH average.

So is Youngstown still on a good path?

Or is it all hype at the end of the day?

To me it seems like a bright spot in the rust belt and a model for smaller blighted cities like Flint and Saginaw as well as larger ones like Cleveland and Detroit.

Going through other websites there are actually people praising Youngstown's direction. but I hear an almost universal disgust with places like Toledo. Something must actually be happening there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 PM

34 posts, read 78,048 times
Trust me its getting better, guess you would have to visit to know the difference. So to answer your question yes Youngstown is still on a good path, just taking alot of time. I was downtown lastnight (havnt been in months) and its was great fun.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:05 PM

5,514 posts, read 9,512,813 times
Yes, as Steelers626 said, the progress is slow, but still happening. The problem is that the city is doing a poor job of following through with its 2010 plan. Also, the city planner resigned in 2009, and the position has been vacant since. Only recently has council agreed to contract with a planning firm to take his place.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:07 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,409,168 times
Yes it's getting better

BUT

You have to consider that the city was so low...mind-boggling low...that it's hard to go crazy with praise.

Average income: 15K per year
Bachelors: 10%
Arson Rate: highest in nation
Crime Rate: down but still twice the national average
Unemployment: 9.7% (3rd highest in state)

The schools are still horrible and there is no tax base.

As crazy as it sounds the collapse of the mills is nearly secondary to the length of complete despair that hurt the city. Many kids born at the end of the glory years (1970s) have never known a vibrant Youngstown.

The troubling thing about the uptick in the overall picture is that the residents themselves seem to be last in reaping the progress.

Until poverty and education are rectified I suspect this will continue to be the case.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:37 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,924,094 times
I'll just say as a very recent first time visitor to the area I thought it really was a fine little city- a little down on the ropes but had some great architecture, beautiful park lands and seemed like it still had some potential for a turnaround. I was privileged to tour the new massive steel mill (owned by the French) and the museums in the area were first rate. As for focusing its future as a college town/industrial arts center I wish it all the success.

I've heard all about its reputation for years as the Detroit of Ohio, but I ignored it all and saw a city with an illustrious history and still striving for the future. Our host, my traveling buddy's mother, was a teacher in a catholic school there for 30 years and did say the public schools, or rather the kids and their completely unsupportive parents still sucked there- but I still saw a dynamic little city trying to find itself again.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 PM

498 posts, read 1,509,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
So is Youngstown still on a good path?

Or is it all hype at the end of the day?
all hype at the end of the day. that plan, youngstown 2010, sputtered. there are still no jobs, plenty of crime in the city, and nothing to do other adult kickball or grow large pumpkins. indicators may be barely pointing up, but from what? a city as broken down as gary, indiana or niagra falls, new york. in the words of author progressive author chris hedges in 2010, "Youngstown, like many postindustrial pockets in America, is a deserted wreck plagued by crime and the attendant psychological and criminal problems that come when communities physically break down."

this place still sucks offline. the difference between the offline reality and online is that there is a group of boosters downtown that are content with having their efforts consist of writing on message boards, writing blogs, or posting facebook status updates about how they went to a bar downtown or bought something at a gift shop.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,840,599 times
Always nice to hear from you, 000000. :-) You forgot to mention some recent news:
Quote:
...as many as 45 percent of Youngstown’s drivers are unlicensed and uninsured
No. 1 crime in city about to cost you more money - The News Outlet and the random gunfire in neighborhoods after dark. And the 3-year-old who fatally shot himself. Youngstown News, UPDATE | Police say 3-year-old fatally shot himself

Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Always nice to hear from you, 000000. :-) You forgot to mention some recent news: No. 1 crime in city about to cost you more money - The News Outlet and the random gunfire in neighborhoods after dark. And the 3-year-old who fatally shot himself. Youngstown News, UPDATE | Police say 3-year-old fatally shot himself
I spend a lot of time in 2 neighborhoods--one on the lower west side and one on the north side--and this hasn't been an issue for me.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM

BTW, this should be a nice weekend in Youngstown.

Is anyone here going to the Youngstown Jazz Fest?

Or, how about the YSU Summer Festival of the Arts?

Maybe Tour of the Valley?

In addition to these special events, there is also the North Side Farmers' Market on Saturday morning, and the usual selection of shows at Cedars, Lemon Grove, etc. on Friday and Saturday nights. (And that's certainly not a comprehensive list of things going on.)

Me? I'm content to work on the continued restoration of my project house.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 PM

498 posts, read 1,509,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Always nice to hear from you, 000000. :-) You forgot to mention some recent news: No. 1 crime in city about to cost you more money - The News Outlet and the random gunfire in neighborhoods after dark. And the 3-year-old who fatally shot himself. Youngstown News, UPDATE | Police say 3-year-old fatally shot himself
back at you, sorryimovedback.

that was really sad about the 3 year old. so to was the 12 year old who was beat to death and the guy made the victim's brother clean it up. some real quality neighbors in the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio