Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 07:06 AM

131 posts, read 360,829 times

Advertisements

hello all ,

i am thinking of relocating to Ohio. i was hoping someone would point me in the right direction.

good schools

strong job market (construction)

low crime and taxes

rural area (a home with some land)

how is the weather? alot of humidity/real cold

i was told Ohio gets a lot of ice storms is this true?

thanks for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,649,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySkreenName01 View Post
hello all ,

i am thinking of relocating to Ohio. i was hoping someone would point me in the right direction.

good schools

strong job market (construction)

low crime and taxes

rural area (a home with some land)

how is the weather? alot of humidity/real cold

i was told Ohio gets a lot of ice storms is this true?

thanks for your help...
that sounds like pretty much ALL of ohio to me. i lived in cinti for a long time and there were alot of ice storms in the winter. im thinking it has something to do with being so far south but at the same time north enough for snow so you get an icy mixture. horrible to drive in. i dont think ohio in general is that humid compared to other u.s. cities. there's alot of land out there!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
To answer your questions:

good schools -- yes, if you generally look to the suburban regions of the large cities (Cinci, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo). I lived in suburban Dayton for many years along I675 and the schools there (Centerville, Beavercreek, Kettering) are EXCELLENT. I had 4 kids grad from the area.

strong job market (construction) -- semi to fairly strong housing construction in the SW Ohio and central Ohio regions. Bad up north (Toledo/Cleveland)...toledo is impacted similarly to Detroit economy-wise.

low crime and taxes -- again stay to suburban regions. Ohio cities are fairly large and crowded, but they are in general very nice cities. However, they are in general experiencing some urban decay.

rural area (a home with some land) -- SW Ohio is great for this. Look into the areas surrounding Dayton or Columbus (Central Ohio).

how is the weather? alot of humidity/real cold -- yes, gets hot and humid here. Not really any different than other midwest areas.

i was told Ohio gets a lot of ice storms is this true? Yes in southern Ohio because it is somewhat transitional. Lakefront area expect heavy snow near Toledo or Cleveland.

I've lived somehwere in western Ohio nearly all my life. Am now located in Columbus. Honestly...Ohio is a good place to live. Even if you are living in a rural region, you generally only have at most an hours' drive to get to a city of any size for shopping or entertainment. We have a good employment rate overall. But I do caution if you are interested in school districts to look very hard at the suburban school districts and compare them to the urban schools. You will see an amazing difference. Suburban schools in southern/central Ohio are excellent!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:38 PM

131 posts, read 360,829 times
thanks keys & nicolepsy

what do you think about hocking county?
is that some where that would fit what I'm looking for?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM

57 posts, read 263,691 times
Hocking County is great if you think ice storms get even better with curvy, hilly roads.

Actually, I've taught students from Logan before and they had good things to say about it. Not sure about the more rural s.d.'s though. It's beautiful in the fall, and a main destination for weekend trips with all of the state parks around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio