Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 AM

48 posts, read 84,634 times

Advertisements

I'm new to cold weather and i'm trying to get an early start buying since we have nothing. I was wondering if you guys could tell me where the best shopping is for winter coats, boot etc. Not sure of all the stuff we will need, but as of now we only have tank tops and flip flops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am buying for 5 kids so I need to start now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM

912 posts, read 1,736,227 times
Any department store will have everything you need, although you'll probably have to wait a month or so for it all to be out.

Since you have five kids and are probably on a budget, I'd suggest Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Old Navy and Burlington.

As for what to get, I'd start with a lighter North Face/Columbia-type jacket, a heavier winter coat, a couple hoodies/sweatshirts, hat, gloves and maybe a pair of boots.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM

8,284 posts, read 8,688,521 times
I would talk to your kids friends parents. Find out what the other kids wear.

I always like Grove City Outlets when I had to buy a lot of clothes. The outlets in Aurora are ok too, but not as many stores.

You will need fall clothes too. It's not the same as winter clothes.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,174,182 times
Also look into Once Upon A Child. They have locations throughout Ohio.

They sell gently used (their purchase requirements for merchandise are stringent) clothing. A lot of winter stuff is probably in stock now.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:17 PM

48 posts, read 84,634 times
Thanks, I'll check it all out.

Whats the difference between fall and winter clothes?

We just moved here the beginning of June and unfortunately my kids haven't made friends yet.

I am finding out that it is WAY more expensive to love in cold weather then hot!!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM

8,284 posts, read 8,688,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbridge View Post
Thanks, I'll check it all out.

Whats the difference between fall and winter clothes?

We just moved here the beginning of June and unfortunately my kids haven't made friends yet.

I am finding out that it is WAY more expensive to love in cold weather then hot!!
You don't wear the same jacket at 40 degrees that you wear at 5 degrees. Shirts would be different, flannel in winter but not in the fall. Thermal underwear if outdoors a lot in winter. Hats would be different if you wear hats in fall, some do some don't. Pants would be the same for both seasons.

Depending on the children's ages you may want to check out snow suits. I am sure they will want to be out in the snow their first winter.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,631,952 times
Our temperatures can swing from 90 degrees to -10 degrees (although teens and 20s is more normal in January).

This means maintaining winter clothing, spring/fall clothing, and summer clothing.

It is not unusual to start out at 33 degrees in the morning and be up to 80 degrees by 4:00 pm. Layering is key in the transitional seasons. As mentioned, a light wind breaker, a hoodie, a thermo-lined hoodie, and a parka won't be out of place in the closet.

I wear a thermo-lined hoodie with a waterproof down vest during much of the winter. I switch to a parka if I'm going to be standing at a bus stop with temps in the teens. It's hard to drive in a heavy parka and it's possible to overheat in the stores, so the other combination works for me, and I can leave the vest in the car when I go to the mall.

Walmart and Target will also have winter clothing. It's just not time, yet, probably about 3 more weeks for fall clothing. The heavier stuff will start coming in about mid-September or so.

If female, don't miss the silk thermo underwear that Target will start getting in about October or so. It's great! It adds warmth without bulk. All of the sporting goods stores will also carry lighter weights for long undies for all family members. Don't knock it if you haven't tired a set. That extra layer can mean all the difference if one is commuting by bus or working in a drafty office.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,951,072 times
How are you liking your rental so far? How's the neighborhood?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,580,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbridge View Post
I'm new to cold weather and i'm trying to get an early start buying since we have nothing. I was wondering if you guys could tell me where the best shopping is for winter coats, boot etc. Not sure of all the stuff we will need, but as of now we only have tank tops and flip flops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am buying for 5 kids so I need to start now

I'm guessing that you are moving from a warm climate. With five kids, for the best quality and lowest prices, you might want to look at Burlington Coat Factory.

It's not just coats.

Good brands and good quality intermingled with some average to sub par quality clothes.

Old Navy is inexpensive but the quality is "iffy".

Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,028,481 times
For adults, I highly recommend buying quality winter gear. The stuff that will last year after year and be completely functional. You won't regret it. So, brands that REI or Dick's carries (and, you can find good closeout deals online at Sierra Trading Post). You may spend a lot on a winter coat, but if it is a combo coat that is functional for both fall and winter, plus high quality, you only have to invest once every so many years. Same with boots, gloves and hats.

For kids - Start hitting Craigslist, Once Upon Child, garage sales, etc.

Fall items: sweatshirts, long pants, hats, light gloves, under layers (long sleeve t-shirts, thermal base layers), lighter "shell" type coat. Something that keeps rain out but not necessarily super warm.

Winter items: Heavier coat, boots, warm socks (think SmartWool for function and durability - your kids can pass them down as hand me downs as they grow).

The more function you can pack into an items, the better purchase it is. So, if you pick up a Columbia coat that has the liner and zip in shell, that will have more overall function for multiple seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio