Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 06:36 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Yes, it would be nice if both political conventions would be held in Ohio, but this probably won't happen.

First of all, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves by claiming victory for CLE quite yet.

Yes, CLE was left standing (!) in this 2nd GOP elimination, but then comes the next round--and the inner dynamics of these political feeding-frenzies are not going to be revealed to the general public. Yes, unlike Cincy, CLE came on both early, strong, and committed with some serious $$$ combined with some serious CBD amenities. In contrast, from the very beginning, any politico in Cincy understood what was happening--but lips were sealed and commitments made in secret.

For "public consumption," Cincinnati bowed out of RNC consideration because of one well-known, aged arena on the river, but, believe me, this wasn't the real reason at all...

(The real reason was that John F. Barrett, the powerful oligarch of both W&S Life and right-wing Queen City politics--overstepped even his well-heeled friends' boundaries in his self-serving push to bring the GOP to Cincy to serve his own purposes, namely in his promotion of a "W&S financial district," centered on and around a renovated Anna Louis Inn.)

In short, Barrett's many ultra-wealthy Cincy connections (read in: Indian Hill) told him, point blank, that they and their families were simply not going to squander millions of dollars on a lost cause--namely because the Hillary Clinton juggernaut will undoubtedly steamroll the GOP in 2016. So, unlike John Barrett's personal agenda for GOP visitations into his own financial 4th St sanction/playground, Cincy's right-wing "creme de la creme" reserved their $$$ in for better times than 2016. (And, lest anyone forget, John Barrett and other well-known Cincy corporate chieftains, said nothing in support of the new streetcar or of any development in OTR. Hypocrites, all!)

And, as for Columbus, I needn't comment (hopefully others will). But neither Cbus nor Cincy are racing to claim the DNC 2016 convention--nor should they, for reasons both apparent and divergent...and for anyone in CLE to hope that their city will claim BOTH the RNC and DNC's...well, let me know what you guys' are smokin' up there...namely because it's gotta be some good stuff! (Later, Ohio dudes...)
Here we go...No one is claiming CLE victory for the RNC and certainly not both it and DNC. I know COL is trying to get the DNC; but how can COL overcome the same obstacles that got it the boot from the RNC list? Sorry, but the deal killer for Cinci was its arena and no streetcar line was going to clinch the deal either. Why didn't you mention all this Cinci ''insider'' business prior to Cinci bowing out from the competition? You should have called this before Cinci collapsed in the competition.
Btw, I hope Philly gets the 2016 DNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:20 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

It's too bad Cincinnati withdrew their bid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You obviously are not understanding. Cincinnati withdrew its bid.
I said that.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The GOP would pick Cincinnati over Cleveland any day even if US Bank arena is too "old" mainly because Cleveland is such a blue area and if they came to Cincinnati they could count on being able to whip up their Könservativen minions into a frenzy.

It's too bad Cincinnati withdrew their bid but I am sure whoever they nominate will stop by Lebanon to make an appearance at Rob Portman's haunted hotel some time in October.
Quote:
You obviously are not understanding. Cincinnati withdrew its bid, because the committee found that they didn't have the facilities and infrastructure needed. In other words, they allowed Cincinnati to withdraw before they could reject their bid.
Maybe you also misunderstand, Cleverfield. (Reread Post #108.)

As you mentioned, Cincy did indeed withdraw its bid because of late changes that the RNC insisted be made to the city's aged, privately-owned riverfront arena--and that wasn't about to happen.

However, from the very beginning, things were never quite that black/white nor public. Therefore, please realize how much Cincy's initial RNC bid was the overriding brainchild of the metro's reigning GOP multi-millionaire John F. Barrett--and how much this W&S CEO attempted to ramrod his "love of Cincinnati" (which was merely a self-serving promotion of his own W&S corner of the CBD) past his friends in uber-wealthy Indian Hill.

Well, it didn't work and Barrett ended up with egg on his face. Discreetly, his affluent associates probably knew the futility of his last-minute, ill-conceived proposal and balked at handing either him or any incoming RNC scavengers the kind of money needed to play the game. (Better give this $$$ to charity and claim a tax-break, rather than throw it all out the window to the GOP in 2016... )

Last edited by motorman; 05-24-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Maybe you also misunderstand, Cleverfield. (Reread Post #108.)

As you mentioned, Cincy did indeed withdraw its bid because of late changes that the RNC insisted be made to the city's aged, privately-owned riverfront arena--and that wasn't about to happen.

However, from the very beginning, things were never quite that black/white or public. Therefore, please realize how much Cincy's initial RNC bid was the overriding brainchild of the metro's reigning GOP multi-millionaire John F. Barrett--and how much this W&S CEO attempted to ramrod his "love of Cincinnati" (which was merely a self-serving promotion of his own W&S corner of the CBD) past his friends in uber-wealthy Indian Hill.

Well, it didn't work and Barrett ended up with egg on his face. Discreetly, his affluent associates probably knew the futility of his last-minute, ill-conceived proposal and balked at handing either him or any incoming RNC scavengers the kind of money needed to play the game. (Better give this $$$ to charity and claim a tax-break, rather than throw it all out the window to the GOP in 2016... )
I think you're missing the point here. That point is that Cleveland simply beat you guys .

Old 05-24-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I think you're missing the point here. That point is that Cleveland simply beat you guys .
Yes, indeedy! The CLEVE sure showed the 'NATI how to pony up millions of dollars to attract a Republican convention to a Democratic city--smart fellows, you are!

(BTW--and for future reference--is this how you spell "D-A-L-L-A-S"?)

Old 05-24-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, indeedy! The CLEVE sure showed the 'NATI how to pony up millions of dollars to attract a Republican convention to a Democratic city--smart fellows, you are!

Sure seemed like you had no problem with the 'Nati ponying up millions of dollars to attract a convention. I bet you wouldn't be opposed to the DNC coming there either. The economic impact from these things is huge, and far outpaces the amount of dollars spent to attract them. That economic impact is far more important to a city than politics; hence why democratic mayors like Frank Jackson fully support and endorse it. But of course you know that already.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Here we go...No one is claiming CLE victory for the RNC and certainly not both it and DNC. I know COL is trying to get the DNC; but how can COL overcome the same obstacles that got it the boot from the RNC list? Sorry, but the deal killer for Cinci was its arena and no streetcar line was going to clinch the deal either. Why didn't you mention all this Cinci ''insider'' business prior to Cinci bowing out from the competition? You should have called this before Cinci collapsed in the competition.
Btw, I hope Philly gets the 2016 DNC.
Actually, one of your ardent homers already has virtually claimed a CLE victory for the RNC, but, then again, that's his prerogative. And, as for the 2016 DNC, I agree with you; Philly would be a great choice. (Now, whether a Hillary sculpture will look as good as did the Rocky sculpture, we'll just have to wait and see...)

Most certainly, neither CBUS nor CINCY need waste money and resources luring a 2016 DNC convention, whereas CLEVE does has a chance because of its powerful Democratic support. As mentioned earlier, I can't speak for CBUS, but I can for CINCY. No matter who in the Queen City might be giving feeble lip-service to such an idea, nobody in CINCY is serious about any Democratic convention, namely because the city's such a Republican stronghold and ATM machine.

And, as for any "insider" pronouncements about either this city's aged arena or its upcoming streetcar, these things needed no introduction, other than what W&S CEO John F. Barrett was exclaiming, as he tried so diligently (at others' expense) to showcase his W&S empire for all to see and admire.

Last edited by motorman; 05-24-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-24-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, one of your ardent homers already has virtually claimed a CLE victory for the RNC, but, then again, that's his prerogative. And, as for the 2016 DNC, I agree with you; Philly would be a great choice. (Now, whether a Hillary sculpture will look as good as did the Rocky sculpture, we'll just have to wait and see...)

Most certainly, neither CBUS nor CINCY need waste money and resources luring a 2016 DNC convention, whereas CLEVE does has a chance because of its powerful Democratic support. As mentioned earlier, I can't speak for CBUS, but I can for CINCY. No matter who in the Queen City might be giving feeble lip-service to such an idea, nobody in CINCY is serious about any Democratic convention, namely because the city's such a Republican stronghold and ATM machine.

And, as for any "insider" pronouncements about either this city's aged arena or its upcoming streetcar, these things needed no introduction, other than what W&S CEO John F. Barrett was exclaiming, as he tried so diligently (at others' expense) to showcase his W&S empire for all to see and admire.
It's not that I've claimed victory, it's just that apparently the RNC thinks that we are a better city than Cincy or Cbus .

Old 05-24-2014, 01:07 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:

Like I stated earlier, why didn't you call all this ''insider'' behind-the-scenes info out prior to Cinci bailing out of the bid for the RNC? You seemed pretty confident that Cinci would land the convention prior to Thursday. The ''insider'' info I'm referring to is not the aged arena or streetcar, but the Barrett nonsense you only bring out now. Sounds like you have a major case of sour grapes, aka being jealous that CLE made the final round and Cinci had to drop-out.

Cinci's not interested in the DNC either only because the same issue will come up: bad arena. Cbus, same issues will keep the DNC away that kept the RNC away.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Sure seemed like you had no problem with the 'Nati ponying up millions of dollars to attract a convention. I bet you wouldn't be opposed to the DNC coming there either. The economic impact from these things is huge, and far outpaces the amount of dollars spent to attract them. That economic impact is far more important to a city than politics; hence why democratic mayors like Frank Jackson fully support and endorse it. But of course you know that already.
All well and good, but may we add several other "little thoughts"?

First of all, in its withdrawal from RNC consideration, the city of Cincinnati's spent negligible dollars (ka ching--money saved), whereas Cleveland's already spent or committed millions of dollars to lure a Republican convention to a Democratic city. Absolutely brilliant...or did all of that go...unnoticed?

Second, what you say about attracting such political conventions is valid--both the panache and dollar-amount of any American city landing either a RNC or DNC is considerable; maybe it will prove thus for Cleveland in 2016...

Third, at this moment you're probably coming on too strong for a city that hasn't lately won anything and someone who hasn't yet learned to spell either "D-A-L-L-A-S" or "D-O-L-L-A-R-S." (Feel free to choose one or both spellings.)

(Talk to you later, you little Cleveland fanboy, you... )

Last edited by motorman; 05-24-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio