Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,910,183 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh is much more interesting than Indy. For that reason, I think Pitt+Cleve is better than Cbus+Indy (snore) or Cincy+Indy.

Pitt+Cincy would be a stellar combo, and it would be fun to compare/contrast those two historic river cities. Pitt isn't far off 70, so it's worth considering. For greatest variety: Pitt+Cbus, Pitt+Indy, or Cincy+Indy.

If I were forced to make comparisons between cities you've lived and Ohio cities, they'd go:
Cleveland-Philly -- both have a strong blue-collar feel to them
Cbus-Orlando -- Cbus has a sun belt feel to it
Cincy-Bmore -- Cincy has lots of rowhouses in the urban core, which the other Ohio cities don't have, and both Cincy and Baltimore are southern-influenced northern cities.

In terms of vibrancy, I don't think such comparisons work, nor am I familiar with the current state of all those cities. In one night out, I think the difference in vibrancy among the 3Cs will be negligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,057,156 times
I have limited experience in Cleveland-- been there several times for business but never really spent that much time there. Between Cincy and Columbus, I spent 5 years in both, I think I'd choose Columbus for a one-night stand. Both towns are great; Cincinnati has more character, history, cooler architecture and sophistication, but Columbus is superior on nightlife, energy and social scene. Maybe its the fact that OSU concentrates so many young people in one area. I'd go with a night of bar hopping in the Arena District and meander my way up through the Short North.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Pitt + Cle is definitely your better option. Even if you are of the mind that Columbus and Cincinnati is awesome, given OPs choices, can any honest Ohioan really recommend that you should go to Indianapolis?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Pitt + Cle is definitely your better option. Even if you are of the mind that Columbus and Cincinnati is awesome, given OPs choices, can any honest Ohioan really recommend that you should go to Indianapolis?
Nope, they cannot. You are correct, sir.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:54 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Pittsburgh is much more interesting than Indy. For that reason, I think Pitt+Cleve is better than Cbus+Indy (snore) or Cincy+Indy.

Pitt+Cincy would be a stellar combo, and it would be fun to compare/contrast those two historic river cities. Pitt isn't far off 70, so it's worth considering. For greatest variety: Pitt+Cbus, Pitt+Indy, or Cincy+Indy.

If I were forced to make comparisons between cities you've lived and Ohio cities, they'd go:
Cleveland-Philly -- both have a strong blue-collar feel to them
Cbus-Orlando -- Cbus has a sun belt feel to it
Cincy-Bmore -- Cincy has lots of rowhouses in the urban core, which the other Ohio cities don't have, and both Cincy and Baltimore are southern-influenced northern cities.

In terms of vibrancy, I don't think such comparisons work, nor am I familiar with the current state of all those cities. In one night out, I think the difference in vibrancy among the 3Cs will be negligible.
While Columbus has a few Sun Belt elements to it, in absolutely no way does it resemble Orlando. It has about half Columbus' density and doesn't really have any significant level of historic core neighborhoods, at least nothing like German Village, Olde Towne, IV, VV, etc. Austin would probably be a closer match, and even then, that's stretching it.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 11-02-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
LOL
I love the how passionate Ohio residents are about their state. You can't even contain this level of passion in other states of the USA.
This is a rarity I have never witnessed in DC before...

Meh. I'm not too concerned about logistics as I am about experience.
I want to experience what Ohio is all about so I can have a few good reasons to live there or return for an actual vacation...

#1 gives me the option of seeing Cleveland + Pittsburgh
#2 gives me the option of seeing Columbus or Cincinnati + Indianapolis

Ohio is the midway state for me, so I'm looking for an eye opening experience...
Glad to see that you're alive and well, and still involved in this contentious thread...

No matter which route you choose to "experience" Ohio's "3-C's," you'll pick a qualified winner--but mainly in one-night entertainment value only. (your choice) Otherwise, Ohio's three major cities are significantly different--and anyone who tells you differently is just expounding BS, for these three cities are topographically, aesthetically, and culturally different, other than to a deaf, dumb, and blind boy like "Tommy."

In Cincinnati's behalf--this beautiful city doesn't beg for you to like it; if you don't, your own alternative is perfectly acceptable. But if you ask, Queen City boosters will tell you (and tell you with delight) that Cincinnati's a world apart from its other two Ohio counterparts.

For just one example... Nowhere else in Ohio will you experience anything like Mt. Adams. (Its detractors say yes; I say no!) I've been there and enjoyed Mt. Adams all my adult life/they haven't and neither have you. So choose for yourself your own personal Ohio pleasure; I'm not going to ask anymore of you than that.

Today, Mt. Adams isn't so really all that different than it was way back then--in 1964. This magical hilltop enclave's still very much a magnet for the young at heart, but Cincinnati, itself, is much more than than all all this. . However, this entire, venerable, beautiful city is much more inclusive it once was . Nobody's begging you to decide anything, but only to take a genuine "look/ see." (Your call...)

Last edited by motorman; 11-03-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
While Columbus has a few Sun Belt elements to it, in absolutely no way does it resemble Orlando. It has about half Columbus' density and doesn't really have any significant level of historic core neighborhoods, at least nothing like German Village, Olde Towne, IV, VV, etc. Austin would probably be a closer match, and even then, that's stretching it.
I thought I was making it clear that all those comparisons were a stretch when I said "If I were forced to make comparisons between cities you've lived and Ohio cities..."

Austin isn't on the list of cities where OP has lived, or I might have chosen it. I agree that Columbus has more in common with Austin than Orlando, for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio