Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,921 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Ohio sometime, though when I'm not sure because I'm still figuring some things out. I chose Ohio because I would already have a support system in place since I have friends near Canton and Zanesville. I'd like to move somewhere within an hour of the Canton area. I'm looking for an agricultural area where I can have a small farm/garden, but where the cost of living is decent. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 AM

498 posts, read 1,509,119 times
avoid youngstown.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 AM

5,513 posts, read 9,508,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
avoid youngstown.
Read their post again. They are looking for a rural area near Canton.

To the OP, I'd recommend looking in southern and western Stark County. There are lots of small towns and villages with plenty of pretty countryside (IMO) in between. As you head north, the Canton/Massillon suburbs kind of blend into the Akron suburbs.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 AM

498 posts, read 1,509,119 times
someone else could have at least tried to answer OP's question. as is, my response is good advice.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 AM

5,513 posts, read 9,508,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
someone else could have at least tried to answer OP's question. as is, my response is good advice.
If you say so.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,921 times
I'm mainly just wanting to make sure it will be legal to have my show rabbits and my dogs/cats that I currently have on location. I don't want a city ordinance saying I can only have three dogs or something. I'm moving with 5 dogs and my cat. I won't get other pets, but I don't want to have to get rid of the ones I have.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,170,881 times
Hi lilchris28,

Your requirements are very broad, so I'd imagine you could live almost anywhere in that area.

Anything to help us narrow it some? A budget? House requirements (beds/baths/acres/new or with character, etc.)? Amenities you like to have close? A job location/commute distance?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,625,073 times
lilchris28, I read your post in the moving forum. I don't know which cities have a branch of the school you're attending, but I'm going to recommend Mansfield to you if you absolutely have your heart set on moving before you graduate. It's about an hour west of Canton.

Why?

1. There's a Petsmart there (where you're working)
2. There are several colleges in the area, including the Ohio State - Mansfield campus
3. Mansfield is large enough to have a few career opportunities in your field. However, Columbus (an hour and change south) will have a lot more, but rents in Mansfield will be more affordable on a shoe-string budget.
4. All of your animals . . . it's going to be very difficult to find a rental with that many animals but you may have somewhat of a shot in that area if you can live with a farm family (maybe in exchange for some help?) or at least out of town a bit. Outside of the city is quite rural.

As your friends will tell you, the economy in Canton is not that good. Actually, Columbus is the bright spot in the state right now, but it's not an inexpensive area, at all. If you can work and attend school there, Mansfield might be a good compromise.

Now, one other suggestion: Look at the City of Findlay. It's along I-75 in NW Ohio. There is higher education there. Outside of the city is rural, but in the city there would be more opportunities for work in your major. It's far from Canton, but rents are reasonable and you might be able to find somewhere you can have the animals.

I lived in Findlay during the 1990s, and I recommend that area to a single lady over Mansfield-Canton. There is a larger percentage of working men, should you want to date, and just a better economy overall, although keep in mind that few places outside of Columbus are doing all that well right now. That might turn around before long.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio